Discovery Gaming Community
Old Ship, New Crew - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Old Ship, New Crew (/showthread.php?tid=138450)

Old Ship, New Crew - WildBill - 04-23-2016

On Board San Juan
In an Unused Docking Bay
While undergoing renovations to the science lab a massive discovery is made.

San Juan is a hidden research facility, employing state of the art labs, equipment, and personnel to study the Puerto Rican Rift. The station has been neglected for some time. While it has been maintained, the science labs have been vacated. The staff having moved on to other scientific endeavors. The recently returned Deputy Arbiter Bill Hickok has pledged to renew research on the Puerto Rican Rift. He recently shuttled a construction crew over to assess the station and it’s labs.

The crews first job is to clean out the unused hangers to make room for lab equipment. Four men in coveralls enter a vast docking bay. The three workers begin to power on a few of the working lights. While the workers attempt to restore lighting, the foreman makes his way up a catwalk to get a better view of the entire hanger. From this vantage he is able to see a massive pile of scrap covering nearly the entire floor of the hanger. In some places, through the gaps in the scrap, the foreman can see the glimmer of glass. In others, a dark black, deeper than the void. “What’s under all that scrap?” the foreman yells to his workers. As the workers power up the massive cargo arms and begin to move piles of scrap the foreman begins to see the outline of a ship. One of the workers shouts to the foreman “What is it boss?” The foreman doesn’t respond. Instead he mutters to himself “I had better call Bill. He will need to see this.”

William makes his way down to the hanger. He had received an urgent call from the foreman he hired to renovate San Juan earlier today. The first thing Bill notices upon entering the massive hanger is the pure size of the vessel stored within. It is quite obvious that this is no ordinary Junker ship. Audible pops and creaks can be heard from his knees as he makes his way up a series of ladders to the catwalks above. As he takes a moment to look upon the massive ship, the foreman approaches. Before the foreman can say a word Bill holds up his hand in the universal sign for stop. In an excited voice, Bill asks “You ain’t told no one bout ‘er, have you?”

The foreman quickly responds “No sir. We found it and contacted you immediately. No one here wants to lose their jobs, or worse, by crossing you or the Junkers Congress.”

Bill cranes his neck, studying the ship. Seemingly unable to find what he’s looking for, “These here eyes ain’t what they used to be. What’s that been written on the side of ‘er?” he asks.

The foreman responds “Slightly lighter black on darker black paint isn’t easy to read sir. I know I wrote it down somewhere.” After digging through multiple pockets the foreman pulls out a single piece of scrunched up paper. Flattening it out, he reads the contents to Bill “Call Sign .:j:.Helepolis”. The foreman quickly balls the paper back up and shoves it into one of his pockets. “Sir, I do not know where this ship comes from, or how it got here. If you don’t mind me asking, what is this?”

Bill takes a moment to look the foreman over. A slight grin spreads across his wrinkled face. “This here is John McAllisters’ ship. He done dissappeared on us an we wasn’t sure where his ship was. Looks like you boys’ve found ‘er.”
[Image: uc?export=view&id=0B2Lt2LOfU6qyUDJvV1ZXZ2F0dWs]
”What’s yer name son?” Bill asks the foreman.

The foreman looks a little frightened. In a shaky voice he responds “It’s Gregory sir, and I swear we will not tell a soul about this!”

”Best you calm down right now son. I ain’t goin to kill you. I’m offerin y’all a pay raise an a new job. I’ll be needin a crew fer this ship. From construction workers to crew, what say you? Is y’all willin to work fer me?”

Unable to answer, Greg merely shakes his head up and down.

”Good. You’ll be fillin the position of my number one. It’ll be yer job to keep the crew in line an make sure the ships a runnin. If’n I ain’t there, yer to help what pilot I send to captain ‘er. An if I ain’t able to send no one, yer to fly ‘er yourself on any mission we may be sendin y’all on.”

RE: Old Ship, New Crew - WildBill - 05-03-2016

On Board San Juan
In the Helepolis Docking Bay
The Helepolis gets an upgrade.

Recently the Rheinland Pirate Cruiser .:j:.Helepolis was rediscovered in an unused docking bay on San Juan. When last we left off Bill Hickok had hired a new crew. This crew comprised of a construction team originally hired to renovate the science labs aboard San Juan.

Gregory and his team are just now finishing up some of the repairs to the Helepolis in order to make it space worthy. The ship itself is not in bad condition, however, it has been sitting in storage for some time. So far the crew hasn’t been able to fully test the ship in space, but they are nearing that phase of their repairs. The last of the new engineer approaches Greg on the bridge. “Sir, we have managed to start the fusion reactor up. The instruments show them running at operating condition.” Greg appears to be excited about this development. He has had his crew working nearly non stop in order to not disappoint Bill. As the engineer finishes his statement Greg closes the last control panel he was refitting. “That is fantastic news. What about the surprise for Bill?” he asks the engineer. The engineer shuffles his feet a little and responds “We managed to install it, but there is no way to test if the device is working correctly.” Greg starts punching buttons on one of the consoles, muttering “I think it is about time the Deputy Arbiter makes an inspection of this ship.”

As Bill enters the hangar he can’t help but notice the fresh coating of black paint on the .:j:.Helepolis. He takes a few minutes to walk all the way around the large vessel. With a pleased look, Bill enters the ship. The interior is dark, but clean. The dull drum of the engines can be felt through the floor, but is nearly imperceptible to the ears. The bridge, however, is full of light. Bill immediately notices Greg sitting in the command chair.

Before Bill can say a word Greg cuts him off. “Sir, the Helepolis is ready for a test flight.”

A smile creases Bill’s face at hearing the news. “I figured y’all would’ve painted ‘er a different color.” he states.

Chuckling quietly, Greg spread his arms wide, gesturing toward the entire ship, saying “We considered it. But isn’t black much harder to see in space?”

The smile in Bill’s face is replaced with a frown. It is quite obvious that he doesn’t get the joke. “Color ain’t goin to make no difference in space. Best you git to explainin yerself.”

Greg quickly looks around before saying “I meant no offense by it. Just a little bit of an inside joke. Let me explain. We have installed a Cloak MKII Advanced on her. Of course, we had to downgrade her armor a little to make some room. I’m sure Junker Congress would prefer the stealth capabilities over armor though.”

For a moment Bill is speechless. As the stunned expression on his face fades he asks Greg “Y’all’ve made ‘er a stealthed ship?”

”Yes sir, we most certainly did. Quiet engines, cloaking device, and black paint. She won’t be easy to see Bill.” Greg responds.

”How long you reckon ‘fore we can put ‘er to use?” Bill asks.

Greg looks over some of the instrument panels, turns to Bill and says “She’s ready right now for a test flight. We only have a single issue. None of us have ever flown a ship, let alone one this size. As far as any sort of combat goes, we are not prepared. I mean seriously, we’re not soldiers.”

”Best you calm down. I’m keen on contactin someone what might know somethin bout findin someone what is capable of captainin this ship.” Bill says as he begins punching in a communication to Mia Trenton.

RE: Old Ship, New Crew - WildBill - 05-07-2016

On Board San Juan
The Helepolis gets an upgrade.

The new crew of the .:j:.Helepolis is not yet been battle tested. In order to ensure the ships success while flying combat missions, Bill has contacted Mia Trenton to find a more capable captain.

Bill sits in the command chair with Gregory manning the main control console nearby. The ship is quiet, all the repairs have been completed by this point. As Bill is inputting a few commands into his console a green light flashes on one corner. Turning to Greg, Bill says “Best you git yerself ready. Feller what’s on his way up here will be takin over.”

Gregory looks up from his console. He casts a quick glance at the door, then turns to Bill. “What about you Bill, this has been your project. Where are you going?” he asks.

”Well, I ain’t gettin any younger. I ain’t always goin to be ‘round to be captainin this ship. Deputy Arbiter got ‘nough responsibilites.” Bill responds.

”The Helepolis has been refit to be a stealth ship. Sir, we aren’t confident in flying her without you here to command. What better man to captain the Helepolis than you?” Greg asks.

Bill looks around the bridge of the ship. He takes a moment to compile himself. Looking Greg directly in the eyes Bill says “Sure am glad I’m able to inspire y’all. But, yer the feller what mentioned we ain’t got no combat experience. I done conversed with Mia, an she’s sendin over a feller what used to fly with James Trenton.”

”That is true. We do need someone that has more experience with fighting. I guess we can use all the help we can get. Have you met this captain yet?” Greg responds.

Before Bill can respond, he is interrupted by the sound of metal scraping on metal. The loud screech can be heard throughout the ship. The screeching gets closer to the bridge door. Bill nods at the door saying “I reckon we’re ‘bout to meet him.”

In walks Marcus…

RE: Old Ship, New Crew - JunkerTown - 05-13-2016

As the door opens the sound of heavy metal footsteps is heard. The large metal monster better known as Marcus steps forward. Stopping just in front of the Deputy Arbiter he pauses and tilts his head to one side. He says..

[Image: A1yC36Q.jpg]

Greetings Deputy Arbiter.
I received a message from Arbiter Mia Trenton telling me to meet you here asap.
Would've gotten here sooner but I was delayed.
Still here I am sir..
You rang?

RE: Old Ship, New Crew - WildBill - 08-05-2016

On Board San Juan
In an Unused Docking Bay
The Helepolis receives a new Captain.

Marcus receives new orders after hearing some bad news.

Bill sizes up the machine in front of him. After taking a moment to compose himself he addresses Marcus. “Ain’t you somethin. I don’t recollect runnin into somethin like you ‘fore. I been told you was loyal to James an I reckon he’s as close to a best friend as I got. We done got James back, but the fellers in a coma, livin on Cardamine to stay alive. Mia’s gone an disappeared on us an I ain’t sure if’n she’ll ever show back up. Figured it were best if’n I took the role of Arbiter so as not to create a power vacuum.”

Marcus stares at Bill. His metal face unable to display the emotions boiling inside.
I understand Arbiter Hickok.
Until James wakes up I will serve the Arbiter of the Junker Congress.
How may I serve you.

Bill motions for Gregory to step forward. “This feller here is Gregory. If’n you ain’t aware, this here ship is the Helepolis. Gregory an his crew ain’t the sort to be captainin a ship this size. Reckon you’ll fit the bill. Marcus, you’ll be takin command of this here ship.” Bill tells Marcus. Turning to Gregory Bill says “Best you git this feller up to speed on the Helepolis.”

Gregory nods his head toward Bill. He quickly rifles through a stack of loose papers. Not finding what he is looking for he pulls up the schematics for the Helepolis on one of the nearby terminals. “From what the Arbiter has told us, this ship was mainly used to defend Congress interests. The original pilot and ship were thought to be lost. Apparently this Mr. McAllister left the ship here on San Juan without telling anyone. Arbiter Hickok hired us to clean this station up. Imagine our surprise when we found this! At the Arbiters request we immediately stopped clean up operations and began repair operations on this ship. After reviewing the schematics on board we realized the potential of this vessel and took it upon ourselves to outfit it with a Cloak Mark II Advanced. Her sleek profile, space black paint, maneuverability, and cloaking ability make her the perfect stealth vessel. We did not remove the weapons the previous owner had on her, but we did have to cut out some of the extra armor in order to fit the cloak technology.”

Bill begins walking around the command deck. Stopping at a display of Liberty he turns toward Marcus. “Reckon we’d best put ‘er to a test. Liberty’s got all kinds of folks ‘round. Git out there, git a few scans of whatever you can. Hell, if’n somethin takes yer fancy follow it ‘round fer a bit. Trick is, don’t git yerself caught an don’t push ‘er too hard. If’n yer able to move ‘round Liberty without ‘em Lawfuls seein you, I’d reckon yer jus the person to be captainin ‘er. Gregory’ll be fillin the role of yer second. He’s a good man, so’s the rest of his team, but they ain’t done nothin like this ‘fore. I’d go easy on ‘em first time out.”

Marcus walks over to the Captain’s chair, but does not sit down.
This chair is built for the average sized human.
It is too small for my large frame.
Gregory, please begin a list of alterations and adjustments that must be made upon our return.
Add a larger Captain’s chair to the list, top priority.
Orders received Arbiter Hickok.
The Helepolis, it’s crew, and captain will do their best.

”Best you be gittin to it then.” Bill states as he leaves the command deck.

RE: Old Ship, New Crew - JunkerTown - 08-24-2016

[Image: abcmaking01.jpg]

The word has been given and now Marcus knows that there's a new Arbiter in town. Bill has given Marcus command of the Congress capital ship cruiser the Helepolis. Plus with the new ship he now has his marching orders to follow. First order of business was to modify the captain's chair on the bridge to accommodate his large stature. The engineers decided the quickest and most efficient way to do this was to remove the chair entirely. In its place locking mechanisms were installed that allowed Marcus to place his feet in and lock him into place. Given the fact that Marcus's robotic body wouldn't require him to ever be seated for comfort. The modification was also outfitted with data ports that would sync up with Marcus's onboard information center. Now the large metal monster could stand in the captain's spot overseeing the crew along with the entire bridge. With that Marcus can issue orders or override the ship's controls with a simple thought. The crews data displays would relay his orders and his communications would announce over the ships private annoucement system. This latest addition fully integrates Marcus completely to the Helepolis! Marcus steps into place and the metal locks clamp down on his feet. Now he is hardwired into the ship's mainframe. A few minutes later an emergency distress signal is received. Marcus using the Helepolis's newly installed command features issues an order to the crew to take off and head towards the Kansas system. Reaching the jumphole Marcus then engages the ship's stealth system. Once the cloaking device engages he then directs the crew to head to the last known coordinates from the distress signal. Upon their arrival this is what they find..

RE: Old Ship, New Crew - WildBill - 08-24-2016

On Board San Juan
In an Unused Docking Bay
A Show of Force.

The Helepolis and it's crew have just returned from testing the ships stealth capabilities. The first mission did not go nearly as planned. The observed parties knew they were being watched. Hopefully the next mission will go better.

Marcus stands in the center of the command deck. While filtering through the ship systems an incoming message is received. Marcus routes it to the main screen.
[Image: uc?export=view&id=0B2Lt2LOfU6qyYnh1TkJ3ak9lWHc]
"Marcus, I got new orders fer you. I'm busy arrangin some new business in the Omegas an need you to pick somethin up fer me. I done arranged to have 150,000,000 Sirius Credts put on yer ship. Take the Helepolis an git a hold of this H.I. McDunnough feller. Don't trust 'em an don't be seen. He should have our old Deputy Arbiter with 'em. If'n he does, git Tyber Zann back an pay the man. Let 'em know I might be contactin 'em fer some more work. If'n he don't, space 'em."

Marcus stares at the screen expressionless until Bill finishes.
Orders received Arbiter.
The Helepolis will leave immediately.

The transmission ends, the screen going black. Marcus steers the Helepolis out of port and contacts H.I. McDunnough.

The Helepolis returns to San Juan in Puerto Rico with one additional person on board.

RE: Old Ship, New Crew - Tyber.Zann - 08-26-2016

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Aboard the Helepolis
On the Bridge
Congressman Zann meets with the Captain
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Having just been released from an extended stay in Sugarland prison, Tyber is excited to thank his rescuer and resume life as a free man.

As Tyber enters the Bridge he's a bit surprised to see Marcus at the helm. His former dealings with the metal leviathan were always as James Trenton's friend and personal bodyguard.

"Well Howdy Marcus! It's been a while, sure is good to see a familiar face"
Welcome aboard Congressman
"I'm anxious to see Puerto Rico again. It's been far too long since I was home. I'm lookin forward to thankin the good Arbiter in person. Is JT in Puerto Rico?"
Affirmative. James Trenton is on San Juan
"So we're gonna meet the Arbiter there?"
Negative. The Arbiter is currently conducting business in New Moscow
"But you just said JT was in Puerto Rico"
Affirmative. James Trenton is on San Juan
"Now you're sayin he's in New Moscow?"
Negative. James Trenton is on San Juan
"So you're taking me to the Arbiter on San Juan?"
Negative. The Arbiter is currently conducting business in New Moscow
"What in tarnation?! You just told me JT's in Puerto Rico... New Moscow is most definitely not in Puerto Rico. So the Arbiter is not in New Moscow"
Incorrect. The Arbiter is in New Moscow
"You're givin me a headache Marcus... How in the world is Arbiter Trenton in two places at the same time?!"
James Trenton is not Arbiter of the Junkers Congress
".... he's not dead, is he? What happened?"
Negative. James Trenton is alive. Arbiter Hickok will explain everything shortly. My orders are to retrieve you and conduct you safely to San Juan.
"To San Juan then... I can only imagine what all's changed whilst I was away."

The jumphole to Puerto Rico comes into view on the main viewing screen. Tyber leans forward in his seat anxious to finally be home again. Smiling he turns once again to the Captain

"Thanks for coming for me Marcus."
Welcome home Congressman

RE: Old Ship, New Crew - WildBill - 09-29-2016

On Board San Juan
Marcus Betrays Junker Congress

The Helepolis now has a competent commander and crew. It has flown a couple of missions and it's stealth abilities are fully tested. Captain Murphy of the Claymore'O'Gordon is on Vieques with his personal Civilian Carrier while the O'Gordon receives a refit.
As the final turrets are mounted on Murphy's personal Civilian Carrier some sort of commotion begins near San Juan. Murphy is a man of action, and without hesitation he orders his ship out to investigate the situation.

Murphy begins to mutter to himself as he steps out onto the main hangar of Vieques. "I dinnae think I'd see the day. Marcus and James leaving us? Bill needs to know."