Discovery Gaming Community
Civilian carrier. Done on 22 May 2016, Texture rework pending. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: Civilian carrier. Done on 22 May 2016, Texture rework pending. (/showthread.php?tid=137857)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Civilian carrier. Preparation phase - Sabru - 04-07-2016

wow. i love it. keep up with the good work and design.

+1

RE: Civilian carrier. Preparation phase - Hannibal - 04-08-2016

like the model so far,but if you are going for same texture as serenity..it will end up ugly Sad

so..this is the first of your model that i can say i like,your improving pretty well Wink

RE: Civilian carrier. Preparation phase - sasapinjic - 04-08-2016

I generally like way you made it look so far , but i do have some suggestions :
-Stretch it a little , to be longer but thiner , that will give it more elegant line , big part of ship charm is not only good stats but good look also ,
-You may want to change front of ship to be more round like on top and flat on bottom , similar to one on Galactica,
-You may also add docking bays similar to ones on Galactica in place of those extra side engines , and you can put 2 extra engines below and little in front those 2 on rear end of hull ,
-Give it rows on windows in front part , like in a liner , since it is civilian explorer/carrier and it is logical to have some luxury facilities , but not on middle and back , those are battle parts of the ship , more armored without windows and luxury things ,
-You may add some kind of command bridge on rear of ship .

As for stats , i recommend good armor and weak weapons , carrier need to survive not to give a punch , be able to defend against snubs , and possible give limited support from long range . Also since he will be heavily used as explorer , i recommend to increase cruise speed to 340 , not to go at snail speed trough systems anymore , but can still be cached by all ships , and to have increased cargo to be able to mount both Survey module and Jump systems .
So something like this :
-Medium armored BS and agility , around 1.000.000 HP , 7.000.000 power core , Cruiser Shield , no truster ,
-Only light BS , Cruiser or Gunboat weapons ( for solaris ) , maybe 2 to 4 slots for BS Flaks , or 4 FIGHTER Missile slots ( so it can chase off Bombers that attack at 50 meters ) 1 BS or Cruiser Heavy slot or Forward gun for long range support , no primaries ,
-2500 cargo space , NO CM slot ( cant use cloak or cloak disruptor ) .

RE: Civilian carrier. Preparation phase - Sand_Spider - 04-08-2016

Let's keep in mind, that this is a CIVILIAN carrier. I doubt the house governments would allow something with battleship flak cannons or light battleship turrets to roam around freely. Its enough to have to register the things with some of the houses in the first place.

Personally, I like the idea of a countermeasure slot. If you're going to have a ship without a thruster, then really the CM slot is necessary, whether you use an actual CM or a cloak.

Fighter missiles on a carrier is.. An interesting concept. But they're easily counter measurable. Might as well slap gunboat turret slots on there for that purpose. All cruiser turrets seems fine enough for me, with maybe a heavy slot for utility, or even a gunboat turret slot.

RE: Civilian carrier. Preparation phase - Lythrilux - 04-08-2016

It looks good! However I think making it a wee bit more distinct from the Serenity would be good. Maybe lower the engines/back a bit?

RE: Civilian carrier. Preparation phase - Jack_Henderson - 04-08-2016

Beautiful (draft 1).
I would immediately take it if I was the faction getting it! Big Grin

It just fits the description you put forward and what I would expect from such a ship.

~Jack

RE: Civilian carrier. Preparation phase - Thyrzul - 04-08-2016

(04-08-2016, 12:43 PM)sasapinjic Wrote: -Medium armored BS and agility , around 1.000.000 HP , 7.000.000 power core , Cruiser Shield , no truster ,
-Only light BS , Cruiser or Gunboat weapons ( for solaris ) , maybe 2 to 4 slots for BS Flaks , or 4 FIGHTER Missile slots ( so it can chase off Bombers that attack at 50 meters ) 1 BS or Cruiser Heavy slot or Forward gun for long range support , no primaries ,

No. Rulewise and balance wise it is a liner. This thread is about the model anyways, not ship stats.

RE: Civilian carrier. Preparation phase - Swallow - 04-08-2016

Also keep in mind that I don't decide the stats :]

RE: Civilian carrier. Preparation phase - Epo - 04-08-2016

Looks promising. I'm looking forward to see it finished! Good luck

RE: Civilian carrier. Preparation phase - Sand_Spider - 04-08-2016

(04-08-2016, 02:35 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: No. Rulewise and balance wise it is a liner. This thread is about the model anyways, not ship stats.

Ah, right! Fair point. Back to the model, something that I had been considering.. If this ship ends up being based on the Serenity, would we consider the ship manufactured by Bretonia? Or another group perhaps drawing inspiration from the Serenity?

The launch tube idea from front to back like the Bengal Carrier in Star Citizen is neat, but I also like the thought of a launch pad. Think Elite: Dangerous, where the ship lands on an elevator pad, which then brings the entire ship down into the hangar bay (as opposed to having an elevator sized for personnel). Massive doors close over the launch pad when the elevator pad is in use. Obviously this is not really possible mechanically speaking, due to Freelancer coding difficulty on a player ship, but it's an aesthetic to be considered.