Discovery Gaming Community
Question for devs/programers/engeniers/coders/hackers...... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Question for devs/programers/engeniers/coders/hackers...... (/showthread.php?tid=131910)

Question for devs/programers/engeniers/coders/hackers...... - The.Wizard - 07-25-2015

In light of this and this
I would really like to know how much money and people is needed to create game such as SC...?
Or any other similar?
They say they raised 85 mil and have 250 employes so far.
3 years down the road...i'm not engineer so i don't know,can someone
please explain how much money,people and time...?

RE: Question for devs/programers/engeniers/coders/hackers...... - sindroms - 07-25-2015

I would suggest you ask a game developer, not a gaming community.

RE: Question for devs/programers/engeniers/coders/hackers...... - Fluffyball - 07-25-2015

It depends what kind of game you want to create. Please keep in mind that two people created Mount and Blade, which isn't a small game.

RE: Question for devs/programers/engeniers/coders/hackers...... - Gulryz - 07-25-2015

I think it depends on size of devs and on time taken to make it as you have.to pay devs monthly and publicity etc. I wish one day freelancer be remade in unreal engine 4

RE: Question for devs/programers/engeniers/coders/hackers...... - massdriver - 07-25-2015

(07-25-2015, 10:30 AM)Wizard. Wrote: In light of this and this
I would really like to know how much money and people is needed to create game such as SC...?
Or any other similar?
They say they raised 85 mil and have 250 employes so far.
3 years down the road...i'm not engineer so i don't know,can someone
please explain how much money,people and time...?

they havent finished it yet, so how can one tell you how much?

RE: Question for devs/programers/engeniers/coders/hackers...... - The.Wizard - 07-25-2015

(07-25-2015, 10:41 AM)sindroms Wrote: I would suggest you ask a game developer, not a gaming community.

See the title.
I know it depends of game type and size,i allready said SC or similar one.
Please reed my post before answering.
I know many ppl would like to know this so i'm asking our experts here.

RE: Question for devs/programers/engeniers/coders/hackers...... - Stuffz - 07-25-2015

Okay, I'm studying game development and have done gamedev work in the past. So I'll answer as well as I can.
The problem with star citizen is that is a lot of games mashed into one. You have space dogfights, social planetside things, rpg elements, fps elements.
In my own opinion, trying that will mostly lead to disappointment.
Also in my opinion, this project is horribly overfunded.

They asked for 2 million dollars on their kickstarter. Now that was clearly not enough to make the game but it's a start. However they ended up with so much money they started spending it on silly things. Like prerendered trailers for every ship and such stuff.
So you should be able to do it with less than 80 million unless you include advertising. Paying ads and such takes a whole lot of money and is usually at least as expensive as making the game itself (for AAA titles).

Now, 250 people is a bit high as well, but CIG had to hire a lot of them just for community work. Making a game without community involvement is much quicker and easier. So you should think about that too when you ask for numbers. I would say maybe half of that amount if you're an experienced gamedev studio.
CIG had to create a lot of new studios all over the world which also costs a lot of money and time. Also, adding more people to a project always costs time until they have integrated into the team.

I'd say CIG will still need at least another year to make it a playable game and I think that people who know how to make games would have a beta by now.

RE: Question for devs/programers/engeniers/coders/hackers...... - Treewyrm - 07-26-2015

Eh, compared to other big titles their budgets tend to be multiple times over than what cig raked in its crowdfunding (granted a good chunk goes into marketing and advertisement). Also 250 people isn't particularly high either, how many folks are in individual ubisoft studios? After all it ain't some side-scrolling retro platformer. I guess while plenty were made with less and sometimes much less, but then take big multiplat titles over the last few years and there's really ton of people making those. Who's gonna bother to watch credits roll to check how many artists were just doing environment textures alone. Wouldn't be a game there without all those assets and that's where the bulk of work goes.

RE: Question for devs/programers/engeniers/coders/hackers...... - Fluffyball - 07-26-2015

So, as I said. It depends on time and skills. There are some 'big' games that were made by group of no more than 10 people (Mount and Blade is the most extreme case, as the game has been made by two people - a couple to be more precise).

But time and efforts are the main factor here, aside of software, money and skills. If you would spend like one hour daily, it is very likely you wouldn't do a game of an extreme big size in a year or two.

Keep in mind that a "simple" thing which is Visual Novel (static sprites, text, multiple paths, a lot of text - more rarely voice and music) can steal away a lot of time.