Discovery Gaming Community
Game crashing when joining server - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Game crashing when joining server (/showthread.php?tid=126002)

Pages: 1 2

Game crashing when joining server - Zero - 02-11-2015

Hi everyone,

The problem i have is when ever i try and join a server i just get a crash to desktop, no error messages, just black screen, then desktop, then nothing.

I have look for fixes like the DSAce.dll being blocked by my firewall or antivirus, but its not being touched and its also allowed through.

All drivers are installed and up to date, and i have tried reinstalling both freelancer and discovery at lest 3 times and still the same thing over and over.

I have deleted my character and made a new one and again just crashes to desktop when try and join a server.

I have tried running as admin and in compatibility but still no luck.

Im running windows 8 on an AMD FX-9590, 16Gb of ram and a GTX 750 Ti.

If someone could help that would be great because i really want to play this mod with my friends that are already on the server.

Thanks Zero

RE: Game crashing when joining server - Caelann - 02-12-2015

Do you crash when selecting a character and trying to actually enter the server to play the game? Because I'm having that problem also, no matter what server I try to join (I even tried making a local server of my own, to no avail). I was going to make a new thread but if your problem is the same (and it sounds like it), then I might as well post here.

I just reinstalled Freelancer and Disco .88 (torrent installer), then ran DSLauncher to update the files, joined a server with a new account, made a new character, and I get a crash to desktop with no errors listed in FLSpew. I have no anti-virus running, DSAce is present and the launcher's restore option echoes that, I've reinstalled with no bloom effect, I've tried running in windowed mode, I've deleted the saves and PerfOptions folder, same result. Single-player works fine, though, which is weird. I'm running WinXP SP3, NVidia drivers are up-to-date, haven't tried any compatibility modes, though.

Oh, and though I can confirm I have been able to log in to servers in past versions (.86 I believe?), I have never been able to properly turn on widescreen support (-dx does nothing, new option in the launcher does nothing, everything reverts to 1024x768. Only thing that works is changing the resolution directly in PerfOptions). Also HudShift never worked for my resolution (1360x768), even after moving the INI file to the Interface folder. The menus always get cut-off into the side.

EDIT: Here's my FLSpew log:
Also I noticed this error on the Windows event viewer:

RE: Game crashing when joining server - Major_Mayhem - 02-12-2015

I had that issue, when I screwed up a regedit. Uninstalling and re-installing of *vanilla* Freelancer solved the problem.

I reinstalled vanilla too but that didn't solve it. :/ Do you happen to know which registry entries are problematic? Maybe they haven't been reset after the reinstall (I doubt it, though).

RE: Game crashing when joining server - Alestone - 02-12-2015

Folks,

Please check this thread.

Yea, I did read that topic, but sadly it's not a virus false positive:

(02-11-2015, 08:29 PM)Zero Wrote: I have look for fixes like the DSAce.dll being blocked by my firewall or antivirus, but its not being touched and its also allowed through.

(02-12-2015, 09:03 PM)Caelann Wrote: I get a crash to desktop with no errors listed in FLSpew. I have no anti-virus running, DSAce is present and the launcher's restore option echoes that

I've posted the FLSpew log under a spoiler in my previous post, but nothing in particular seems suspicious.

RE: Game crashing when joining server - djoser1970 - 02-12-2015

A question do you have a blinking curssor on the top left of the screen? But the screen is black? If so just do this " ctrl+alt+del " depressed all at the sametime. you'll goto the admin start window hit cancel. You should be back at your windows page with the FL icon in the lower box, click the icon that should do it.

The other problem I had it would close at start-up and the icon in the lower box, sometimes it would say that. " FL couldn't find a compatable 3d card, do you still want to proceed" I click OK and the game would launch.

These are the only problems I have had, I also updated all my "Adobe programs" there is a new versions released a few weeks ago, I have had no issues since. I use drive booster 2 to update all my software and programs.

I hope that info helps ya,

RE: Game crashing when joining server - Major_Mayhem - 02-12-2015

(02-12-2015, 09:31 PM)Caelann Wrote: I reinstalled vanilla too but that didn't solve it. :/ Do you happen to know which registry entries are problematic? Maybe they haven't been reset after the reinstall (I doubt it, though).

A re-install does not delete problematic entries. You need to actually completely uninstall and maybe check the registry for errors before installing vanilla FL again. Which entries are problematic I don't know.

Again: I was fooling around in the registry on purpose, to reset vistited status on a server and f*d up to make my situation happen.

RE: Game crashing when joining server - Caelann - 02-13-2015

@djoser1970 Not in my case, nope. Freelancer completely crashes, and the process is only terminated once dxdiag finishes doing whatever it does when FL crashes (I did check dxdiag to see if there were any problems listed but there weren't any. Unless there's some other place I haven't looked yet). But no, I can't return to the game because it's an actual crash (and SP works, so it shouldn't be a video card problem I don't think?).

@Major_Mayhem I mean, when I say I "reinstalled", I mean I uninstalled first, and then installed again. Should have clarified that. Tongue I'll try doing it again and deleting the entire FL registry tree in case it's not deleted automatically. But I think we might just be SOL with this, unless OP's logs can provide some clues.

RE: Game crashing when joining server - djoser1970 - 02-13-2015

(02-13-2015, 12:10 AM)Caelann Wrote: @djoser1970 Not in my case, nope. Freelancer completely crashes, and the process is only terminated once dxdiag finishes doing whatever it does when FL crashes (I did check dxdiag to see if there were any problems listed but there weren't any. Unless there's some other place I haven't looked yet). But no, I can't return to the game because it's an actual crash (and SP works, so it shouldn't be a video card problem I don't think?).

@Major_Mayhem I mean, when I say I "reinstalled", I mean I uninstalled first, and then installed again. Should have clarified that. Tongue I'll try doing it again and deleting the entire FL registry tree in case it's not deleted automatically. But I think we might just be SOL with this, unless OP's logs can provide some clues.

That sucks....but I don't believe your SOL....( this is with my older laptop) there is a solution to every problem, you just have to navigate through the issues. In the very beginning I had major problems I removed every file possible. I used IOBIT Uninstaller ( then a deep removal of all hidden files ) it removes everything. I started fresh I backed up my SP game file to a flash and I began from scratch, I updated all my software/drivers absolutely everything, I installed a very fresh copy ( not a single FL file was on my system, loaded the game then the patch, etc. etc.etc. making sure everything was working along the way. ( I'm not saying you didn't or have not done this ) but with patience and effort, with in the week it was up and going. I was worried about this latest patch but I had no issues, at first I couldn't find the Discovery Launcher. It was in my Apps file-I made a short cut and it started with no issues.

Side Note.....I have the ASUS ROG laptop now, it's a monster of a laptop 24 Ram, 1.25 total TB It has 1 TB HD with 256 SSD, 880 GFX Graffix, a dual external HD of 4 more TB., it has all the bells and whistles.
I had issues running FL with Windows 8 so I dumped that for Win 7 Ultimate and FL works just fine. Something with 8 screws with FL -depends on the system I guess. For some 8 works fine others not so lucky.
i HATE Windows 8.... if you can stay with 7.

Good luck I hope you get it working again.
Cheers....