Discovery Gaming Community
Bretonian Armed Forces Feedback - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Official Player Factions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+---- Forum: Bretonia (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+----- Forum: BAF| (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=124)
+----- Thread: Bretonian Armed Forces Feedback (/showthread.php?tid=14007)

Bretonian Armed Forces Feedback - MrHeadphones - 02-10-2011

Quote: I meant to ask this for a while outta' curiosity:
Why does the BAF fight "home only" actually, I mean, I do remember seeing offensive operations (read: raids) going on way longer ago like to Tau-23 or even Omega-5 and I've noticed a lack of those in these days.
Just wondering why, is all, not meant to be negative feedback or anything.

Basically, we don't go to tau-23 any more because it's a long way through Edinburgh or a highly risky dash past a stationary battleship. Also, Bretonia in RP is supposed to be very on the defensive, so any raids are a little ooRP. Omega-5, similarly, can only be accessed by jump holes (which the BAF probably shouldn't know about)

Bretonian Armed Forces Feedback - Blighter - 02-10-2011

' Wrote:I'd be happy for some advances into the Taus, etc.

' Wrote:Basically, we don't go to tau-23 any more because it's a long way through Edinburgh or a highly risky dash past a stationary battleship. Also, Bretonia in RP is supposed to be very on the defensive, so any raids are a little ooRP. Omega-5, similarly, can only be accessed by jump holes (which the BAF probably shouldn't know about)

I can understand the RP aspect and the whole thing with the trip, but, if I may make a suggestion:

Recently there's been those whole outrages etcetera going on on ganks here and ganks there and bad stuff between Kusari and Bretonia (Note: I do not want to start another discussion on ganks here, just stating "why".) so I'm thinking given that like all the time Bretonia is being defensive, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to be on the offensive here and there (see RM / LN war where, to my knowledge, both sides stage raids here and there) in order to add more "fun stuff" to do for the faction, and in order to partially take the pressure off Dublin as it currently is.

In Tau 31 you'll find that fancy planet Harris with its stationary BS there, and yet I like never ever see fights occurring in T-31. While of course basing whole fleets with caps and so on from there might not be a great idea (As I remembered the Harris forces are basically a now-detached part of the Armed Forces holding out and trying to survive.), some fighter raids surely would be possible from there, no?

Similarly while I understand the reasoning for not going to some places where only JHs lead to, I don't think that Omega-5 is that much a secret. (Back when I was a Corsair in the OPG, Cambridge + the nearby Omegas were our pirating "hotspot" and we did encounter back then-QCRF forces in O-5 a fair amount of times.)

The latter could serve to take the pressure off Dublin and I suppose would even make sense, seeing as Cadiz is way closer to Bretonian space than any other Corsair base is from Dublin (Bar Gran Canaria, if you want to call it a Corsair base due to the Corsair populace on the planet.), and given the terrain - lots of rocks - I can see it being even justifyable in-RP to have strikecraft and even Gunboats operating into O-5 offensively while keeping the precious bigger ships the house needs to survive at home and on the defensive. If complications would arise when it comes to that, Bretonia does have its own Intelligence Service with the matching ID, so having an inRP subdivision of said Intelligence Service focus more on the military and combat aspects (in order to raid) while operating with and within the BAF, that wouldn't be a bad idea either?

Bretonian Armed Forces Feedback - Dieter Schprokets - 02-10-2011

Going out of Bretonia is certainly consistent with this, out of date as it may be:

[Image: bret_zoi.jpg]

And it would get us the hell outta Dublin. A place I hate with hate.

That's not looking that bad then I'm guessing.
If any issues regarding ZoI arose there would still be the Intel. Service ID as a workaround.
Being able to play offensive should be nice for people though when all they're used to is emergency and defense stuff 24/7. It would be cool to see the BAF act as the firestarters here and there, you certainly have the numbers and members to work in that direction from what I know, Dietz.

EDIT: On another note, the Corsairs might like some action extra over there too.

Bretonian Armed Forces Feedback - Hastings - 02-10-2011

He brings up a good question: Why do we stick around in Dublin? Why not just ignore the system?

If I may answer, going to ignore the system might be a little too far-fetched, but given that it is a hotspot for not everyone but a biiig lot of people, it's entirely understandable that 24/7 of defensive play, responding to the same emergencies over and over and over again and again can prove infuriating if you don't have anything to really "balance it out".

I used to be a [LN] member and I know that the whole emergency here, pirates there, Outcasts on that lane, Rogues in Cali, Order from Alaska, etc. thing does end up becoming a chore for many at some point from what I've seen. It can easily lead to bad blood and "faction wars" turning into "player wars", regardless of whether say both sides of a current encounter are just "doing their job" or not. Given that people who have done the same thing over and over again for months with no end in sight will, in most cases, inevitably start losing patience, that can just lead to really bad situations for anyone involved. From what I can tell, factions which are purely "offense-based" tend to end up getting boring after a while, with activity dropping after "enough" raids have been done, whereas factions which are entirely "defense-based" can easily end up with a frustrated memberbase. (I don't mean to point fingers here or anything at anyone, it's just an observation.)

Balancing out one with the other can make the "chores" more enjoyable as they plain and simply don't end up being the only thing you do, but just a part of the variety of actions at your disposal. Of course, that's something where not just the faction in question itself has a responsibility, but the other groups and players around it, hostile, neutral or friendly in-RP, have a responsibility as well. In the BAF's scenario that would, for example, mean for all those Dublin miners to show some amount of understanding regarding the BAF's position, even on the basic levels like a random Miner getting it into his/her head that, another example, if the BAF were currently doing a raid in Omega-5, they ofc. would be already busy with something else and couldn't be at two places at the same time, hence why emergency responses might be unavailable and the miner in question might've to, bluntly put, suck it down and deal with his situation without the aid of Bretonia's resident nannies for once.

Bretonian Armed Forces Feedback - beunt - 02-10-2011

' Wrote:He brings up a good question: Why do we stick around in Dublin? Why not just ignore the system?
Lt Evyn is cool enough to make her squads patrol around Bretonia until someone even remotely lawfull in Dublin calls it in... You can't escape Dublin, no matter what you do you'll get sucked in there like in a spiral of despair ! It grabs you with the ten thousands tentacles of C'thulu, It is the Hell Pit, It is the New Connecticut, It's ... aaaah ! Well long story short, either you go in either you snubs 3/4 of your emergencies.

As for the full defensive stance it is deeply rooted in the player faction lore : the corsair hunt ends at the O5 jump hole, the Treaty of Port Jackson forbids armed forces to enter O 49, and Ta 23 was a matter of rare recon operation only, to a point I forgot the real extent of our ZOI.

So it's a sort of ancestral tradition, it's up to us to make it obsolete I believe.

Bretonian Armed Forces Feedback - Blighter - 02-11-2011

It might not be the worst idea to make it obsolete.
Fresh air for fresh people in a fresh BAF or whatnot, but my suggestions and feedback end here.
Thanks for answering my questions and thanks for the civil discussion on the matter, that was (onoz, bad pun) refreshing.
:)

Bretonian Armed Forces Feedback - SnakThree - 02-25-2011

And here I go:

I am sick and tired of BAF| ensigns. I mean. If they fear to get blown up... Why do they have to hug Essex, call another Bunter Gunship against two fighters, that are almost out of regens and yet still kick ass to one of Bunter GS...

So ... I will get you screens.

The fights started quite hard. We had few low skilled Mollys that got blown up.
Then I kept insisting on a fair fight until I managed to get a fight only against Roc and Challenger. Blown them to pieces.
Then went to help my OC Sabre which was fighting BAF| Templar and Bunter GunShip..
Managed to inflict heavy damages to BAF| so he retreated to Essex. Bunter was running to Essex too.
When I asked BAF| to admit defeat he denied and said he was going to call reinforcments. It came as anothe Bunter GunShip.
BAF| even asked for repairs from miner after hugging Essex for ten minutes.

Reached Essex to be safe
Ten minutes later asked for regens

Shoot me a PM if you want to know his name.

Bretonian Armed Forces Feedback - Slainte - 02-25-2011

I was going to reply to this, but i am not. Dont want to get in trouble with the boss:)