Discovery Gaming Community
No offense but Discovery lacks.. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: No offense but Discovery lacks.. (/showthread.php?tid=132714)

Pages: 1 2 3

No offense but Discovery lacks.. - Black Widow - 08-18-2015

creativity in the design of its environment which is not proportionate with its storyline. I mean we have war after war after war. Leeds probably being the most ravaged system, scene to war between Kusari and Bretonia only to then be overhauled into a new conflict with Gallia.

So many ships lost so much destruction yet when you look at these systems where 'WAR' has supposedly taken / taking place there are hardly any signs of it.

For the lore that discovery has it is not reflected in the design of its systems, Discovery at best has always tried to innovate itself with the introduction of unique ships / no imports. New features like POBs, Jumpdrives etcetc. But never has it been creative enough to create a universe that is reflective of the current RP universe. Almost as though the devs vision has leaned more towards the techy side than the creative and to be honest discovery has become boring nothing titillates me anymore.

Please Please Please get some creativity going and redesign some of these systems, we want carnage, we want devastation not one wreck of Oubli in front of Planet Leeds.

Forget all these other updates like the omicron update etc, lets overhaul what we already have before stretching ourselves to thinly we even more pointless systems that will lack as much creativity as the current ones.

Maybe take some leaves out of old mod books for inspiration (fwd to 0:50 min to see what I mean, this is Texas):

RE: No offense but Discovery lacks.. - Enkidu - 08-18-2015

I played War Torn for two years (otherwise known as Shattered Worlds, if I remember my mods correctly), and it had serious issues with it. Order was broken overpowered, the Admins had their own faction with broken equipment, mission commission system was broken, trading was even more grindy than disco. The fun features were outweighed by negatives.

Disco really is the best out there, and its current trajectory is looking good.

RE: No offense but Discovery lacks.. - Black Widow - 08-18-2015

(08-18-2015, 12:11 AM)Dunc- Wrote: I played War Torn (otherwise known as Shattered Worlds), and it had serious issues with it. Order was broken overpowered, the Admins had their own faction with broken equipment, mission commission system was broken, trading was even more grindy than disco. The fun features were outweighed by negatives.

Disco really is the best out there, and its current trajectory is looking good.

I am not talking about the other features these mods had I am merely talking about the design of systems where war has taken place, there are no fields wrecks no signs of previous battles. It just plain jane :/.

In short the RP of Discovery does not match its universe, the design is too 'safe'!

RE: No offense but Discovery lacks.. - Thyrzul - 08-18-2015

(08-18-2015, 12:11 AM)Dunc- Wrote: the Admins had their own faction with broken equipment

What's different here? Big Grin

RE: No offense but Discovery lacks.. - WesternPeregrine - 08-18-2015

What about the destroyed tradelanes that are there from before Royal Flush? What about the damaged station models of the former Bretonian bases, and the changes on the LD-14 field? Aren't those design changes brought by events in Disco?

(08-18-2015, 12:16 AM)WPeregrine Wrote: What about the destroyed tradelanes that are there from before Royal Flush? What about the damaged station models of the former Bretonian bases, and the changes on the LD-14 field? Aren't those design changes brought by events in Disco?

Not enough, damaged tradelanes boohoo. A nuclear reactor going off could have caused that destruction we need more than a few damaged solars.

We need a field of wrecked ships, wherever large battles have taken place.

We need more Hammen Holes!!

RE: No offense but Discovery lacks.. - Thyrzul - 08-18-2015

We have junkers to clean up after a lot of battles lol. Not even the actually present wrecks staying this long makes sense.

(08-18-2015, 12:22 AM)Thyrzul Wrote: We have junkers to clean up after a lot of battles lol. Not even the actually present wrecks staying this long makes sense.

Junkers cleaning up in the middle of a war? Nah I dont buy that, I only see excuses here to be lazy and play it safe!

Why is there not more creativity its actually quite sad

RE: No offense but Discovery lacks.. - WesternPeregrine - 08-18-2015

I wouldn't say more persistent damage to the universe could be called a "creative" trait.

Indeed, it could be a design change that could be performed more often, but it's dependent on the occurrence of said events, and it's not the instigator of changes.

RE: No offense but Discovery lacks.. - Durandal - 08-18-2015

Speaking personally as a dev (who has also been awol for the past month due to RL issues), the main reason you haven't seen this kind of stuff in Discovery is because nobody on the devteam has the time, the drive, or both to get it done. Discovery has always focused more on things that tangibly impact gameplay rather than the atmosphere of the game itself, and while I agree that's the correct order in which to do things, it doesn't mean we can't have some more trashed systems here and there. Leeds is a prime candidate, but not the only one worth mention.

I might take some time to spruce up some systems with custom art assets, more wrecks, redesigns here and there, etc. When my RL situation is more stable. If anyone wants to suggest specific changes other than "OMG THIS VIDEO LOOKS COOL BECAUSE BIG HOLE IN PLANET", I'm all ears.