Discovery Gaming Community
Desktop GPUs on Laptops? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Desktop GPUs on Laptops? (/showthread.php?tid=129898)

Pages: 1 2

Desktop GPUs on Laptops? - Connor - 05-27-2015

So, I was looking around when I came across something that I thought was impossible. Apparently, external graphics cards for laptops are a thing and work with old laptops with integrated cards. Below is the video I found based on this.

Would anyone recommend anything like this at all? What are the chances of it working? Is it a viable options or is there a potential for being scammed because this thing doesn't really exist? I'm tempted on getting one but I just want to know what you guys think.

I'm currently using a Pavilion G6 noteboook thingy if that helps.

RE: Desktop GPUs on Laptops? - Foochow - 05-27-2015

I saw this before, since I stumbled up on it in my profession. Seems like a decent workaround, so you don't have to buy a new laptop.

It depends on how much will you need to spend for that external PCI-E slot... Also, how it behaves on a longer period of time. Judging by this video, you'll need to keep that external PCI-E slot on a safe place where you won't spill anything on it, maybe some custom made 'box' to protect it from dust a bit. Also an external power feed is needed.

Just seems like a lot of mess to me, unless you do it right and hide all the stuff from the plain sight Smile

RE: Desktop GPUs on Laptops? - sindroms - 05-27-2015

Remember that you need an external monitor for this setup.
For most, it is a workaround, not a replacement.

RE: Desktop GPUs on Laptops? - Error - 05-27-2015

Those things do absolutely exist, it's just that finding a laptop that supports it (or where it is easy to hack it in in one way or another) is rather seldom, as this is obviously not an intended functionality out-of-the box on most of them. I would probably not recommend it myself, as getting it to work is /probably/ going to be a pain on most laptops, and do often not have the expected performance gains and it does obviously reduce the portability and practicality quite a bit depending on how easy it is to set it up and take it down each time you need to move the laptop. That's obviously not much of a concern if the laptop isn't moved around, though, but it's still probably going to get a bit messy on anything but the few (gaming) laptops out there that are made to support it.

EDIT: And yeah, the external monitor requirement is also rather important unless your laptop happens to have a display input.

RE: Desktop GPUs on Laptops? - Foochow - 05-27-2015

Yeah, nowadays most of the laptops don't have the HDMI input since the manufacturer needs to pay an additional license for placing a HDMI input on their line of laptops :O

RE: Desktop GPUs on Laptops? - jammi - 05-27-2015

Honestly, it seems less like a workaround and more like getting yourself an underpowered, exposed and vulnerable desktop. Seeing as you immediately sacrifice portability by adding an external card and you usually need a monitor, you might as well go all the way and just buy a desktop.

RE: Desktop GPUs on Laptops? - SILENT KNIGHT - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 07:02 PM)Snoopy Wrote: So, I was looking around when I came across something that I thought was impossible. Apparently, external graphics cards for laptops are a thing and work with old laptops with integrated cards. Below is the video I found based on this.

Would anyone recommend anything like this at all? What are the chances of it working? Is it a viable options or is there a potential for being scammed because this thing doesn't really exist? I'm tempted on getting one but I just want to know what you guys think.

I'm currently using a Pavilion G6 noteboook thingy if that helps.

seems really nice, well i wold join you in getting one cause my laptop has a ati x1600 graphics card its 128mb but have pushed it a bit with company of heros and other games but that would be awesome for us old laptop users.

RE: Desktop GPUs on Laptops? - Connor - 05-28-2015

I have an external monitor that I can just pick out and set up. So, basically I need to find out if my laptop is compatible? Any idea on how to do that?

RE: Desktop GPUs on Laptops? - Foochow - 05-28-2015

(05-28-2015, 11:10 AM)Snoopy Wrote: I have an external monitor that I can just pick out and set up. So, basically I need to find out if my laptop is compatible? Any idea on how to do that?

If you have the knowledge or watch how to do it on youtube. You would have to open it's backside to check if it has an additional PCI-E slot if not, you'll have to plug out your WiFi card while you use this external PCI-E slot

RE: Desktop GPUs on Laptops? - Error - 05-28-2015

I'd say that it's probably rather optimistic on the G6. As far as I can see it's only got a PCIe x1 slot which the wireless card is in (as @Foochow said) which will severely limit the performance of any graphics card you may decide to plug in there (graphics cards usually run on x8/x16-speed slots), provided that it even works in the first place, of course: I can't see any previous attempts at this for the G6 anywhere online, unfortunately.

Probably not the answer you wanted, I know, but as mentioned above, it's unfortunately more of a workaround than a replacement; it comes with a whole lot of downsides and you'll probably still be limited by the performance of the CPU on the G6 in most games even if the GPU can keep up.