Discovery Gaming Community
I think I cold-damaged my office PC - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: I think I cold-damaged my office PC (/showthread.php?tid=124100)

Pages: 1 2

I think I cold-damaged my office PC - sindroms - 12-29-2014

After not showing up at the office for a week, I learned that my office PC is not booting up.

The temperature is around 5c right now and as I am typing this, I've yet to even bother taking off my winter coat.
Needless to say, it gets to the second bios page and then it is a black screen. If I look closely, the monitor has these slow horozontal lines moving downwards.

That's about it.
What do?

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - Sylvie557 - 12-29-2014

Throw it in a microwave to heat it up? Seriously though no clue

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - baivan - 12-29-2014

IF it is damaged,it wasn't the cold.
Maybe the cleaning-lady?

My tip:open it,disconnect all the cables,check the power unit,connect all the cables,fire it up with fingers crossed.

P.S
I advise you never to turn off work-pc.Just disconnect it from network when you have vacation.

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - Praetor - 12-29-2014

Please for the sake of saving energy don't leave your work(or any) PC on when not in use.

The problem sounds like interference, please unplug the display cable and plug it back properly.
If the problem still persists then open up the CPU case and take out the graphic card(give it a good blow job and the slot too).Check for any physical faults and place it back in.
If the same problem happens then open everything up and clean it all and plug it back in.

Hope this helps.

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - nOmnomnOm - 12-29-2014

The lifespan of the computer will decrease if it is left on .

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - baivan - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 02:14 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: The lifespan of the computer will decrease if it is left on .

Not true.
What is decreasing its lifespan is the moment you power it on.Two words, start current.Thats why most electrical systems gets damaged the moment you turn them on.
Combine that with planned obsolescence and "for the sake of saving energy don't leave your work(or any) PC on" and you have a nice picture.
If you want to save energy there are way more efficient ways then "turn it off when u you dont use it" .

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - SMGSterlin - 12-29-2014

Question is, Spazzy, are you the employee or owner?

If you're the employee, then tell the boss that the PC is broke and then it's his problem. If you're the boss, then, well, try what Baivan said. If that doesn't work, maybe pop in a new hard drive and see if you can install an OS?

Kinda hard to diagnose the problem based on what you said.

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - VinitS - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 09:30 AM)baivan Wrote: IF it is damaged,it wasn't the cold.
Maybe the cleaning-lady?

My tip:open it,disconnect all the cables,check the power unit,connect all the cables,fire it up with fingers crossed.

P.S
I advise you never to turn off work-pc.Just disconnect it from network when you have vacation.

you invented some clean energy or something? Advising people to waste energy.....
its your money but its the cost of resources earth has to payy...

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - Fluffyball - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 04:32 PM)SMGSterlin Wrote: If you're the employee, then tell the boss that the PC is broke and then it's his problem.

In Poland you'd be fined by damaging the company's hardware. XD

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - dirmaster0 - 12-29-2014

Chkdsk your HD, if it comes back with 0KB bad sectors, you may need to reinstall the OS. If its not something hardware related its most likely a corrupt boot loader or corruption in the Master Boot Record (which would explain why it dies prior to windows just after BIOS).
First things first, tell your work you need heat in your office Tongue Thats just ridiculous