Discovery Gaming Community
Are the battleships useless ? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Are the battleships useless ? (/showthread.php?tid=132791)

Pages: 1 2 3

Are the battleships useless ? - Scar - 08-20-2015

Please dont take the topic wrong like "pfff another buff battleship pls".
Explain your point of view, i see that battleship are missing something.

What is their purpose apart RP ?

4+ Fighters can kill easily a battleship
1 Bombers is enough to kill easily a battleship
1 Cruiser is enought to kill easily a battleship
I even saw a gunboat take down a non amored battleship.

For my point of view they are useless, good only to RP or kill other battleships (even there are better candidates).
Usually for game balancing is used the rock paper scissor method, now it's like they lose with everything and go draw with themselves.

What is your opinion?

RE: Are the battleships useless ? - sindroms - 08-20-2015

You get the ability to delete a capital ship player very fast via uncloaking and unloading your powerplant into them before they can react or get distance.

That is the advantage of a battleship over any of the ship classes that can take it out easily. That is what you pay for.
To -1 a person, regardless of their skill or the lack of your own.

A good enough tradeoff, if you ask me.

RE: Are the battleships useless ? - Wesker - 08-20-2015

If you can aim of if you equip razors the fighters will die.

RE: Are the battleships useless ? - Scumbag - 08-20-2015

You are exaggerating about how easy a battleship can die but underneath that is a valid question. What roles should ships have in a standard battlefield (battlespace actually)? I should haven't seen an official answer for this question, because yeah battleships are a real disappointment in discovery.

RE: Are the battleships useless ? - Connor - 08-20-2015

Capital ship fights require a different skill set compared to fighters as you fly them differently. Cruisers and gunboats you can just wasd in turret steering and to a degree battleships as well. But often battleships take a little more concentration as the fights are over far quicker then snub fights. 1 mistake in a battleship could cost you your life where as in a snub fight you've still got a chance to draw the fight out and wait for backup however you an be instaed by almost any other ship in the game.

Quote:4+ Fighters can kill easily a battleship

I just want to point out a few things here. It is very hard for 4 fighters to take out a lone battleship seeing as they don't have any high DPS armament capable of dealing with caps. This makes fights draw out stupidly long and at the end of the day, it'll be boring for most people. 1 bomber is also not enough to take out a battleship in its own. Even with Novas it'll have to go and restock for more allowing it to run away and even if you did have a CDer, the shield would be back up and there is a high chance that most battleships have flaks rendering a single nova bomber useless. Snacs take to much core to be used like novas and don't fire as fast.

A battleship can be designed to take out snubs/gunboats or to take out Battleships. Notice that I haven't mentioned Cruisers here. Honestly, all cruisers are OP and they shouldn't be able to solo a battleship. But then again I believe that battleships should be almost impossible to take down. If you use one of these loadouts you'll do good against the what you've been designed to take out and you'd be horrible against the other.

I see vessels in Freelancer have a purpose and SHOULD be designed to take out certain ship classes.

Fighters -> Bombers/Fighters
Bombers -> Capital Vessels and aid in taking out Gunboats
Gunboats -> Bombers and Fighters
Destroyers (Lighter of the two classes) -> Anti Gunboat and AID in destruction of Battleships and Dreadnoughts with armament like Torpedos
Cruisers (Heavier of the two classes-> Destroyers, Battleship protection from Bombers
Battlecruisers -> Cruiser, Destroyers and AID in the destruction of Battleships and Dreadnoughts
Battleships -> Battleships, Battlecruisers, Cruisers (Should be worried about these ships)
Dreadnoughts -> All (Should be scared about these ships)
Carriers -> Fighters/Bombers

But then again, I do base a lot of my theories on real life.

RE: Are the battleships useless ? - Tarator - 08-20-2015

Scar Wrote:4+ Fighters can kill easily a battleship

Come again?

Scar Wrote:1 Bombers is enough to kill easily a battleship

Not true. Unless the battleship pilot has no idea what are they doing.

Sindroms Wrote:You get the ability to delete a capital ship player very fast via uncloaking and unloading your powerplant into them before they can react or get distance.

Also much sanction potential in this.

To get to the point, caps are of course best for killing other caps, but.... that's about it.

RE: Are the battleships useless ? - Antonio - 08-20-2015

Battleships are far from useless. Should they get buffed? Yes. But you're exaggerating a lot. 1 bomber in theory can take out a battleship but it'll take him a minimum of 25-30 minutes, and if the battleship has flaks he'll flak novas easily which makes the time even longer. Cruisers are a bit too strong against battleships though.

RE: Are the battleships useless ? - Scar - 08-20-2015

(08-20-2015, 03:36 PM)sindroms Wrote: You get the ability to delete a capital ship player very fast via uncloaking and unloading your powerplant into them before they can react or get distance.

That is the advantage of a battleship over any of the ship classes that can take it out easily. That is what you pay for.
To -1 a person, regardless of their skill or the lack of your own.

A good enough tradeoff, if you ask me.

Ok you are right, im not a lot confident of the new ( for me ) cloaking mechanic, but i think that a battleship should be more impact than only be a decloaker.

(08-20-2015, 04:01 PM)Snoopy Wrote: Capital ship fights require a different skill set compared to fighters as you fly them differently. Cruisers and gunboats you can just wasd in turret steering and to a degree battleships as well. But often battleships take a little more concentration as the fights are over far quicker then snub fights. 1 mistake in a battleship could cost you your life where as in a snub fight you've still got a chance to draw the fight out and wait for backup however you an be instaed by almost any other ship in the game.

Quote:4+ Fighters can kill easily a battleship

I just want to point out a few things here. It is very hard for 4 fighters to take out a lone battleship seeing as they don't have any high DPS armament capable of dealing with caps. This makes fights draw out stupidly long and at the end of the day, it'll be boring for most people. 1 bomber is also not enough to take out a battleship in its own. Even with Novas it'll have to go and restock for more allowing it to run away and even if you did have a CDer, the shield would be back up and there is a high chance that most battleships have flaks rendering a single nova bomber useless. Snacs take to much core to be used like novas and don't fire as fast.

A battleship can be designed to take out snubs/gunboats or to take out Battleships. Notice that I haven't mentioned Cruisers here. Honestly, all cruisers are OP and they shouldn't be able to solo a battleship. But then again I believe that battleships should be almost impossible to take down. If you use one of these loadouts you'll do good against the what you've been designed to take out and you'd be horrible against the other.

I see vessels in Freelancer have a purpose and SHOULD be designed to take out certain ship classes.

Fighters -> Bombers/Fighters
Bombers -> Capital Vessels and aid in taking out Gunboats
Gunboats -> Bombers and Fighters
Destroyers (Lighter of the two classes) -> Anti Gunboat and AID in destruction of Battleships and Dreadnoughts with armament like Torpedos
Cruisers (Heavier of the two classes-> Destroyers, Battleship protection from Bombers
Battlecruisers -> Cruiser, Destroyers and AID in the destruction of Battleships and Dreadnoughts
Battleships -> Battleships, Battlecruisers, Cruisers (Should be worried about these ships)
Dreadnoughts -> All (Should be scared about these ships)
Carriers -> Fighters/Bombers

But then again, I do base a lot of my theories on real life.

This, if they give a proper purpose they will be more usefull.

(08-20-2015, 03:59 PM)Scumbag Wrote: You are exaggerating about how easy a battleship can die but underneath that is a valid question. What roles should ships have in a standard battlefield (battlespace actually)? I should haven't seen an official answer for this question, because yeah battleships are a real disappointment in discovery.
I was exaggerating on purpose but i saw that fights in the past, and usually in game i see battleships scared that hide while that two bombers or cruiser make fun of them.
They miss a purpose.

RE: Are the battleships useless ? - bormos3 - 08-20-2015

(08-20-2015, 03:32 PM)Scar Wrote: 4+ Fighters can kill easily a battleship
If they're all bombers then yes otherwise they would have a hard time... And this seems kinda reasonable because then battleships would be OP.

(08-20-2015, 03:32 PM)Scar Wrote: 1 Bomber is enough to kill easily a battleship
Only if the captain is a fool (like the guy above said)

(08-20-2015, 03:32 PM)Scar Wrote: 1 Cruiser is enough to kill easily a battleship
This is true but if you have the right skills and the right ship you can put up a very good fight or even kill the cruiser so I wouldn't really call it "easily".

(08-20-2015, 03:32 PM)Scar Wrote: I even saw a gunboat take down a non amored battleship.
Wouldn't know about that but I guess the cap pilot was a noob and the GB pilot a pro.

RE: Are the battleships useless ? - Scar - 08-20-2015

Meh, i dont want to make them redicolusly op, but now a cruiser is a far better capital ship.
I only want a clear role for them, not a potential use