Discovery Gaming Community
Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? (/showthread.php?tid=124056)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? - |nfrared - 12-28-2014

As initially discussed here - http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=124043 but I think this is the true issue being discussed.

So pretty simple question. Player Owned Bases that deny system entry or resource mining. Do you want these removed?

Given the amount of time it takes to make/break a POB, placement is key. There are some out there that will shoot at you while mining, or insta-vape you the moment you enter a system. I won't bother naming them, you know which ones they are. Such scenarios include new players stumbling into mining areas that are guarded by multiple turrets and guys with screwy repsheets getting toasted somewhere they shouldn't.

There will be some arguments as to "RP logic" vs gameplay in most of these. Also what should happen to those ones that are in these areas?

Discuss, and even though the subject is a touchy one keep your debate civil. Thanks.

RE: Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? - Sabru - 12-28-2014

I think that, in the few cases that it can really be justified to have a area denial POB then it should be allowed. Maybe Admin regulation via special application or something.

on the broader topic, allowing anyone to place an POB for the purpose of AOD is not a good thing.

TL;DR:
mostly bad, except the very few cases where it could really be justified.
Possible Admin regulation for the few cases.

RE: Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? - Lucky Buzz - 12-28-2014

If part of sensible rp.

(are there any now?)

RE: Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? - Stoner_Steve - 12-28-2014

(12-28-2014, 02:48 AM)Sabru Wrote: I think that, in the few cases that it can really be justified to have a area denial POB then it should be allowed. Maybe Admin regulation via special application or something.
on the broader topic, allowing anyone to place an POB for the purpose of AOD is not a good thing.
TL;DR:
mostly bad, except the very few cases where it could really be justified.
Possible Admin regulation for the few cases.
Isn't that the point of having to submit requests to get above a core 2?
And unfortunately that only solves the problem going forward, I have a feeling the majority of complaints are coming from already built bases, and forcing them to re-apply because a few members of the community don't like it is out of line.
A better question is which bases actually deny passage, I keep asking because I've never seen one, and no one seems to want to tell me either, which leads me to conclude that they don't exist.

edit: Yes I know about Puerto Rico, I'm asking about anything besides Puerto Rico

RE: Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? - Remnant - 12-28-2014

We read over the Core Upgrade requests.

If under the purpose of the base is to serve a storage purpose, where it really blocks a jumphole or mining field for the purpose of defending it, we'll shake our heads and either remove it or move the base.

If it's stated that it'll defend a jumphole or field, we look for included information and roleplay behind the thing. Only then do we decide to accept or deny the request.

We try to keep things regulated, where if it's a senseless base causing trouble, we'll probably have a few words with the owners. Mostly seems to be on the situational basis, although trouble without reason usually rises action up.

RE: Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? - Alestone - 12-28-2014

I think that the issue is a bit more difficult than traffic control POBs.

After all, there are NPC weapons platforms and bases scattered through out the mod, and many of them can wax you just as readily as POBs. Without a warning of some sort, the school of hard knocks is the only way to find those.

RE: Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? - |nfrared - 12-28-2014

As another couple of examples, the one in the Humboldt Silver field, and the one on the Gamma side of the O-41>Gamma JH. I heard there is one in the Dublin mining area now as well.

RE: Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? - HuggieSunrise - 12-28-2014

And to reiterate my points in the previous thread.. The siege that happened in hudson basically led to a complete breakdown of rp. This is probably the MOST damning evidence the whole system should be bunked and turned off. Cause apparently it only inspires the dumbest behavior inspite of and flying in the face of all the rules we uphold here.

Its rediculus.

RE: Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? - St.Denis - 12-28-2014

Quote:And to reiterate my points in the previous thread.. The siege that happened in hudson basically led to a complete breakdown of rp. This is probably the MOST damning evidence the whole system should be bunked and turned off. Cause apparently it only inspires the dumbest behavior inspite of and flying in the face of all the rules we uphold here.

Its rediculus.

So now we lay the blame on inanimate objects and not at the feet of the people who play the Game?

There wouldn't be much left in the Game if we deleted everything that was used, by people, for ooRP things or that were involved in a complete breakdown of RP. Kusari Caps and Rogue Caps were used in Colorado, including some other ships, in a supposed breakdown of RP. Let's delete them as well.

That would be ridiculous.

RE: Area Denial via POB's - Want this gone? - Jack_Henderson - 12-28-2014

Yes, forbid area denial/blocking bases.

Remember the old Goldern Coin & King's Cross and what it did to Sair raids into Bretonia?
Remember Puerto and what it did to Gamma raids?
Remember Falster at the O7 gate? (IMG| had it moved, to re-open the piracy spot to rekindly activity in the region)

They wrecked actvity.
In their lesser form (area denial) they are still wrecking activity.

Especially POBs in mining fields. Pretty much everybody has them, and makes piracy/interaction pretty much impossible. Try Nagano, try Omega 7 (Kruger), try Dublin (BMM), try Texas (Junkers)... t ry some of the dozens of other POBs that guarantee 100 % safety, no risk, no roleplay, no interaction. Get into scanner range => dock.

These bases just do one thing. They promote safe grinding until one has everything and silently leaves the game, refreshing his 10 billion bank ships twice every 5 months.