Discovery Gaming Community
WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert (/showthread.php?tid=131560)

Pages: 1 2

WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert - Connor - 07-13-2015

Not sure how many of you guys know about it but there's been a scamming virus thing floating around steam and if you click on the link, somehow it'll take all of your information. Just watch out for this when you receive a friend invite from someone. Once you open it, apparently it sends it to everyone else on your contacts. This is what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/wIpQdRI.png

So yeah, watch out for it.

RE: WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert - Alley - 07-13-2015

There's been an incredible lot of these out there. Just don't trust people you don't know and if the URL is suspicious, just don't click it.

RE: WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert - Mephistoles - 07-13-2015

These also pop up on Skype every now and then. If someone in your contacts sends a random file with a strange name without warning, definitely don't click it. Inform them immediately.

RE: WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert - Pinko - 07-13-2015

Hey bro u need it
hey bro u need it
hey bro u need it

My tf2 backpack was worth $350 until recently so I was getting a fair amount of those on a daily basis.

Steam has this annoying feature where blocking someone actually keeps them on your friend list, so you can only remove them and have them spam you friend requests against until your reports for phishing or spambots go through.

Another common scam: people pretending to be your friends by creating fake accounts and "acting" as middlemen for trades. Just don't trust anyone or anything adding you. Ignore people with Steam level under 5 trying to add you unless you know who they are.

RE: WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert - Emperor Tekagi - 07-13-2015

Not only at Steam or Skype ... this kind of virus link recently appears in almost every often used apps, programs etc. Same with Whatsapp and even TS ( though the Hacker on TS gets IP ban from the hosts almost always immediatly). For me it looks like one and the same hacker group made all of this virus links ... they have all the same structure. ... I heard about some people who receiving a fake SMS (with stuff in it like: "you won ..." and the same link like Snoopeh warned us about).

Regards and hopefully none of you gets trapped by this shi... Smile

Werdackel

RE: WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert - Connor - 07-13-2015

Quote:Another common scam: people pretending to be your friends by creating fake accounts and "acting" as middlemen for trades. Just don't trust anyone or anything adding you. Ignore people with Steam level under 5 trying to add you unless you know who they are.

I've heard about that. People who try to scam are just dumb. I don't see why people do it.

RE: WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert - Pinko - 07-14-2015

(07-13-2015, 11:22 PM)Snoopeh Wrote:
Quote:Another common scam: people pretending to be your friends by creating fake accounts and "acting" as middlemen for trades. Just don't trust anyone or anything adding you. Ignore people with Steam level under 5 trying to add you unless you know who they are.

I've heard about that. People who try to scam are just dumb. I don't see why people do it.

-Lots- of money to be made.

My backpack worth $350 was small change for a hacker if they'd get their hands on it.

RE: WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert - Tachyon - 07-14-2015

Who actually accepts friend requests from random steam users :||||

RE: WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert - Rodent - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 09:38 AM)Tachyon Wrote: Who actually accepts friend requests from random steam users :||||

Bby add me for free games))

Some people still fall for this kind of thing, sadly.

RE: WTF - Steam Warning - Phising alert - Fluffyball - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 09:38 AM)Tachyon Wrote: Who actually accepts friend requests from random steam users :||||

This.

That topic however reminds me I haven't used Steam for ages. Maybe because I bought boxed Morrowind GOTY which turned out to be a Steam game - no return/refund here in Poland, if the box has been unsealed with such a game.

(Steam is pretty problematic for the people who bought a boxed game and can't play it, because there's no access to the internet though.)