Discovery Gaming Community
"you're free to bring up the topic on the forums again" - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: "you're free to bring up the topic on the forums again" (/showthread.php?tid=139357)

Pages: 1 2

"you're free to bring up the topic on the forums again" - Thyrzul - 05-14-2016

[2016.05.14. 23:53:05] Thyr: after all these galaxy/system/layout changes we still don't have an ooRp newbie system with guides and one-way jumpholes/gates leading to house capitals

gg
[2016.05.14. 23:54:31] A: it's been talked about several times
[2016.05.14. 23:54:43] Thyr: what was the result of those talks?
[2016.05.14. 23:54:49] A: the conclusion always was that you want newbs immersed into the RP environment straight away

[2016.05.14. 23:55:14] A: Penn usually does its job
[2016.05.14. 23:55:20] Thyr: penn?
[2016.05.14. 23:55:28] Thyr: do you mean with people like xxx?

[2016.05.14. 23:56:02] Thyr: in penn I really don't see any straight-away immersion into RP

[2016.05.14. 23:56:22] Thyr: angels are rarely present
[2016.05.14. 23:56:26] Thyr: and who's there all the time

[2016.05.14. 23:56:29] Thyr: like xxx

[2016.05.14. 23:56:37] Thyr: doesn't seem to care much about RP

[2016.05.14. 23:57:01] Thyr: I'm not saying he isn't helping, he does, just at starting finances, not at roleplaying

[2016.05.14. 23:57:28] Thyr: one can find magnitudes more help to start roleplaying in this community properly when browsing the forums

[2016.05.14. 23:57:35] Thyr: than flying ingame

[2016.05.14. 23:58:00] Thyr: these are the reasons I think said conclusion is stupid
[2016.05.14. 23:58:06] Thyr: either ignorant or lazy

[2016.05.14. 23:59:44] A: there's 1 secret trickt to countering xxx
[2016.05.14. 23:59:51] A: go to Penn and welcome newbies
[2016.05.14. 23:59:54] A: and show them the ropes
[0:00:06] Thyr: lazy it is then

[0:00:45] Thyr: if i'd want to do that, I'd apply for Angel membership

[0:00:56] Thyr: I got better things to do

[0:01:37 | Edited 0:01:49] Thyr: and others wouldn't need to waste their time on newbies either if there would be a starting system dedicated pretty much for showing them the ropes
[0:02:03] Thyr: a simple tutorial system

This cuss...

RE: "you're free to bring up the topic on the forums again" - Lythrilux - 05-14-2016

You missed out my suggestion of a 'Tutorial System' much like 'Tutorial Island' from Runescape.

RE: "you're free to bring up the topic on the forums again" - Thyrzul - 05-14-2016

Feel free to add your part, I filtered so it doesn't look too cluttered.

RE: "you're free to bring up the topic on the forums again" - Slayadok - 05-14-2016

I had someone help me with learning the basics of mining and saying hello... I think Lythrilux is on the right track with a nooby/tutorial system that would be great.

RE: "you're free to bring up the topic on the forums again" - sindroms - 05-15-2016

Fencing off newbies from the rest of the players leaves them to a highly degenerate, oorp enviroment that has nothing to do with the rest of the game.

You need newbies to interact with non-newbie players even if just at an observatory level.

The current location of Penny could only be better if it was a transit system, and not a one way route. Replacing Penny and, say, Ontario would be a good choice, as it involves a mining field in the next system - a source of credits newbies would be highly interested in.

As it is right now though, Penny is doing its job and nothing seems too broken about it. All the system needs is an unwritten rule for pirate players not to be too harsh to players in the Helium field, but that mostly is a problem with the veteran part of the player list, rather than the newbies themselves.

RE: "you're free to bring up the topic on the forums again" - sindroms - 05-15-2016

I think a tutorial system ingame that uses the already existing Banner Text system via playercntrl is a better idea.
When you create a new character, you are prompted by the tutorial message banners - a separate list of game and RP specific information that gets cycled over time. These banners would be disababable by typing in /tutorial off.

If you set the banners to cycle every 2 minutes, this would expose new players to the overwhelming list of information as time goes on.

EDIT: In the end, you cannot expect any kind of ''system'' to fully replace help from actual players. We as vets want a good roleplay enviroment, but do not have the time/willingness to educate new players we find annoying and disruptive due to their newbishness. Unless we fix that, there is to reason to whine. We ain't helping ourselves by ignoring the problem, and an automated system or a newbie system will not fix this.

RE: "you're free to bring up the topic on the forums again" - Corile - 05-15-2016

This should be a thing.

RE: "you're free to bring up the topic on the forums again" - Thyrzul - 05-15-2016

@sindroms
It would indeed better if the newbie starting system would be a gateway, ideal I think would be if it would have one-way gateways to each of the capital systems to give the houses equal chance for newbie distribution, pretty much what's impossible due to how Penny works. How that could be solved with an inRP system I have no idea, that's why my proposal would be about an ooRP system. It doesn't have to be huge, just big enough for all the basics we may want to get the player familiar with, once that's done they can just chose one of the gateways and start meeting non-newbies.

The point isn't to replace "players helping players" with pre-scripted stuff and pre-written guides, tips and tricks, expand it at most. But the main point is to provide the chance for equal newbie distribution between all houses right at the beginning of a player's Disco career.

You know, I was going to elaborate how Freelancer kinda sucks as a platform for ingame tutorials, since we do not have the ability to make custom cinematics with NPC dialogue and such - a visual IRP or oorp style tutorial that the player could select from the ingame to watch, rather than be prompted to the forum or youtube. But then I realized that, wait, we do have a way to deliver this sort of video if we need to.

The launcher.

After the player installs Discovery Mod, they can be prompted to watch an introduction video which is located on the mod install itself as a wmv file. Wmv being a format that any windows install can play by default, of course. The good thing about this is that this could include a single introduction video with basics on the community and game they are about to play, or can contain multiple topic-based videos. This also leaves the choice to have the video on the install itself, or it being a separate download the launcher does if the player clicks Yes, or later chooses to watch as a choice within the launcher - the video itself being hosted on the server the mod install is located on.

That could give a more extensive tutorial on the basics of play than anything we could make as an ingame system.

RE: "you're free to bring up the topic on the forums again" - Thyrzul - 05-15-2016

A video may be more informative with better narration, but an in-game system is interactive. I don't think the two are comparable, but a combination could do wonders.