Discovery Gaming Community
(Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: (Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits (/showthread.php?tid=139829)

Pages: 1 2

(Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits - Sciamach - 05-28-2016

So I've been gone the past 2 weeks, with RL and a few roadtrips absorbing my spare time, only to come back to the majority of the updates.

So, first thing I do is go fly to Valetta, naturally. Dock, hit the trade menu for some odd reason-- and discover this:

[Image: cSmv9U4.png]

....so, why is there a picture of a copyrighted character as a commodity icon?

Don't see what I mean? Hang on, lemmie help real fast: [Image: naked_snake___metal_gear_solid_3_by_yukizm-d8lmwjw.png] [Image: latest?cb=20151113022942]

Mmmmmmhm- solid snake can apparently be a part of your crew now. So in the interest of avoiding a rather un-fun lawsuit from Konami/Hideo Kojima/ whoever has the Metal Gear Solid franchise license these days, can we change the icon back pls?

RE: (Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits - Jack_Henderson - 05-28-2016

Qualitywise debatable, but I guess a change in the color of the clothing would make any similarity vanish. Should be easy to do.

RE: (Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits - RicoValesquez - 05-28-2016

Just put this on him and no one will ever know:

[Image: rakp6cT.jpg?1]

RE: (Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits - Inferno - 05-28-2016

Having Snake a part of my crew would be nice...my ventilation shafts will always be clean, but I would never be able to find him, and I would hear random sounds when I go looking for him.

RE: (Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits - Marburg - 05-28-2016

Heh! I had to double check to make sure this thread wasn't in flood for lulz

Just so you know, in case you didn't already, the odds of disco getting sued for using the likeness of solid snake is so laughably tiny that you'd have to break out an electron microscope to even begin to calculate 'em.
The odds are far greater that your car would operate on action movie physics & explode on impact in a collision. There's bigger odds that you could be struck by lightning on your birthday exactly 2.3 miles from home between 10:23p & 10:24p during a full blood moon.

The reality is, Konami wouldn't sue even if they ever found out.

This is a non-profit mod for an ancient game...Show me a major corporation in any country in the world that would use a lawsuit as a first resort when there's no financial gain, in lieu of (in an absolute worst case scenario) simply sending a form letter to the staff asking them to remove the likeness of their company property.

If it were my thread, I'd have just said hey, why Solid Snake? it breaks immersion & doesn't belong in the mod.

That is closer to the point you wanted to make, amirite?

RE: (Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits - Durandal - 05-28-2016

P'much what Marburg said. I don't like plagiarism because it's laziness and immersion breaking, and sure this'll be corrected. Is anyone getting sued? Naaaaaaaaaah.

RE: (Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits - evanz - 05-28-2016

not sure where that icon came from, the one i use is this

[Image: GanW0bo.jpg]

RE: (Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits - Reid - 05-28-2016

(05-28-2016, 04:31 AM)Marburg Wrote: Heh! I had to double check to make sure this thread wasn't in flood for lulz

Just so you know, in case you didn't already, the odds of disco getting sued for using the likeness of solid snake is so laughably tiny that you'd have to break out an electron microscope to even begin to calculate 'em.
The odds are far greater that your car would operate on action movie physics & explode on impact in a collision. There's bigger odds that you could be struck by lightning on your birthday exactly 2.3 miles from home between 10:23p & 10:24p during a full blood moon.

The reality is, Konami wouldn't sue even if they ever found out.

This is a non-profit mod for an ancient game...Show me a major corporation in any country in the world that would use a lawsuit as a first resort when there's no financial gain, in lieu of (in an absolute worst case scenario) simply sending a form letter to the staff asking them to remove the likeness of their company property.

If it were my thread, I'd have just said hey, why Solid Snake? it breaks immersion & doesn't belong in the mod.

That is closer to the point you wanted to make, amirite?

Didn't Disco already get in trouble for using an image from EVE for the mining machinery?

RE: (Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits - Marburg - 05-28-2016

(05-28-2016, 07:49 AM)Reid Wrote: Didn't Disco already get in trouble for using an image from EVE for the mining machinery?

Did they? I personally don't remember ever hearing anything about it...or, If they did, it obviously wasn't actual, real world "trouble" If it was an honest issue that could cripple or end the mod & community, I reckon the staff would've made more of an effort from that point on to take steps not to allow a repeat of the same type of mistake.

RE: (Unfortunately) bringing back the subject of lawsuits - Alley - 05-28-2016

We did. We got our moddb suspended thanks to some bloke who got permabanned and complained to the moddb staff about copyright infringement due to the mining machinery icon.
It was solved pretty quickly but still.