Discovery Gaming Community
The Improbable Task - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: The Improbable Task (/showthread.php?tid=131815)

The Improbable Task - Remnant - 07-21-2015

-- Log 1 --

Well, I have no idea what the hell I got myself into. All I know right now, is this is going to be extremely interesting.

So the task was rather straightforward. Creating a system which is able to detect cloaked vessels. Luckily I have some experience with cloaking systems. The unlucky part? It's nothing standard. Thankfully, physics doesn't like to give people too many options. Both concepts that I am aware of have close to the same laws operating behind them. This also apparently true when it comes to what you can 'see' when sending out signals. Guess what. What you can 'see' is pretty much nothing. I wouldn't be here if it was that easy, eh?

The team that i've been given the head of are great people. They're people who obviously have research as a profession. They were more than happy to answer the questions I had when I arrived. They don't even seem very put off by my eccentric attitude. I think they enjoy it, although then again, I think everyone enjoys it. I know i'm wrong too on that one.

Well, that's not why you're reading this log. You're here to read about the progress that we've been making. Lets get started.

First things first. When you're trying to figure out a detection system, you have to run tests on everything observable. What can you see. - I wouldn't be here if you 'could' see things. Sonar, standard radar technology, none of it gives any reading. It merely says what you're pointing at is empty space.

Lets go back to how cloaks work in the first place. EM waves. Electromagnetic forces can be both weak and strong. While normally they don't mean very much unless you're using an EMP type weapon, if you start to generate enough EM force and begin to 'wrap' it around a vessel, you first of all.. Are using a ton of energy. It's not easy. - What good this does however, is once you start to manipulate the field you've wrapped around yourself, you can both reflect and absorb specific types of waves. The scientists who developed cloaks were good at what they've done. They've managed to come up with the math formulas that the mainframe computer will need in order to regulate the cloaks, where nothing comes back from it. To your own sensors, nothing ever returns. Guess what. In Space, if you scan an empty area of space, nothing returns either. It just keeps going. It's the exact same concept as a 'blank' spot.

So that brings us to the big question here. Detection.

The number one thing that i've learned over the years, is that resonation does very interesting things. Be it from letting a power system operate with a system which cannot handle it, all the way over to disrupting things. Resonation can be a very strong weapon itself, it's a darn shame that it's pretty darn hard to actually pull off. There's no real way you can use it efficiently.

I'm planning to make use of the 'resonation' concept. I've had experience using it back home on the Bell, i'm sure it can be modified here easily enough to accomplish what we want.

Afterall, cloaks are carefully controlled EM fields pulled around a vessel, isn't it? Just.. The math formulas.. This is going to take a lot of processing work. I'll come back with a few tests in my next log.

RE: The Improbable Task - Remnant - 07-21-2015

-- Log 2 --

Well, it took a few weeks, although it gave me time to get to know the people around here a little more. They're not all that bad. Their food is decent too. Perhaps we should get catering on the Bell, eh?

Alright, alright, back to it I suppose. When i'm done with this project, i'll abuse the log creation abilities for the Navy and rant about myself then. Until that time, I guess it's time to finish a project, huh.

Last log, I talked about resonation. Once I explained how it might matter to a situation like this, the other team-members seemed quite enthusiastic about putting together an inverse to how cloaks hide people in the first place.
The motions that the fields take sorta differs from ship to ship. Thankfully the people here had the tools needed to crack into the Cloaking Devices software and pull out the program which regulates it.

Believe me. If you thought you've done a lot of Algebra back in College, you haven't touched anything compared to what we've had to work with. Thankfully one of the guys here is a mathematician. I usually had my brother for this sort of thing. It's sorta neat that there was one employed here too.

I've attached a computer-generated image of the EM wave which we've come up with. - The darker the color, the higher intensity of the force in that position.

[Image: FKfNJsz.png]
Computer Generated - Inverse Wave - Semi-Universal

So you may be wondering how an inverse model works with this situation. - What you see in the attachment is a static sample taken. That wave is constantly changing. The cloaking field is also constantly changing. At this point, it's a guess and check maneuver right now. Nothing ideal. I guess that's what 'development' means, eh?

I have a few ideas in how to put this to use. Right now, it doesn't mean much. An inverse doesn't do anything unless you have a way to use it.
Guess that's the next step, huh.