Discovery Gaming Community
Freelancer 4.87 for a Single player. Discussion - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Freelancer 4.87 for a Single player. Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=127767)

Freelancer 4.87 for a Single player. Discussion - Wombat1940 - 03-27-2015

I've started this thread for those who wish to play Discovery Freelancer - Conquest (DFL-C) as a single player (SP). Its not a "how to do it", but more "trying to find the best way to do it" and get the most out of it. We can all fly around the various solar systems in SP: charting, exploring, fighting, trading, etc, however is there more? No ...... I'm not interested in Open SP (or what ever its called), Ioncross SP hardware, replaying the Edison Trent storyline in a different flying suit, I just want to immerse myself in DFL-C v4.87. Why version 4.87? Its the one I've got, its stable, its downloadable and I've flown and charted every km in every solar system. Besides ..... I'm old, and I've done my multiplay (MP) "thing" in lots of flight sims (Falcon, TAW, etc). Enough is enough. Wink Its SP for me and hopefully many others.

So ....... its DFL-C v4.87 and I'll leave v4.84, v4.86, v4.88.1, etc to others.

My observations so far:

1. There doesn't appear to any new storyline for DFL-C v4.87 Single Play. So be it and not unexpected.
2. I've retained my status as a Freelancer and my only enemy is the WILD. In charting details of each solar system, I have made a pictorial copy of
each, noting the position of all Jump Holes (JH's) and Jump Gates (JG's), minefields, volatile gas locations, base allegiance, etc. I didn't fire on
anybody during my reconnaissance, thus remaining a friend ( or at least neutral) with each faction. The only fraction I could be-friend was the WILD!
So, when encountered I ,just ran. Big Grin
3. I've now tried to be-friend the ZONERS. They're a bit of a loner group, lot like me. I paid a single bribe and we became "friends" but they wouldn't let
me buy there ID card. Sad Maybe they want a bigger or a second bribe ...... ?
4. So I've decided to take on the WILD making sneaking runs from the apparent safety of Omega-5, into Omega-9, and picking fights with small groups
of WILD packages. But I can't do this all on my own. I need some Non Player Character (NPC) faction(s) to help me. I'm working on it ......... Wink

I suppose I am Role Playing (RP) but in a SP mode and I like that. Interesting to see where it takes me.

I you wish to discuss, contribute, feel free.

RE: Freelancer 4.87 for a Single player. Discussion - Tsuzumi Mori - 03-27-2015

I'm sorry to sadden you, but Discovery is more Multiplayer-oriented mod. For majority, I believe, SP is for checking where something is sold or how place looks like. Moreover, even if you tried to play SP, saves are always removed upon opening a launcher.

I hope this answers your question.

RE: Freelancer 4.87 for a Single player. Discussion - jammi - 03-27-2015

Unfortunately, the single player campaign was disabled after .84 because it was hampering design changes that needed to be made for online gameplay. If the campaign was to be turned back on, the fact that several JHs and JGs have been moved would result in the scripts immediately breaking and the game crashing.

RE: Freelancer 4.87 for a Single player. Discussion - Wombat1940 - 03-27-2015

Thanks team. But I'm not looking to play any campaign. I'm SP freelancing in the 4.87 environment. Currently I'm at the opening default level 10, piloting a E78-12 "Spatial" brought I can't remember where. I have it well fitted out but my combat ability is abysmal. I've been too busy charting details for each solar system ..... but I'm working on it. The required level of combat competency for DFL-C v4.87 missions with their minimum difficulty levels of 28 is currently beyond me. I might need to go back to training school using the original Freelancer, with mission difficult levels less than 3, to improve my combat skills.
My total value is currently $9.5mil plus. I pick up credits by formation flying with other factions and tractoring the results of their fire fights with other factions. (Just formation flew with 3 Red Hussians taking on 4 Corsairs which netted me 150 000 credits and I didn't get a scratch. Ha!) Remember I'm a friend or neutral to all factions other than the WILD.
Cheating? I don't think so. I an neutral observer.
Boring? Well yes, but that's life and currently it reflects my RP status: recruit. We can't all be Jet Jackson's ..... Big Grin
I'm finding "Sindroms" U-tube tutorial clips at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H46tmZ8wVNU a great help.
Well ...... I'll press on ....... need to see if I can get a Hussian package to engage a WILD package ...... I could fire a few shots then! Shy ..... need to have a go at mining inline with U-tube advice from Sindroms.
Thanks again for the input.

RE: Freelancer 4.87 for a Single player. Discussion - jammi - 03-27-2015

Unfortunately, the mining functions in Discovery are conducted through FLHook, which is an online plugin tool. Trying to mine offline with be very, very frustrating because you will only receive the base drop rate, and the sellpoints for ore are all set serverside.

A lot of this mod's functions will only work online, which sadly means you're only getting some of the potential benefits. One solution could be to host your own private server with all of the FLHook plugins running, which would expand your options considerably.

You'd also then have access to the server console, and could edit particular features of your ship (i.e. starting rep for your character's tale) to your preferred parameters.

RE: Freelancer 4.87 for a Single player. Discussion - Wombat1940 - 03-28-2015

(03-27-2015, 02:08 PM)jammi Wrote: Unfortunately, the mining functions in Discovery are conducted through FLHook, which is an online plugin tool. Trying to mine offline with be very, very frustrating because you will only receive the base drop rate, and the sellpoints for ore are all set serverside.
Thanks Jammi.
Disappointing. But I'm still determined to remain offline. I had hoped FLHook was an add-on, modfication or a patch. Seems that is not the case. I've tried mining (uncut diamonds) but the rewards were poor. However I need to reflect on my recently acquired SP-RP objective: to obliterate the WILD. OK ...... stop laughing, but that's what my imaginary character wants. Cool Maybe I save up and buy a Battleship and jump into Omega-55 guns blaising. Wink [I need better smilies! The one where he rolls around the floor laughing.]
OK .... I think mining is out. Looking for other options ...... stay tuned. Thanks again.
EDIT: What if I installed 4.84 and ditched 4.87??? I have a copy.

RE: Freelancer 4.87 for a Single player. Discussion - Wombat1940 - 04-03-2015

I'm trying to become friendlier with the CORSAIRS. I've paid the bribe, they've turned "green" and I've gone out on missions with them (as a novice Freelancer) targeting numerous OUTCASTS. But I'm still excluded from buying their ID Card. How else can I become friendlier? Thanks.