Discovery Gaming Community
Windows 7 memory leak? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Windows 7 memory leak? (/showthread.php?tid=134918)

Pages: 1 2

Windows 7 memory leak? - Explorer487 - 01-12-2016

Right so after my recent troubles i decided to revert back to my trusty Windows 7 Ultimate copy. And i've had a glorious experience until i noticed things getting kinda sluggish. Then i discovered a couple things. It's pretty obvious this and that is not normal. I've run virus scans and they've come back with nothing out of the ordinary. This troublesome little process is dragging the performance on this machine down noticably. Note in the image World of Tanks in the background running at maximum settings and it's using less RAM and CPU than this svchost process.

Any ideas folks?
Cheers!

RE: Windows 7 memory leak? - Laz - 01-12-2016

So first you say to me i should downgrade, now your saying its bugged?
#ThreadStalker

RE: Windows 7 memory leak? - Clavius - 01-12-2016

(01-12-2016, 05:54 PM)Explorer487 Wrote: Right so after my recent troubles i decided to revert back to my trusty Windows 7 Ultimate copy. And i've had a glorious experience until i noticed things getting kinda sluggish. Then i discovered a couple things. It's pretty obvious this and that is not normal. I've run virus scans and they've come back with nothing out of the ordinary. This troublesome little process is dragging the performance on this machine down noticably. Note in the image World of Tanks in the background running at maximum settings and it's using less RAM and CPU than this svchost process.

Any ideas folks?
Cheers!

I had the same problem too, I turned off auto update on windows and that cleared the problem for me, maybe it will work for you too.

RE: Windows 7 memory leak? - Explorer487 - 01-12-2016

Ah okay I'll try that, Ive been updating it alot since it was installed and I guess a bulk of updates (300 or so) has buggered it. I'll see what that does, cheers for the suggestion!

RE: Windows 7 memory leak? - Clavius - 01-12-2016

(01-12-2016, 10:09 PM)Explorer487 Wrote: Ah okay I'll try that, Ive been updating it alot since it was installed and I guess a bulk of updates (300 or so) has buggered it. I'll see what that does, cheers for the suggestion!

No problem, let me know how it turns out!

RE: Windows 7 memory leak? - Explorer487 - 01-13-2016

Well i disabled the Windows Update service and rebooted - all seemed fine for a while. However the machine then began the memory nonsense once again, though i discovered something strange. I noticed a few of my USB devices weren't working and plugging them into various ports made no difference at all, then i got to my mouse/keyboard wireless receiver and unplugged it to swap something about and the memory plummeted from 3.3 GB to just over 1.4GB. The receiver refuses to work in any other port either. I figured it was drivers but i don't see how they'd cause the PC to run sluggishly.

I'm actually starting to wonder if this has been causing the issues in Windows 10 i was having. But i saw no memory problems there, sure it sat at around 2.2GB on 10 but i figured that was normal. But the sluggish/laggy symptoms are similar.

RE: Windows 7 memory leak? - Explorer487 - 01-14-2016

Okay so the problem is still ongoing. Seems installing this Logitech program stopped the keyboard and mouse spazzing out whenever it felt like it however the high RAM/Disk usage is still the same and it appears to be a system process even though i can't determine exactly which one that is. This is running my CPU quite hot to note also around the 50+C mark as it's at 75-80% all of the time for some reason. Any ideas folks? i'm all out of things to try.

RE: Windows 7 memory leak? - Findarato Veneanar - 01-14-2016

Have you ran hardware tests yet?

RE: Windows 7 memory leak? - Explorer487 - 01-14-2016

I doubt my hardware is at fault, since i'd be seeing more than just full RAM all the time, i did a memory diagnostic anyway and it didn't flag up anything. I'm starting to think it's a borked OS install

RE: Windows 7 memory leak? - Epo - 01-14-2016

(01-14-2016, 08:00 PM)Explorer487 Wrote: I doubt my hardware is at fault, since i'd be seeing more than just full RAM all the time, i did a memory diagnostic anyway and it didn't flag up anything. I'm starting to think it's a borked OS install

Maybe try reinstalling your win?