Discovery Gaming Community
Attn Server Owners: FLHook 3.0.0 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Other Discovery Servers (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Attn Server Owners: FLHook 3.0.0 (/showthread.php?tid=134709)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Attn Server Owners: FLHook 3.0.0 - shutbug29 - 01-09-2016

Thanks, ALLEY!!! Back and ready when you are.

RE: Attn Server Owners: FLHook 3.0.0 - Alley - 01-09-2016

We've finished running tests with shutbug and everything seems okay.

You can find the windows XP compatible binaries here:
https://github.com/zibbizor/FLHook/releases/tag/v1.0-v90
You can find the associated up-to-date config files here:
https://github.com/zibbizor/FLHook/releases/tag/v1.0 (bin-conf.zip)

On a slightly less related note, I've browsed the discovering chaos forums to see if you guys were holding up. This forum has a lot of really strange statements.

First: if we could run FLServer on Linux: Trust me, GC would already be running on it. So would Freeworlds.
Second: No, the starport repository is not the correct one for discovery. The github I've set up is. The v90 binaries over there are extremely old and will cause you serious issues.
Third: You really don't have to upload all the patches we release somewhere else. They're all listed here. http://discoverygc.com/patch/

Seriously, what the hell. Especially that Linux thing.

RE: Attn Server Owners: FLHook 3.0.0 - Dr Hooligan - 01-10-2016

My little community is odd yes. We have one guy, who hosts many Linux servers.. We have me, the guy who likes running the servers by the book for the most part. At least as far as using the dev's intended tools. IE, I use your updater instead of going the route the other guy does.. That's him.. He does that with most software he runs.. It is what it is. None of us told him to do things the way he does them either. And for the record, Cazador is not staff, just one of our many loonies. I run the files mostly the way you guys do and patch when and what you patch only. . Our current server is on a VM hosted on SUSE Enterprise.. 16 core host server, 24 gigs of ram. Great server OS. Love it. But it is a 32bit vm I inherited.. The hosts, who are actually hosting as a friendly favor for us, gave us the server os they had for windows. These guys only use Linux, so it is what they had onhand. Though I am seriously thinking of zipping up a vdi with a 64bit win7 server installed and transferring it to the host as a more longterm solution adverse to sticking with the older hook for the life of the server. I'd much rather have the same tools you guys have. But will be happy with what we got for now. Then there is the head Admin, he only took the server over to keep it afloat after Xevious quit.. Poor dude really has very little clue as to how to configure the server.. He is fine with playercontrol, dpm and dam and somewhat with hook commands. Though I am trying to show him how simple hook really is to use.. And how much better it is as well. I am just starting to learn your server files for my own self. Running an FL server is new to me really.. So I have a little bit to learn. I am not a coder, never said i was, so I am limited when C++ gets involved, for now. Already working on beginning years of learning code.. But we do have some people who could help with coding when needed. None the less I decided to help my old buddy out when he asked me to start taking care of the tech side of running the server.. Which, for the most part, I have made very simple for myself to run..

My goal for a while has been to figure a way to forcing the server to run in wine.. And I think it is totally possible.. It is a library issue.. That and some other missing windows components that need to be built in to make it all work right.. Just not enough heads working on this together to sort it out.. But my idea is to build a specific windows layer inside wine from a physical windows install on one of my machines.. There are obvious dependency issues with wine components and varients as well and how to get it all to work just right.. I may be able to actually avoid them altogether.. No clue how long this will take me to build.. But i promise when I am done and if it actually works, I will share it all with the FL community. This kinda thing could help alleviate the need to have VM's, that's if my idea works in the first place..lol Just imagine a world where you replace 1 folder and boom, windows is back the way you had it, completely.... Just a drag n drop.. Couple of clicks..... To me this is worth at least trying to do. Even if I fail miserably.. It's still worth it.

Anyway, you asked. Our weird ways mean ya'll no harm. Cazador will always snag updates the way he does. I will always be finding ways to rip components out of windows I consider to be insecure.. Like IE, Update, Activate, Cortana, WMP and so on.. And will always continue my odd projects trying to force windows to behave exactly how I want. A lot of which have worked out very well for me. And Glock will always be Glock. He may not know much about computers, but he is a good, down to earth person when it all boils down.

Coming from outside the box, I am Hooligan from Discovering CHAOS... We are a multi-gaming community who loves to play Freelancer and a whole slew of other games together. Currently I host a 7 Days to Die server in my home and am seriously considering Space Engineers or Empyrion: Galactic Survival as other options to host as well. Heck, if I had the hardware and bandwidth, we'd have quite a few little servers online right now..

And there's your answer.

edit: I guess I should also state that I myself am not happy running the 487 server as well. I see no reason to use it. But this is not up to me, so i apologize for any kind of confusion. I am only doing what was asked of me... *spins in whirlwind of confusing directions* Maybe that's why the ports are all borked!!

And yes, I already switched out for what is in your repos.. FYI, what Cazador uploaded was his own thing. Again, none of us in staff asked him to do that.

And yes, the patches you released for hook worked perfect for me, thank youSmile Now on to fix other things in this sink that has been tossed at me.. yay, more ports ....... I am soooo gonna make this damn simple for anybody else who touches this to never have to do any of this again..

RE: Attn Server Owners: FLHook 3.0.0 - Remnant - 01-10-2016

Just a suggestion, but if you really don't like getting updates from the DGC, why don't you just instruct your users to edit their launcher configs, and put in a dummy patch URL. That way, even if we release an update, your players and their launchers won't grab the latest data, leaving you on the previous (working) version.

Of course you're probably going to need to give them a manual patch bundle, since any new players wouldn't be autopatched to your version.
Unless you figure out how to get the patching system working to your own website, with the required bits of data. It's not really hard to do. It's not locked into our system.

Oh i have no intention of doing that.. If this dude cazador wants to. I don't care. I could do it, very simple.. Not interested though. I am sticking with your defaults for a lot of our setup. Plus, I oddly enough, am not having the kind of issues some of my players are reporting.. Which means the cause is user error.. Cause if I got it running, they definitely did something wrong. I have been bug testing their messed up admin rights issues for about 4 years now.. So I know what most of them are doing wrong when things do not work.. Fortunately you guys forced the adminrights in your launcher which actually fixed a lot for these people.. And saved me the headaches of repeatedly walking people through permissions issues...

My hope is to sway some of our more stubborn towards the new mod so we can stop this 2 FL server thing.. I am sooo tight in what ports i can open right now... I do not even think I have 5 more ports... -_- Anyway, that's my drama, not ya'lls.. The point is, there are some things Xevious used to do and some things I am trying to bring back.. This way, any bugs I do find are actual bugs and not something we did.. Thus, when i do report a bug it is replicate-able*not even a word..lol* by ya'll almost always minus certain hardware lackings.. like our current 32bit server i am working on replacing.... Makes more sense to me anyway.. And will streamline the tech end of things.. Then I gotta work on "attitude" some, myself included as I tend to get caught up myself..

This all being said.. I have one question that may help one of our most stubborn.. Does the new mod support Vista? Yes, the dude is still swimming with Vista... And if no native support, is there any way I can help the guy? He seams reluctant to upgrade to anything other than Vista for some reason.... Don't ask, I already made that mistake a year ago...

RE: Attn Server Owners: FLHook 3.0.0 - Alley - 01-10-2016

Vista should work, I don't see any reason for it not to. It's however not the greatest OS out there. Windows 7 should be the target.

Just to be clear, I don't mind what is written on your forums. These three points were quite wrong (and #2 could have caused unnecessary headaches for you) and I didn't want to see you go in wrong directions.

No worries Alley. And thanks for the 32bit support. .. Though I still plan to attempt my creation in wine. Just only on my test machines though. So just consider point 1 moot until I actually hit a point where I give up at it..lol And I already agree with ya'll about point 3 anyways.. Why cazador wants to make his own repo is anybodies guess.. And I personally will only be pulling from the official repos. Though I did check his work and it was legit. I still would rather go the standard route. It's all about consistency. We have already gone down the unofficial path too much and I want to stop this kind of backtrotting. I remember the days when GC was the top seed for FL and PTC was as high as number 2 and as low as number 5. I wanna see us get back to normal if possible.

And yeah. Vista... That dude is a whole nuther story. I've already ran through trying to help him. And he won't let anybody remote to him to see what he is doing wrong and help him get it right. Though i get it, I won't let most have remote access to mine either.. but still.. Love the guy, he's a good man. But stubborn. Maybe I should gift him a 32 bit win7 for a belated holiday present.

RE: Attn Server Owners: FLHook 3.0.0 - .Darkshade - 01-10-2016

(01-10-2016, 08:32 AM)Dr Hooligan Wrote: No worries Alley. And thanks for the 32bit support. .. Though I still plan to attempt my creation in wine. Just only on my test machines though. So just consider point 1 moot until I actually hit a point where I give up at it..lol And I already agree with ya'll about point 3 anyways.. Why cazador wants to make his own repo is anybodies guess.. And I personally will only be pulling from the official repos. Though I did check his work and it was legit. I still would rather go the standard route. It's all about consistency. We have already gone down the unofficial path too much and I want to stop this kind of backtrotting. I remember the days when GC was the top seed for FL and PTC was as high as number 2 and as low as number 5. I wanna see us get back to normal if possible.

And yeah. Vista... That dude is a whole nuther story. I've already ran through trying to help him. And he won't let anybody remote to him to see what he is doing wrong and help him get it right. Though i get it, I won't let most have remote access to mine either.. but still.. Love the guy, he's a good man. But stubborn. Maybe I should gift him a 32 bit win7 for a belated holiday present.

The main reason I have that repo up to match the CHAOS server version is because the server does not automatically update, therefor those of us the other side of the world are stuck for several hours with the CHAOS server being a patch behind the main client. Other than that, I like to experiment with things and tinker with crap, gives me something to do when I'm bored out of my mind.

I'll likely drop the whole thing soon though, I think I'm the only person that is actually using it.
-"that dude" Cazador

RE: Attn Server Owners: FLHook 3.0.0 - Alley - 01-10-2016

If that whole update thing is a serious issue for you, as King Boo said setting up a patcher proxy is not the hardest thing in the world. All you need is a web accessible patchlist.xml file and get your players to modify the url in launcherconfig.xml. It's however probably going to be more trouble than anything for a few hours of downtime.