Discovery Gaming Community
Quality of Life system changes - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: Quality of Life system changes (/showthread.php?tid=143450)

Quality of Life system changes - Irwin - 09-22-2016

Quote:http://i.imgur.com/vQhmT2b.png

Stretching the forums the first time was not nice, why do it again a second time?
~Spazz

if you want the mod to stop dying you should do this.

inb4 "waaahh but muh muh muh faction's special plaything in system x!" shut up no one cares about your faction this is about saving the mod

The current development and moderation staff would like to silence legitimate criticism by moving threads which contain it to flood. This is absolutely disgusting. Let your voice be heard.

RE: Quality of Life system changes - Vendetta - 09-22-2016

No lol.

Your suggestion wasn't going to make anything better.

It had no merit or reason to be in the dev section.

RE: Quality of Life system changes - Irwin - 09-22-2016

(09-22-2016, 06:41 AM)Vendetta Wrote: Your suggestion wasn't going to make anything better.

didnt you quit

RE: Quality of Life system changes - Black Smoke - 09-22-2016

These systems don't need to be removed, they need a purpose, make a Sirius vide trade rout that makes a lot of money (300mil or more) per run, IDs could be a problem, nothing that can't be changed, also each commodity would have to make the same amount of money, so people wouldn't do only one or two instead of the whole thing

Also, from your map you would delete the home system of the Red Hessians, I think that's bad, they are kinda big

RE: Quality of Life system changes - Tabris - 09-22-2016

Frankly it is not possible to conduct the proposed changes. Several of the systems cut are vital to the storylines of many factions and would be adversely afflicted if the changes came to pass (Such as the proposed cutting out of Omega-11, a Vanilla system which plays a major role in the Daumann/Rheinland-Hessian conflict) . We have already trimmed many systems from Sirius, especially from the Gallic sector of space so it would be unwise at this time to cut too many more.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but that's my angle on it.

(09-22-2016, 06:43 AM)Irwin Wrote:
(09-22-2016, 06:41 AM)Vendetta Wrote: Your suggestion wasn't going to make anything better.

didnt you quit

They locked my thread so I couldn't post that I came back.

Tabris beat me to it.

RE: Quality of Life system changes - Durandal - 09-22-2016

Ok irwang it was only funny the first time

RE: Quality of Life system changes - Irwin - 09-22-2016

(09-22-2016, 06:55 AM)Tabris Wrote: Frankly it is not possible to conduct the proposed changes. Several of the systems cut are vital to the storylines of many factions and would be adversely afflicted if the changes came to pass (Such as the proposed cutting out of Omega-11, a Vanilla system which plays a major role in the Daumann/Rheinland-Hessian conflict) . We have already trimmed many systems from Sirius, especially from the Gallic sector of space so it would be unwise at this time to cut too many more.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but that's my angle on it.

there are too many storylines for this game to be good.

like, literally every single house except bretonia has a civil war.

you're on the story dev team. you should be ashamed of yourself.

for ex: rousillon system. i'm sorry council, but no one cares about that system or settling that planet. it's the most deadend kind of roleplay you can have. so many proto-houses colonizing planets when we can't even populate the /actual/ houses in game. please make it stop

Council players care.

People might not want to play in the houses. That's why there's Edge worlds, independent worlds, so on and so forth.

EDIT:

But legit, it's 2016. This is a game that's over a decade old with a dwindling playerbase and shrinking mod. Making the mod even smaller isn't going to help in any possible way to raise the player count. The recent events done by @sindroms have helped in keeping activity up, and its been nice to see him taking a hands on approach with the community like that.

But facts are facts - Freelancer is old, and the current generation of space sims - albeit incomplete and somewhat broken - far surpass it in today's standards, as many people judge games based on looks. While we have some wonderful mods such as the swag pack to give Discovery a fresh feel, it's still no competition for what is released/being released, and all eyes are on the new, not the old. Newer games with much more content than what we already have. Do you really think shrinking it down to the bare minimum of the most active systems is going to somehow increase activity? Or wouldn't it be easier to remove the stigma of 'there's nothing online for me to log for, so I won't log'?

It would be, but it just isn't that simple.

Because as much as we like to forget, one of the major attractions to the mod is the fact it has an active community around it. A community which is quite often referred to as the most toxic gaming community some people have ever participated in. The general approach to newcomers has always been with some distaste and disdain, and that hasn't changed in half a decade since I came here back in 2010. It's surprisingly tough to get started when everyone already looks down upon people by setting their own standards too high and shunning others who don't meet them. That type of attitude in a community isn't very healthy or welcoming to new people.

The mod isn't as dead as you'd like to believe though.

There are still fights. There is still roleplay. People still log in to play the game. People still have fun. Clinging to the past glories of 4.85 or other active time periods of the mod is just as bad as leaving it to rot when we could be contributing to make it a better place, rather than going at each others throats over who has a better idea on how to 'save the mod!'. In the words of someone who has been here far longer than I and seen the inner workings:

You can't save something that is effectively suffering from a terminal illness.

What illness is that, you ask? Who knows. There's many problems with the mod and the community. None that can be fixed by making people all group together even closer and become even more agitated by existing in one another's space. That just degrades to more poop tossing and whining than the staff can handle.

So what's a solution?

Advertise. Change the approach to newcomers and others in the community. We're all adults and should be getting along, but instead we're essentially in a giant internet daycare playing make-believe with toy space ships that defy the laws of physics in more ways than one.

But DON'T axe content if you want to keep things fresh and interesting. The wait for 4.86 and staleness is what dropped the count in the first place.