Discovery Gaming Community
How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? (/showthread.php?tid=132321)

Pages: 1 2

How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? - Oldum - 08-05-2015

G'day everyone.

Lately, I've been talking to a few people, and been wondering for a while now. How far can an individuals or a groups RP background or the RP they are doing or what it turns into from the original Freelancer storyline ? I'm not saying Discovery story line, cause that's pretty much been the same for quite some time now, so I guess I can call it somewhat stagnant and in basics , the same as Freelancers basic idea , people fighting over territory , fighting against each other for any sort of belief and so on.

However, there are/were a few groups mostly, that were somewhat out of this story as a whole , just to say a few examples :

- Phantoms : Don't really need to say much, the background is pretty non-human ... as well as the whole thing
- Samarran Raiders - Originated from a purely RP only system that never existed in game. ( http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Babylon_Sector )

So judging from these, I wonder where's the point where people would start denying another persons RP story ( in the kind way as everyone always do here .... //sarcasmoff) ending up on the person having a good idea with the plans of how to turn it into reality leave the whole thing be ( probably together with the game ) .

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about any import stuff ( yes, I'm looking at the CR right now, even though I love BSG ) , or anything that is way too far from Sirius or the whole story, but something that could give a twist into things , like Mon'Star used to be, or what the Order-Zoner drama was about the Persephone , and so on. cause with all due respect, those random made events are okay, but other than maing blue-hungry peeps happy, doesn't really give anything to the server. And since the storyline is pretty much stuck for quite some time now, I wouldn't expect much happening by itself.

Anyways, I'm open to opinions and suggestions, however, I'd like to ask the mod team, if they see posts getting non-civilized, or if finger pointing or flaming starts, feel free to remove replies or lock the whole thing as it is.

Let the flames games begin!

RE: How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? - |nfrared - 08-05-2015

I tried this.

Initial Concept
The Etherium Attempt 1
The Etherium Attempt 2

This was ultimately my greatest failure here. I'm a pretty stubborn person but I still gave up in the end. My advice is to just don't.

You need to have alot of factors in your favour. Even if you manage to sway the community with your ideas and initial concept, you also need to gain the full support of the admin and development teams if you want any content to be entered. You will be expected to provide the ship models (which I luckily did have one friend attempt, I'm talking 'bout you @Unlucky_Soul ) Infocards, the lot. And then the community, admin and dev team needs to be able to accept that stuff as well. Having someone who can make finished ship models on your side will help you immensely. This is presuming that of course you have all the right friends too.

There is alot I haven't said. I wish you luck, if you do attempt it.

RE: How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? - Laura C. - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 08:25 AM)Oldum Wrote: So judging from these, I wonder where's the point where people would start denying another persons RP story
Majority of players usually start denying in moment when the "outsiders" claim influence and power. There were several groups which tried to RP their "arrival from outer space" in a way in which they claimed to be mighty military or even whole nations and civilizations and so on, despite they naturally didn´t have their own shipline and usually even didn´t have enough players and PvP skills to prove the claimed "military might" ingame because it is usually like 1-3 people.

If you bring something non-lore, it´s reasonable and interesting at best but also not any import (I´m looking mainly at you, Star Trek Klingons and other characters), and you are ready to start from scratch and play a "small game" at the beginning, just interacting with others, people usually doesn´t have problem with it. Some will still refuse to RP with you because they are against everything what is non-lore or because they will for some reason find your idea silly but there are players who do this even to established groups which were in vanilla.

RE: How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? - Fluffyball - 08-05-2015

Keep in mind that people might also deny your roleplay, if your ship and crew come from e.g. alternative universe.

RE: How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? - Dove - 08-05-2015

I guess the key to introducing new things is that you don't step on other people's feet (changing THEIR lore by making the two incompatible) by doing it. Then, there are the people who will step on your feet simply because you're causing more activity than them and they want to stay the alpha dog. There's no cure for the later no matter what your RP is anyway, so consider that problem RP-independent. Only way to counter those is to keep the flamethrower hidden and sharpen your knife.

RE: How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? - Oldum - 08-05-2015

@|nfrared : Unfortunately, I1m not popular amongst devs/admins, none of them are friends of mine, so I feel it's somewhat pointless to even start.

@Laura C. I don't have anything as such in mind like military might or anything, however bringing something "new" into the pot , and I am thinking in small for a start ( mostly alone, and then if someone has the mood to join the story, we can make things out ) and I1m not sure if I would consider making it a player group or anything, most probably my individual story. The thing is, the "popular" people would probably throw rocks at the idea the first moment I'd post it, or at least I fear that.

@Fluffyball : That would make things even more complicated, plus it's an idea used in million places already, so no way.

@Dove : That's the tricky part, cause I doubt I could step anywhere without finding someones foot, and I have a feeling which groups/factions you're talking about.

truth be told, I was expecting far worse reactions, even though I know many people tried it before but léet it be, due to the "overwhelming positive welcome" by most people. However, further comments and opinions are welcome.

RE: How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? - Alestone - 08-05-2015

I think you'll have to provide more, at least general, idea of what you want to do to get more reaction.

One of my life lesson quotes is: Comment is as important as content.

It means that how you say it is as important as what you say. So far, you haven't really said what you want to do, even in general terms. I didn't join Disco all that long ago, but I have seen some pretty offbeat bits. The whole, AI as a faction versus AI as a character discussion is a good example.

RE: How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? - nOmnomnOm - 08-05-2015

AFC is not from original lore...

RE: How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? - Doria - 08-05-2015

The biggest problem new factions not from freelancer lore face, usually, is when - as some pointed out - start to claim stuff that they can't have from the start, like declaring alliances without any RP with said faction, claiming territory/systems/bases instead of just using them, changing/ignoring backgrounds of older factions, etc.

If you start small, and begin to make your history INGAME instead of just posting some fancy story of how your faction is the bestest of all, you should be fine.

EDIT: If you end up creating the group, and need RPers for your faction at some point, contact me. Perhaps in some near future I could help (nowadays I am freaking busy inRL, but it shall change in the next few weeks).

RE: How far can an RP story leave the base lore of Freelancer ? - Commissar - 08-05-2015

@Laura C. hit the nail right on the head, as far as I'm concerned. New things are good. New things are great. Freelancer and its stories grow stagnant if we're all playing the same characters robotically running through the same routines day after day.

However; playing in an established universe - as we all are - comes with limitations. People can get a little riled up about that, but 'limits' ain't a dirty word. Those same constraints; whether they're technological (Freelancer ships can't travel between stars in any reasonable time without a jump point [artificial or man made], for instance), physical (oh no, how will dastardly Pete the smuggler make it through the Rheinland blockade?), or emotional (will poor, battered Jane Hartman ever overcome her injuries and learn to love again?) define a character or faction's struggles, and give their victories (and inevitable defeats) meaning.

Bringing in something new shouldn't let a faction circumvent those boundaries, or lessen them for those it interacts with - or, if it does, it should create more issues (and, of course, be discussed with the affected people beforehand). Removing those boundaries altogether cheapens the experience for everyone, and makes the trials of the characters involved seem meaningless and trite.

By and large, the established setting gives us reasonably concrete walls - constraints and understandings that make it possible for characters to interact on reasonably even footings, or at the very least, a mutual understanding of what's involved (for instance, it's taken as a given [at least in the stories I write] that interplanetary travel without the jump/lane network takes days, at least, and more often weeks and month. It wouldn't be fair to the people roleplaying with me to suddenly up and say 'Oh, by the way, we're here now.' a day after we left. It cheapens their investment and, ultimately, they're just likely to say 'no' and move on.)

In part, making statements like that is a luxury of forum roleplay. I know the people I'm writing with, they know me, and we all discussed and accepted the limits of the setting when we set out. You don't have quite the same luxury in-game, where you can meet anyone at all, so it's best to er on the side of caution.

So, by all means, don't be afraid to introduce new things. But be careful not to step so far out of the setting constraints that other people have to accept changes to the universe in which their character exists to roleplay with you. Because given that option, more often than not, they'll shake their heads and say 'no.'

In any event, I wish you the best of luck with whatever it is you're planning.