Discovery Gaming Community
New PC - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: New PC (/showthread.php?tid=125691)

Pages: 1 2

New PC - Ellie - 02-07-2015

Greetings,

I am planning on buying a new PC and I wanted to know if it will be able to run Discovery without any issues.

But I am also trying to decide what RAM, CPU and MB setup I should get.

Setup A is a cheaper option of an Intel Core i7-4790K, 32GB DDR3 RAM and an Z97 motherboard.
Setup B is a more expensive setup of an Intel Core i7-5820K, 32GB DDR4 RAM and an X99 motherboard.

The other specs are

Obviously the main priority for this PC is to run the Discovery mod, but I would also like to do some gaming, 3d modelling with 3ds Max and Maya as well as using Photoshop CC and Sony Vegas. If anyone can give me their opinion on which setup I should go for and whether it will run Discovery, I will greatly appreciate it.

RE: New PC - sindroms - 02-07-2015

DDR4 is overrated.
OC decent DDR3s and you will get the same performance.

Also, the better the rig, the bigger the possibility that there might be problems with Disco.

RE: New PC - Rebirth - 02-07-2015

Everyone is so fancy on having useless 32,64 GB ram even when you do rendering, I'm just all like - dafuq is this. And the Intel, lel. Okay, Intel has a better performance when doing office work - but AMD proves in gaming/price value. However, 32GB RAM --- no-go.

OP is right, DDR4 is overrated, get DDR3, as DDR4 increases only (5%)? or what was it again) perfomance and this is most likely nuffin.

SSD from crucial, not rly good. If you would spare 50 bucks more you get one from Samsung that has an MTBF of 150TB. The crucial has only 72TB MTBF. This means when you buy the one from samsung evo series the SSD will hold 2x longer.

RE: New PC - Narcotic - 02-08-2015

Discovery runs with onboard graphics, 1 GB RAM and Intel Atom 1GHz.

What you plan to buy can run Crysis 4 ...

That said, Disco ran smoother on my older setup (constant 60fps), than it does on my newer (20-180fps).

RE: New PC - Mickk - 02-08-2015

(02-07-2015, 10:27 PM)Ellie Wrote: Greetings,

I am planning on buying a new PC and I wanted to know if it will be able to run Discovery without any issues.

But I am also trying to decide what RAM, CPU and MB setup I should get.

Setup A is a cheaper option of an Intel Core i7-4790K, 32GB DDR3 RAM and an Z97 motherboard.
Setup B is a more expensive setup of an Intel Core i7-5820K, 32GB DDR4 RAM and an X99 motherboard.

The other specs are

Obviously the main priority for this PC is to run the Discovery mod, but I would also like to do some gaming, 3d modelling with 3ds Max and Maya as well as using Photoshop CC and Sony Vegas. If anyone can give me their opinion on which setup I should go for and whether it will run Discovery, I will greatly appreciate it.

I wouldn't worry about Disco not running on either of those PC's, the only problem you might have is figuring out how to get a proper install.

I'm running Disco on a fairly old system, an i5 with 4 GB of ram and a 1GB video card and it runs very smoothly with all of the 'bells and whistles' turned on.

RE: New PC - evanz - 02-08-2015

".....Everyone is so fancy on having useless 32,64 GB ram even when you do rendering, I'm just all like - dafuq is this...."

bless, one day you'll understand

RE: New PC - Radion - 02-08-2015

looking at the specs, you obviously have money to spend. Therefore I would not recommend what the other guy said as AMD is only competitive at pricing, not performance. If your motherboard has a m.2 port, you should get a ssd for that and remove the sata3 one. normally I wouldn't recommend 32gb of ram, but you said you were doing rendering and it looks like you have the budget, so go for it and about ddr4, yeah, there isn't much benefit in performance, but again, if you want to spend the money, go for it. If you are worried about playing disco, don't be. I have decade old Toshiba Tegras running it fine. Rendering, however takes processing power and ram.
TL;DR: If you have the money and are passionate about it, more power too you and replace the ssd with an m.2 one. If you need to mortgage your house over it or cut some meals, don't.

RE: New PC - tothebonezone - 02-08-2015

Make sure you get a 1000w PSU

Why?

The better question is, why not?

RE: New PC - Rebirth - 02-08-2015

(02-08-2015, 03:45 AM)evanz Wrote: ".....Everyone is so fancy on having useless 32,64 GB ram even when you do rendering, I'm just all like - dafuq is this...."
bless, one day you'll understand
64 Gig. You won't need it unless you are running 3 games on 3 monitors and rendering lotz of models/vidz in the background. I wonder which person would be capable of doing so many things at once.

16 gig would be enuff, but however it's his cash.

P:S: if you cannot decide take the first one (q_q)

RE: New PC - onca - 02-09-2015

You won't have any issues with that hardware, even using the Intel on-chip HD graphics.

The only issues you may have is with Windows 8, if you're so inclined. I haven't had any problems with Win7, as with most users I'm sure.