Discovery Gaming Community
Sirius Radio? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Media Center (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Sirius Radio? (/showthread.php?tid=141803)

Sirius Radio? - Magnifique - 08-04-2016

EDIT: tl;dr: Here is the first radio show of what I had in mind. Found a much better alternative for the voices Wink

Radio Free Sirius

Check the thread for more on it and credits and so on
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had this idea while listening to the radio channels in Fallout New Vegas.

So there is the Epic Tunes thread with people sharing songs.

And there is sindrom's discovery youtube channel.

How about making an IRP Sirius Music (and news) Channel that one can listen to when doing rather boring doing stuff like mining or trading?

I'm thinking auf audio-only play lists, maybe on youtube or a more suitable platform (maybe someone knows one?).

There are bound to be copyright issues depending on what country you're in, so use a platform (dunno how its handeld in youtube) where the retricted song is just skipped and then the playlist automatically resumes with the next.

News flashes, IRP radio-jock babble, or interviews could also be included as one element in the lists.

I'm thinking of "Miner's Channel", "Traders Channel", "Liberty Radio", "Gallic Royal Broadcast Outlet", "Coalition Propaganda Platform", "Radio Malta Imaculada Concepcion", "Fighter's Channel", "Liberty (Xeno) Infowars", and so on...

Each channel would consist mainly of songs fitting each channel, with some talking by people who wish to (or not), or news bulletins written by members read by... who better than sindroms?

If its on youtube, the songs should NOT incude moving pictures, so it doesn't cause lag when listening ingame.

It could be handled where players just post appropriate content on the chosen platform just like in the epic tunes thread (but without moving picture videos), and a channel owner adds them to the play lists.

RE: Sirius Radio? - Juan_Arquero - 08-04-2016

(08-04-2016, 01:36 PM)Magnifique Wrote: So there is the Epic Tunes thread with people sharing songs.

And there is sindrom's discovery youtube channel.

How about making an IRP Sirius Music (and news) Channel that one can listen to when rather boring doing stuff like mining or trading?

I'm thinking auf audio-only play lists, maybe on youtube or a more suitable platform (maybe someone knows one?).

There are bound to be copyright issues depending on what country you're in, so a platform (dunno how its handeld in youtube) where the retricted song is just skipped and then the playlist automatically resumes with the next.

News flashes, IRP radio-jock babble, or interviews could also be included as one element in the lists.

I'm thinking of "Miner's Channel", "Traders Channel", "Liberty Radio", "Gallic Royal Broadcast Outlet", "Coalition Propaganda Platform", "Radio Malta Imaculada Concepcion", "Fighter's Channel", "Liberty (Xeno) Infowars", and so on...

Each channel would consist mainly of songs fitting each channel, with some talking by people who wish to (or not), or news bulletins written by members read by... who better than sindroms?

If its on youtube, the songs should NOT incude moving pictures, so it doesn't cause lag when listening ingame.
+1
Note that you can't call it Sirius Radio as that is already copyrighted, but you could probably call it Freelancer Discovery Radio.

RE: Sirius Radio? - Magnifique - 08-04-2016

(08-04-2016, 01:47 PM)Juan_Arquero Wrote: +1
Note that you can't call it Sirius Radio as that is already copyrighted, but you could probably call it Freelancer Discovery Radio.

Note that there can be several radio channel (playlists), owned by different disco members, having any name they want, and any content they want, and people suggesting contributions to anyone they want in a thread (and its up to the radio channel owners to include it in their channel or not).

I guess admins could remove the link to a channel from the forums if it has content they deem inappropriate.

Just wanted to bring up the idea, and people do what they want with it.

RE: Sirius Radio? - sindroms - 08-04-2016

I had an idea to produce a weekly or twice-a-weekly ''news'' episode for the most interesting things going on on the server IRP and OORPy. My idea is to present it in an OORP manner, of course, as trying to RP over audio seems a tad silly to me. The reason why I didn't is because I would need to pay extra-attention to various things, but if people are willing to submit material to mention - I can do that to see if it works, sure.

As for the issue with copyright, the only issue with my channel so far is that certain countries do this differently. I often see my videos using, say, Fallout 3 or Flatout 2 songs blocked in Germany and US only. I currently have a few playlists saved that do not get flagged by anyone just for the livestream background audio, but apart from that it is very problematic to do. Unless you check yourself song by song, it is hard to tell which ones will get the whole video blocked and which ones won't.

RE: Sirius Radio? - Juan_Arquero - 08-04-2016

Each house could have its own channel. Corporations could advertise their products and services. I can imagine OSC advertising their resorts, Samura advertising Kyushu rice, Synth Foods advertising their different flavors of Synth Paste, even Soylent Green. Factions could use public service announcements for recruiting. Liberty Navy could have patriotic PSAs for recruiting on the Liberty Channel. Spazzydragon/sindroms has the right accent for the Bretonian Channel. The Coalition Communications Channel could run PSAs recruiting for the Red Hessians and the Mollies. These channels might even be used to interest new players in playing Freelancer and the Discovery mod.

RE: Sirius Radio? - Big_B - 08-04-2016

I would appreciate a weekly/monthly oorp "News" that just shows everything important that happened in the week, like "last week tonight" on youtube

RE: Sirius Radio? - Magnifique - 08-09-2016

Ok during the past week I fooled around with possibilities a bit, and 1-hour long radio show composed of 13 parts in a playlist is the result:

Radio Free Sirius (click on "play all")

Personally I think it turned out quite nicely Tongue

I'm still experimenting and trying to optimize the production process. Could also use some collaborators to share the work load. I guess people could also make their own radio show in the same way.

For Radio Free Sirius, I set myself the following rules for contributions:
1) Has to be IRP and within the Freelancer universe
2) No hassling or denigrating of real people
3) Puns and bounties on RP characters are permitted, but within reason
4) Must be conform to Forum and Server rules.

If you like it, tell your friends about it and share it.

There may be copyright issues and blocked song in some countries, if one of the playlist elements is blocked for you, please post and tell me.

I also have a mp3 of the whole 1 hour show in one file, but don't know a good place to upload it. Anyone who knows a good site for hosting such content better than youtube please tell me too.

Also, does anyone know how to link the youtube playlist so it autoplays at part 1, and maybe embed it? Cant seem to figure out how myself.

I hope this sort of thing can attract more role play oriented players (back) to discoveryGC.

Here are the credits which are also given in the last part of the list:

Voice synthesis by Free Online TTS Service, Acapella Box, and Oddcast
Mr Free Sirius (Larry) : Old man Will
Rasberry : Micah
Claire McPfeiffen : Daisy
CNS Berlin reporter : Saul
Lydia Steinbach : Sarah
CNS Manhattan reporter : Rod
John McSilver : Ryan
Anonymous RM pilot : Claudia
Eva Adenauer : Claudia
"Sympathy for the Devil"
written by The Rolling Stones
performed by Guns and Roses
"To Thalia Thorn, from Nesrin Khan" by Erinyes mixed onto "T. Amos & P. Gauweiler - Flavor" by Magnifique
CNS news reports written by Colony News Service and the Kitty
"Jesus built my Hotrod" by Ministry
"Duelling Banjos" performed by the inbred kid in "Deliverance"
Bounties written by Joe Pickens, Jazzi, and Spectre
"Bring me my Shotgun" by Lightnin' Hopkins
"Down by the Water (blue eyed whore remix)" by PJ Harvey
"A Missive to the People of Liberty" written by Eva Adenauer, edited by Magnifique
"I against I" by Mos Def and Massive Attack
Radio Free Sirius Show 1 - Grand Opening - was written, produced, and edited by Magnifique
Radio Free Sirius is dedicated to everyone playing on the Discovery Freelancer RP 24/7 server.
Show 1 is specially dedicated to developer Alley for FLHook programming and to the House of Liberty for its awesome role play.

Also Alley, how's the event system coming along? Tongue