Discovery Gaming Community
Log Book: Hirschel Energy R&D - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Log Book: Hirschel Energy R&D (/showthread.php?tid=130280)

Pages: 1 2

Log Book: Hirschel Energy R&D - Hirschel Energy R and D - 06-06-2015

822/06/06
Kansas system, Wichita Polar Orbit
Charles Alestone, Director JWRP

I am formally opening the logs for the Junction Wreck Reconstruction Project (JWRP).

We have completed the initial depot station. It ended up being named Wichita Orbital R&D, although the station is actually more of warehouse for the equipment and supplies than any kind of real lab.

The next item of in the project will be to get the Junkers involved with moving the wreck out to Topeka's orbit. I am not expecting this to be a simple matter, but AndyH and I had discussed it at one point and he assured me that it could be done. They are the salvage experts, so I am trusting that they know what they are talking about.

While individual particles of dark matter are available throughout the system, there is a higher concentration of them in a cloud in Topeka's vicinity. It is also much further away from the jump hole and Wichita.

I will also need to start soliciting contractors for supplies. I am sure that independents, as well as some of the bigger names, will be interested. After all, while the hauls will hopefully be boring, the money will be good.

Comms Log - Hirschel Energy R and D - 06-06-2015

JWRP Comms logs (quasi oorp)

Charles Alestone's Journal
Initial Forum Proposal
Charles Alestone and a Junker
Ithaca Station, Kansas and the Junction Survey
Attempt to find rival claimants
Liberty renouncing claim
Publishing of rights of ownership in Bretonia
Publishing of rights of ownership in Liberty
Informal treaty with the Hellfire Legion
Letting the Junkers know I am moving forward
Hauling proposal to the AFC
Contacting the Junker Congress to tow the Wreck into Topeka orbit
Initial contact with the Commonwealth
Base permit application for the Commonwealth
Request to the Commonwealth for Corporate Visa
Initial Contact, and agreement, with the Lane Hackers
Shipping Contract offer to USI
Letter of Appreciation to BoWEx

RE: Log Book: Wichita Orbital R&D - Hirschel Energy R and D - 06-12-2015

822/06/12
Kansas system, Wichita Polar Orbit
Charles Alestone, Director JWRP

Haven't gotten any response back from the Junker Congress on moving the Wreck, but that has given ShadowJunker time to do a more in depth survey of the platform.

It looks like the base will need supplies similar to a compete Class 5 Personal Orbital Base build. For record keeping, I am including the needed resources below. I have researched the initial costs, and, using the techniques Jake Winslow taught me, the delivery prices and total costs. Unfortunately, this is just the supply list for the JWRP, not the supplies that Wichita Orbital will need in support.

160000 - Hull Segments: 1,000 CR/unit
400000 - Industrial Hardware: 800 CR/unit
160000 - Robotic Hardware: 750 CR/unit
160000 - Reinforced Alloy: 1000 CR/unit
160000 - High Performance Alloy: 1500 CR/unit
160000 - Optronic Arrays: 3500 CR/unit
160000 - Heat Sinks: 2000 CR/unit
80000 - Plasfoam Conduits:1500 CR/unit
80000 - Nanomembrane Filters: 1500 CR/unit

Depending on Wichita Orbital operating expenditures and project slippage, there is about 2.25B CR needed for the project in supplies. Including other expenses, it could rise as high as 2.5B, but we will have to manage it as it comes.

RE: Log Book: Wichita Orbital R&D - Hirschel Energy R and D - 06-15-2015

822/06/15
Kansas System, Wichita Orbital R&D
Charles Alestone

The base is running smoothly, but my plans have run into a snag. Whoever configured the software for the base construction ship did not give us a base version that is capable of being upgraded. As a result, I am having to construct a blue print of the current facility, then figure out how to adapt that to provide for additional storage space.

It is taking a lot of time, but, with the Junker Congress otherwise occupied, the project is more or less on hold right now anyway.

Once we can get the additional storage space online, I can advertise for haulers to start bringing in the materials, and get the reconstruction under way.

RE: Log Book: Wichita Orbital R&D - Hirschel Energy R and D - 06-23-2015

822/06/23
Charles Alestone

Politics march on. The base seems to have suddenly been integrated into a state that did not exist when we embarked on this path. The Commonwealth of House Liberty has laid claim to Kansas, and regardless of their claims, the chronological descendants of the Liberty Navy have marched in, jack boots firmly in place, and reached for the biggest hammer they could grab.

As an opening communication, the base was threatened with destruction, we were all but convicted of being a smuggler's haven without trial or evidence and told that we would have to submit a building permit/request for a facility that predates the government that is making the demand.

My best hope at this time is that we can get status as a corporation and get some sort of exemption from their unilateral declaration of ownership of the entire system.

RE: Log Book: Wichita Orbital R&D - Hirschel Energy R and D - 07-01-2015

822/07/01
Charles Alestone

I filed the basing permit today, including paying 6 months of taxes in advance.

We also stood up Hirschel Energy R&D by attaching it to the permit and filing for a corporate Visa.

Finally, I addended an exemption request for the workforce to the permit application. The Commonwealth has some grievance with Junkers, and half of the base work force is comprised of them. I am hoping that they will see reason, especially since I told the Legion that we had Junkers involved back when the Commonwealth was just a revolution, not a government.

I'm thinking we need to just get the Wreck moved out of our own resources, since I have not gotten a reply from the Congress, and our folks need to be seen as much as possible in a positive light.

We seem to be "living in interesting times".

RE: Log Book: Wichita Orbital R&D - Hirschel Energy R and D - 07-11-2015

[Image: oHLnUdr.png]
Hirschel Energy
Research & Development

822/07/11
Charles Alestone

It took us the better part of 4 days, and both ShadowJunker and Bandersnatch will need a total overhaul on tractor systems, but we got the Wreck towed out to Topeka. In fact, Bandersnatch actually blew out one of her tractoring installations, and it surged back into the attendant superconductors. There wasn't any critical damage, and the interlocks stopped the surge from getting beyond the power room, but the duty engineer for that section is in the hospital for a good while.

The towing job went a lot slower than originally projected, but those calculations had intended us to have 4 Salvagers, not 2.

Whatever, we got the job done and I gave those crews a week of paid leave. Even for Junkers, that was a hellacious task.

RE: Log Book: Wichita Orbital R&D - Hirschel Energy R and D - 07-18-2015

Hirschel Energy
Research & Development

822/07/16
Charles Alestone

Well, politics seem to be one of the inevitable forces of the universe. -=J=-Contracption encountered a pair of Gallic Royal Navy ships while out attempting to bring in Heat Sinks for the base's expansion.

I have to wonder about their competence. I realize that any skipper that can will run given half a chance, but really, blockading an unmoving transport with both a gunboat AND a battleship? I suppose they subscribe to the old adage, "Quantity has a quality all its own." It's not as if they'll be attending a convention of naval officers any time soon, so they won't have to worry about it slipping out when people are telling their tall tales.

In any case, I have appended the comms logs. We weren't trying to cozy up to them in any case, but now we have even less reason to do so.

RE: Log Book: Wichita Orbital R&D - Hirschel Energy R and D - 08-13-2015

Hirschel Energy
Research & Development

822/08/10
Kansas system, Wichita Orbital R&D
Charles Alestone

Cheops's Law - Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget.

There are certain "Laws" in nature that populate any engineer's existence, and Cheop's Law is one of the biggies. That said, Wichita Orbital is finally ready to service the JWRP.

I have to say that the view from the Control Center is gorgeous.

A part of me really wishes we were a colony operation, but, while I have certain leadership capabilities, leading a colonization would drive me nuts.

In any case, we are past the point where all of our efforts are devoted to Wichita Orbital. After a party down below to let everyone recuperate, we should be able to actually start working on the research facility. Some of the waves in the equatorial zone have to be seen to be believed.

RE: Log Book: Wichita Orbital R&D - Hirschel Energy R and D - 08-14-2015

Hirschel Energy
Research & Development

822/08/14
Kansas system, Planet Topeka
Charles Alestone

well, the construction is under way. We got enough Hull Segments in to actually start the job of reconstructing the outer hull.

[Image: lhRA7Sy.jpg]

We're also working on laying out proper framing, although that is a much slower process. We're going to end up with a huge amount of space, and it has to be allocated to allow people of differing... philosophies to work on the base without bringing the place down in ruins.

[Image: 5ek6ls0.jpg]

I'm hoping to get someone to run us in the Nuclear Devices we'll need for power until the base can be brought up, but, apparently, OSI is under some sort of restrictions, or maybe Rheinland in general, about shipping them. I have to admit that my knowledge of the situation is not up to the task. I guess I'll have a go with Gateway. They seem to have pretty good access to restricted commodities.