Discovery Gaming Community
Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? (/showthread.php?tid=125338)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? - Narcotic - 01-28-2015

Just out of curiosity.

While at it, add me to your contacts if you like (narcotic235). I'd love to bash/group up with familiar faces once the multiplayer goes live.

Speaking of, I wonder if there's already some SC groups/organisations/factions coming from our community. And if you pledged, how much, what ship/s and items? What do you expect from the game? Will it be a Freelancer 2? Are you following its open developement?

Also, I'm kind of curious on the impact that the release of SC have on Disco. The poll might answer my question, too. Not sure if this was discussed before, or whether people were too afraid of thinking about it. After all, there hasn't been a good multiplayer space sim since a decade.

By the way, how are you feelings about the hype?

Looking forward to your answers & poll outcome.
(I know that there's already other SC threads, however I had to create a new one for the poll.)

RE: Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? - Corile - 01-28-2015

I succumbed to the hype.
I pledged.
I threw away 75€ (315p).
I hate the flight model.
Mistakes were made.

I am however a member of 317th Squadron (as Codename) under Terran Colonial Forces. If anyone played on HHC, this is what's left of the good old Western Alliance (ANS-Terra, never forget). I know that crashbx and Mindless (what a fitting nickname indeed) have thrown away over 10'000€ combined (which is bloody bonkers as for something that hasn't come out yet, like srsly).

(btw, the "hardcore" and "role play" part in the tags is a complete lies)

RE: Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? - Omi - 01-28-2015

I guess I ticked everything applicable there.

I've already pledged for some dirt-tier pack (I remember it including alpha and beta access, and maybe an RSI Hornet or something? I dunno, it was only like £25) and I, of course, plan to play the thing when it's out. I haven't touched any of these 'early release' modules, though.

Having seen the colossal mess that Elite: Dangerous turned into, my already-waning hope for Star Citizen isn't recovering any time soon. I hope it will live up to the hype train (who doesn't?), but in all honesty I can't see that happening.

Best case realistic scenario, IMO, is that we get an extremely solid, enjoyable, multiplayer-focused space shooter - with support for roleplay, god forbid - which acts as a spiritual successor to Freelancer/Disco/some sort of pseudo-Freelancer 2. That's about all I can ask for. Expecting them to build a game that's utter light years ahead of anything else is, I think, a bit much - but with the amount of money and passion they're dumping in, I do have hopes that something that is at least reasonable will pop out the other end.

Then again, it's entirely possible that the devs could self-destruct an otherwise incredible game (cough cough Frontier Developments cough cough). We'll just have to wait and see.

RE: Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? - ProwlerPC - 01-28-2015

It's the same lead dev who created Freelancer. An outrageously ambitious minded fellow. I've done a pledge to his work before, this time I'm wiser to just sit and wait. Not to say that I think it'll be crap, I've played Freelancer for over a decade from when Microsoft hosted the servers to when I finally stepped down from my role here. Awhile back he's been found and contacted by members from here in Disco concerning the source code. I never contacted him myself but I've read all the correspondance and he seems like a nice enthusiastic person. I am certain he is more motivated to putting out a product that has a wow factor then he is in lining his wallet. A holdover mentality from the early days of gaming in it's infancy when each game concept coming out was brand new script, not copy pasted from another work. He must be soooo stressed. I wish him luck and when it's out I hope to check it out and maybe become a longtime fan of it just as I became with Freelancer.

RE: Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? - Chuba - 01-28-2015

no wont play that game its crap waste of money

RE: Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? - HighHopes - 01-28-2015

It looks cool and great ... but I will not play it. Not even working on my pc Smile so.. naah

RE: Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? - Stoat - 01-28-2015

I'm hoping it fills a niche nicely between Freelancer and Eve. I'll definitely play it, though I've not pledged anything. As for what it'll do to Disco, that'll depend on what it actually offers as a fully released game. It may kill Disco if it's good, it may reinforce our love of Disco, and Freelancer, in general if it fails.

RE: Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? - tyro - 01-28-2015

I have pledged, but I lost a hope, that a full release ever appears.

RE: Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? - AshHill07 - 01-28-2015

I have not pledged at all, and I've already called it a year ago that it'll fall flat on its face.

Feature Creep (Definition): see "Star Citizen".

RE: Star Citizen - Did you pledge & what do you expect? - Cælumaresh - 01-29-2015

Ill wait for its initial release when all things are sorted out