Discovery Gaming Community
Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit (/showthread.php?tid=136727)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Marburg - 03-06-2016

I mentioned this in flood, but hey. It was flood, so I'ma post all legitimate-like here.

I understand why the auto-censor is utilized, but tbh, I hate it, because I feel it's overused to a fault.

As far as vulgarity on the forums is concerned, I understand the auto-censors use for the basic stuff like $-hit & F-u-k-U as an example, but I gotta speak my mind here: It's being abused. My theory as to why it's being abused is because the ease of the utility is proving to be an overreach of power in the spirit of convenience.

I've never been a letter of the law kind of guy & have always tried to be a spirit of the law kinda guy. IMHO, context matters, & posts that don't actually break the vulgarity rule shouldn't be judged by a bot from a list.

Trust me, I know what the spirit of Igiss's laws are, but frankly, eff the letter of 'em. It's not the staffs job to thought police anyone...it's their job to smack those who actually break the rules & Judge by the spirit of the rules within context of what's being judged.

For example: G-T-F-O in and of itself is not a violation of the forum vulgarity rule as the vulgarity is simply implied & not actually expressed. It's the context of the post surrounding it that determines the intent of the initials & not the initials themselves.

The self-censor feature is unable to take this into account & is therefore a feature that is habitually being abused as a tool of convenience

Please, Stop it. It ain't right as it is.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Mephistoles - 03-06-2016

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=136608

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Marburg - 03-06-2016

posting a link ain't good enough Meph.

Get off your ass & actually make a better effort than just a lazy link.

I'm specifically calling out to the staff as former staff myself to debate the issue.

You're welcome to participate, but if all you got to offer is links, bite me.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Mephistoles - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 01:29 PM)Marburg Wrote: posting a link ain't good enough Meph.

I'm specifically calling out to the staff as former staff myself to debate the issue.

That's pretty rude.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - sindroms - 03-06-2016

I love how you think anyone would care.
Go play the game, stop worrying your little head over bad words, just because you are so used to using them in real life.

The inability to use bad words on the forum is for the mental wellbeing of the community. It also makes you use your brain if you wish to offend someone as it usually requires at least some sort of discretion.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - SnakThree - 03-06-2016

I can only say the following:

G-T-F-O with these threads.

Not sure what your intention is with majority of your arguments just raising some chaos and actually not solving anything.

Edit: As Sindroms sais, go do something beneficial. Update Wiki. Play some Disco. Write some tutorials.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Marburg - 03-06-2016

It's almost kinda funny that between the two of you, I'M the one that you two paint as a rebel

Actually, it IS funny. I know both you're M.O's

What I'm looking for is a discussion with the staff, & anyone else who has something to actually contribute

Ether of you care to try again? This time with feeling?

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Lythrilux - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 01:29 PM)Marburg Wrote: posting a link ain't good enough Meph.

He was just linking a thread with the same topic that has more traction than this one as well as a poll. You don't need to be so rude to him, then again I've come to expect this as this is the sort o manner you post in, trying to make yourself hoping to sound cool and edgy.

There's no need for rudeness, you can just post in the thread I made. Nothin personnel kid.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Hidamari - 03-06-2016

you wont get anywhere with these superficial people Marburg, i had the same discussion with the bowex chat a few months back, they are all so plugged in to the matrix they dont care / want this crap to exist.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - sindroms - 03-06-2016

That is a very interesting statement, since you are being the only person with issues in this thread.
Though perhaps you would like to back it up with saying just what have I done these days to earn that particular stamp from you.

Instead your behavior in this thread only proves a point why we need those filters in the first place.
Having to actively use language that is caught by the filter is the point where you cannot present your argument or contribution in any meaningful way and instead have to resort to edgy speech just to prove a point.

And somehow I feel as though you are a bit more intelligent to do without that, Burg.