Discovery Gaming Community
Hivemind, I require your assistance! - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Hivemind, I require your assistance! (/showthread.php?tid=124566)

Hivemind, I require your assistance! - Pancakes - 01-11-2015

So, I am doing this research in university, in which I need to analyze a video feed (picture analysis). The analysis itself is little issue and will be done with MATLAB combined with LABVIEW, however I am in need for help in selecting the photography tools.

I am going to take a video of a 50 [cm] model, and I need that each pixel will represent 10 micro-meters in the video, I need it to also go at least 60 FPS and to have the least amount of smudging as possible (so that pixels in the edges will represent the size as close as possible to the pixels in the middle).

Think of taking a live feed of an ant and being able to zoom into its legs and being able to view it in a good manner.

Budget is ~1000$

RE: Hivemind, I require your assistance! - Nerva - 01-11-2015

(01-11-2015, 12:52 PM)Pancakes Wrote: I am going to take a video of a 50 [cm] model, and I need that each pixel will represent 10 micro-meters in the video, I need it to also go at least 60 FPS and to have the least amount of smudging as possible (so that pixels in the edges will represent the size as close as possible to the pixels in the middle).

I cannot really help acquiring this but ... are you absolutely sure you need a camera with such immense resolution?

Because if I'm understanding it right:
- The object is 500 millimeters wide and you want one pixel to represent approximately 0.01 millimeters of said object.
- Assuming the object fits the image perfectly, this amounts to 50 000 pixels on that axis.
- With 4:3 aspect ratio, the other axis has 37 500 pixels. A bit less if it's 16:9.
- A single image would have 1 875 Megapixels. This is way too much. A grayscale image of that size would take about 1.8GB of system memory.

For a camera like that, $1000 won't be enough by far. Not sure if even $1 million will suffice. Unless you steal a spy satellite.

I prefer not to delve into the issue of transferring 60 of these images each second, from the camera to the PC, and then processing them at the same rate.

Hopefully, I'm misunderstanding something.

Edit: Word.

RE: Hivemind, I require your assistance! - Pancakes - 01-11-2015

(01-11-2015, 09:48 PM)Corundum Wrote:
(01-11-2015, 12:52 PM)Pancakes Wrote: I am going to take a video of a 50 [cm] model, and I need that each pixel will represent 10 micro-meters in the video, I need it to also go at least 60 FPS and to have the least amount of smudging as possible (so that pixels in the edges will represent the size as close as possible to the pixels in the middle).

I cannot really help acquiring this but ... are you absolutely sure you need a camera with such immense resolution?

Because if I'm understanding it right:
- The object is 500 millimeters wide and you want one pixel to represent approximately 0.01 millimeters of said object.
- Assuming the object fits the image perfectly, this amounts to 50 000 pixels on that axis.
- With 4:3 aspect ratio, the other axis has 37 500 pixels. A bit less if it's 16:9.
- A single image would have 1 875 Megapixels. This is way too much. A grayscale image of that size would take about 1.8GB of system memory.

For a camera like that, $1000 won't be enough by far. Not sure if even $1 million will suffice. Unless you steal a spy satellite.

I prefer not to delve into the issue of transferring 60 of these images each second, from the camera to the PC, and then processing them at the same rate.

Hopefully, I'm misunderstanding something.

Edit: Word.
No you got it right, I just forgot a 0 in there. Should've been 100 micro-meters. that'd give 5,000 pixels for the long axis.