Discovery Gaming Community
The ''betrayer'' clichee of noblemen - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: The ''betrayer'' clichee of noblemen (/showthread.php?tid=134144)

The ''betrayer'' clichee of noblemen - Johnathan Nox Carter - 12-22-2015

For 148 years, 148 long and blatantly luxurious years, the Nathair family has served the Gallic royalty. As dukes, the men of this house have a large influence over a couple of regions on planet Nevers. Still, over the past 28 years - the family has been scourged by a divide. There are those who zealously follow the king's rule and consider the Council to be nothing more than a nuisance, while there are those who think the Second Gallic War could've been avoided and that the king is impertinent in his actions. At first, the former would openly state their opinions... but it soon proved to be a dangerous game. As such, they now only meet in secret to discuss such things.

As second born, Radament du Nathair is the right hand of his older brother, Francois who leads the family based on the age-old philosophy of the Gallic monarchy. Radament, however, has come to see things differently. Knowing he has no chance of changing his Francois' mind and that throughout the secondary branches of the family there are too few who would side with him, he chooses to seek solutions elsewhere.

It has been ten years since the youngest of the three du Nathair brothers left home to study in Ile-de-France, however he didn't quite keep in touch with the others. Radament figured he might as well give it a try and call his brother for a... reunion.

The very next day, he took a private shuttle and flew off Nevers. While in space, he sent an ecrypted transmission towards his brother's last known address.
The message read as follows:

Bonjour, Salazar.

It has been too long since we've last spoken. It ackes me to admit, but it seems your old snake nest isn't what it used to be, which is why we'd like you to come home and clean it up. Of course, we should also discuss where you could store it in the future... the wine cellar was a rather bad idea. We really don't want any more broken bottles.

Please be here soon,
Your brother, Radament.

After the message was transmitted, Radament returned home, hoping Francois would not suspect anything because of his random use of the private shuttle.

RE: The ''betrayer'' clichee of noblemen - King Owl - 12-22-2015

A dark room is disturbed by the sound of two metallic doors as they open. A tall man, with white long hair, walks inside and through that darkness the only distinctly noticeable thing is a shimmering light from a terminal.

*Now isn't this my beloved brother - and after quite some time, even - sending me a message. Now, I get that my snake nest has given you guys problems, which is quite fine by me... as long as they have not touched my wine and just yours, but since you asked so nicely, I will come there and see what i can do.*

He sends a reply: ''Expect me to arrive tomorrow around 1800 hours and have a bottle of wine and some food ready.'' and after the message was transmitted, Salazar starts to pack his stuff and heads for his private Lynx.

RE: The ''betrayer'' clichee of noblemen - Johnathan Nox Carter - 12-24-2015

It was too risky for Radament to pay attention to incomming comms. As such, he was unable to see his brother's reply. A day later, he was enjoying dinner while one of the servants came in and stated: ''Master, we have visitors.''
It didn't take Radament long to realise this might in fact be Salazar, so he forgot all about the food and rushed out, towards the estate's docking platforms.

As he approached the second platform, he noticed a ship he never saw before... so he wondered for a moment, standing still while waiting for whomever was inside to exit the vessel.

RE: The ''betrayer'' clichee of noblemen - King Owl - 12-24-2015

Space around Nevers has never been this quiet, or maybe it was just Salazar's memory playing him tricks. Ten years he has been away from home and he still could not believe it.

*Termial 2-0-3, this is Salazar du Nathair requesting permission to enter planetary space. Over.*

After a moment of silence a signal came in:

*This is Terminal 2-0-3. Your permission is granted; welcome home duke.*

Well it's a good thing that his name has not been forgotten; or did Radament inform the terminals of his arrival?
After another couple of minutes he finally made it to the du Nathair manor, where the welcoming party was made out of his brother and a servant, along with plenty of other other people around, who were looking strange at the ship that just landed on the western docking bay. After touchdown, the ship's hatch opened and for a couple of seconds sounds of blasters could be heard. Then, a tall man pops up from the hatch and - now everyone had their guns pointed at him - removes his helmet leaving his long white hair to flow in the pleasing breeze of Nevers.

*So this is what you call a welcoming party for the youngest Duke of the du Nathair family? Huh guys? (anger could be felt in his tone) Lower your weapons and go do your jobs since I, Salazar du Nathair, have arrived home.
(He jumps down from his ship and a loud sound can be heard from the back of the vessel.) Do not worry about that, it's just my pet. (A big, white, armoured bear exists the ship and joins Salazar's side.)
Radament, you old goat, where is the welcoming party, where is the parade, where are all the women? And most importantly, where is our father and the my other, not so beloved, brother? Oh yes, and for the sake of pleasentries, this is Yorick: my friend and pet.*
(While pointing to the bear.)

After a short hug, Salazar ties his hair in a pony tail and starts to speak again:

*Atleast i hope dinner is ready since i haven't eaten anything good in days!*

RE: The ''betrayer'' clichee of noblemen - Johnathan Nox Carter - 12-25-2015

The whole scene appeared far too weird for Radament to actually have any time for thinking it through, so he mainly went along with it. Moments later, however, he resigned with the remembrance that this was just the way his younger brother acted.

''As always, *fond* of manners and etiquette... right, Salazar?'' he asked while chuckling. ''But as a matter of fact, yes, dinner IS ready... I was just starting to enjoy it when you arrived. I'll have Charles bring some extra portions.

I'm sure you're weary after the long journey... but I'm afraid i have to answer one of your question with ill news. Father is not home. He left to oversee a series of trade meetings in Languedoc. Still, depending on how long you plan on staying... you might see him when he returns. As for Francois, i reckon he's still on his riding trip and will be here in an hour.

Alas, let's get to the evening room. We'll discuss more there.''

Thus, they both continued with a steady pace until reaching the dinner table.

RE: The ''betrayer'' clichee of noblemen - King Owl - 12-25-2015

The voice of his brother did not changed a bit. He looked suprised while walking near his brother along side with his pet.

*Manners maketh man, it was father most valuable quote wasen't it, now as you know me i kinda skipped all the father son moments in my life. Ten years away from home kinda maked me lose all my royality, isn't it Yorick (he looked at his bear) And yes ten years make you speak with your pet as he is your best friend. Now let us eat and debrif me on your fancy plans and discussions*

The two walked in silance while they have reached the dinning hall and they both sat down. Salazar waited for his food to arrive silent and when the food arived he started to eat like a savage beast. Realizing that he was eating and acted the way he acted he sighted and leand back on his chair playing with the glass of wine.

*Now tell me what is so important that you urged me home in such short notice and a little amount of details, but somehow you sparked my interest, so debreif me*

RE: The ''betrayer'' clichee of noblemen - Johnathan Nox Carter - 12-26-2015

A phrase not often used, and even more rarely understood, but one that Radament and his two brothers could never forget since it was their father's ''favourite bedtime story''.

He gently replied as they were still walking ''True, that's what father always says. Also... how come your best friend is an animal? Haven't you made any friends in school... perhaps a lady as well?''

As he received no answer right away, he kept silent until they reached the dining table. Radament gestured the servant to bring some more food, then simply sat in his chair until nobody was in the room but him and Salazar.

''Tell me... brother, what have you been learning in the past ten years? What kind of knowledge have you acquired? Sciences, arts... politics maybe?'' his eye twiched as he asked that last bit.

''To be honest, I've been doing quite a lot of *research* lately myself...''

RE: The ''betrayer'' clichee of noblemen - King Owl - 12-27-2015

A flurry of questions are thrown at Salazar while he was glancing at the wine glass. Out of the sudden he stops any movement and looks at Radement.

*Now I belive that you did not asked me to come home after ten years just to check up on my education, no matter how much you were concerned about it when I was young, but I will not be a good man not to give my brother what he wants. I studied 5 years of science and I have specialized into ship manufacturing and weapon manufacturing and after that indeed I have studied politics, seems quite the etiquette of a member of a royal familly.*

After that he started to eat again. After cuple of moments a wierd sound came from Salazar's arm. Quickly after the sounds Salazar started to make some wierd sounds and his arm started to shake. He reached for his pocket out of which he pulled out a metallic niddle and stung his arm with it and after cuple of seconds the pain and the shaking started to fade away. Now with a wierd look on his face he started to talk again:

*Do not mind what you have saw just a moment ago, but that is a long story I will tell you sooner or later. However tell me why have you urged me to come home so quickly and why all this secretive feeling all over and given the fact that I have came home after ten years I would of expected that father would of canceled all of his plans and aswell fro Francois, please explain to me*

RE: The ''betrayer'' clichee of noblemen - Johnathan Nox Carter - 12-27-2015

His apetite had settled after the whole ''the bear is just my pet'' situation, so Radament didn't touch any of the extra food. He simply fiddled his fingers around an empty glass and listened to Salazar's comments.

He raised his eyebrow in content and replied ''That's quite the curriculum... yes, it does sound like a nobleman's accomplishment.

Alas - it's true that I didn't call for you merely out of curiosity. I could've asked all that through a neural-net channel. The fact is...''
- as he was starting this phrase, Radament silenced himself to observe Salazar's odd behavior. Noticing the neddle and hearing that comment made him worry, so he chose to hold on to his idea for later.

''Eh... right, *sooner or later*; that's... reassuring. Well, it's getting late anyway. We should finish eating and call it a night. We can catch up on other things tomorrow.

I'll tell Sophie to ready your room.''
he finished, while pushing a few buttons on a terminal near the table.