Discovery Gaming Community
Cannonball missile - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Discovery Mod Balance (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Cannonball missile (/showthread.php?tid=140912)

Pages: 1 2

Cannonball missile - nOmnomnOm - 07-07-2016

So does anyone use it? Probably not...
And for good reason too. You need to aim it, it has a long delay in launch ( i think ) and it cant be fired like hellfires.
Not to mention even the damage.

So how does one use it??
For the devs who created it: what was going on in your mind when you were designing it?

RE: Cannonball missile - Haste - 07-07-2016

It will likely be tweaked during the "Auxiliary Weapons" VHF update that @Tachyon is working on (or was, prior to the strike).

It's intended as a high burst damage weapon similar to the MR that's relatively easy to hit thanks to its "proximity fuse". As a bonus it does explosive damage, potentially taking out weapons or other equipment if you manage to land a lot of hits. The drawbacks are that it requires ammo and does less damage than the Mini Razor itself.

It's gone through numerous reworks in an attempt to make it both consistent and balanced. Unfortunately I don't think it really is either right now. Freelancer missiles - especially non-tracking ones - behave a bit strangely.

RE: Cannonball missile - Thunderer - 07-07-2016

I've tried it out in SP. Works quite well on NPCs, but those aren't terribly good at dodging. I don't know if server lag would have an impact too.

RE: Cannonball missile - Stone21 - 07-07-2016

(07-07-2016, 02:38 PM)Haste Wrote: It will likely be tweaked during the "Auxiliary Weapons" VHF update that @Tachyon is working on (or was, prior to the strike).

It's intended as a high burst damage weapon similar to the MR that's relatively easy to hit thanks to its "proximity fuse". As a bonus it does explosive damage, potentially taking out weapons or other equipment if you manage to land a lot of hits. The drawbacks are that it requires ammo and does less damage than the Mini Razor itself.

It's gone through numerous reworks in an attempt to make it both consistent and balanced. Unfortunately I don't think it really is either right now. Freelancer missiles - especially non-tracking ones - behave a bit strangely.

Just revert it back to the original. You made so many changes to this missile and to other missiles until you ruined them all for good. Not even mentioning the other 50% missiles which have been removed from the mod because well FL wasn't supposed to have so many missiles, let's remove a few. I am sure the word "variety" isn't in your dictionary. "Congratulations to Tachyon or yourself Haste, a job well done."

RE: Cannonball missile - pillow - 07-07-2016

(07-07-2016, 04:02 PM)Stone21 Wrote: Just revert it back to the original. You made so many changes to this missile and to other missiles until you ruined them all for good. Not even mentioning the other 50% missiles which have been removed from the mod because well FL wasn't supposed to have so many missiles, let's remove a few. "Congratulations to Tachyon or yourself Haste, a job well done."

As far as I remember the original was just a "press-button-to-damage-enemy" kind of missile. How am I not surprised that you'd want that stupidity back on every single one of your ships?

RE: Cannonball missile - Stone21 - 07-07-2016

(07-07-2016, 04:05 PM)Phantom Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 04:02 PM)Stone21 Wrote: Just revert it back to the original. You made so many changes to this missile and to other missiles until you ruined them all for good. Not even mentioning the other 50% missiles which have been removed from the mod because well FL wasn't supposed to have so many missiles, let's remove a few. "Congratulations to Tachyon or yourself Haste, a job well done."

As far as I remember the original was just a "press-button-to-damage-enemy" kind of missile. How am I not surprised that you'd want that stupidity back on every single one of your ships?

That stupidity is that, this is how every missile actually works, let it be in real life or in a game. Not every missile launch was a hit if you knew how to avoid them. The game was very well balanced back in the days and there were many missiles available here and on other unmodded servers. But of course Phantom you have to come and post your bright ideas - how does a missile work?! Don't you press a button ? Isn't it guided? Even today's missiles are heat guided... Look again at what you just wrote.

(07-07-2016, 04:09 PM)Stone21 Wrote: That stupidity is that, this is how every missile actually works, let it be in real life or in a game. Not every missile launch was a hit if you knew how to avoid them. The game was very well balanced back in the days and there were many missiles available here and on other unmodded servers. But of course Phantom you have to come and post your bright ideas - how does a missile work?! Don't you press a button ? Isn't it guided? Even today's missiles are heat guided... Look again at what you just wrote.

With the current system at least you have to point your cursor in the general direction of the dude and then press the button to hit (or miss) the dude.

And, my god, the bright idea I came up with is to just wait for the New and Improved! system that the devs are planning. Can you believe that?

RE: Cannonball missile - Shinju - 07-07-2016

(07-07-2016, 04:05 PM)Phantom Wrote: As far as I remember the original was just a "press-button-to-damage-enemy"

There is also a "C" button which drops Countermeasure flares.

Anyway, I am looking forward to new changes.

(07-07-2016, 04:35 PM)Shinju Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 04:05 PM)Phantom Wrote: As far as I remember the original was just a "press-button-to-damage-enemy"

There is also a "C" button which drops Countermeasure flares.

Anyway, I am looking forward to new changes.

Oh, I completely forgot about it. Thank you for reminding me, sweetiekins.

RE: Cannonball missile - Shinju - 07-07-2016

np.