Discovery Gaming Community
The Miracle Work - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: The Miracle Work (/showthread.php?tid=143756)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Miracle Work - TheSauron - 09-30-2016

A steady, muffled roar of Tripoli's reactor accompanied Sunny and Flora as they crossed the narow, tortuous corridors hollowed out through the stone. Every now and then they passed by Cretan crewmen, each and every one of them giving the guests a surprised look. Flora was taking the lead, apparently having already memorised the way to her ship. As Tripoli wasn't an extraordinarily large station, it didn't take them too long to reach their target.

The hangar wasn't large. It was most likely just some spare space left after the main corridors were finished, hollowed out for a small hangar. The airlock was barely enough for the Anaconda to fit in. The ship in question was positioned right in front of the door Flora and Sunny used to enter. It's nose was exactly on the height of the entrance. The fighter was hanging in the air, kept in place by docking clamps expanded from each wall, most likely due to the ship's own antigravity gear being gone.

As soon as Flora and Sunny went around the hangar, walking on a balcony attached to the wall opposite of the airlock, it became apparent that antigravity gear wasn't the only thing missing. The ship was stripped of pretty much every hull panel it once had, its bare insides now clearly visible from the outside. Wires, cables, tanks, scanner's housing inside of the ship's nose, fuel pipes leading to manouvering thrusters and the engine mount. Once they got downstairs, to the floor of the hangar, Sunny could see the ship from the left side. The first thing of note was a large, glaring gap in the middle of the ship, previously occupied by its powercore. The core itself was lying on the other side of the ship, a battered pile of parts, unusable for anything else than smelting. Upon further inspection, it became obvious that the ship's engine, located on the back of the nose, was gone, along with the left fin.

Once they were more or less near the middle of the ship Flora stopped. She looked at it and sighed.

- There it is.

RE: The Miracle Work - nOmnomnOm - 10-02-2016

Sunny grimaced a little when he caught site of the ship Flora had told him about that needed repairs. In his mind, he had though the damages were not so bad, though he was clearly mistaken as reality of the situation sunk in. As he walked down the steps to the lower platform, he looked up at the ship and observed it carefully, looking for anything in the details that might indicate even the wiring and other technical things of the ship were damaged beyond what he could visually make out. It didn't help too that the hangar was cramped for the ship as well. Usually he had more space to work on such projects.

He instinctively jumped in the air, though as the logical progression of things works, he went back down to the ground. He'd forgotten that this station didn't have an anti-gravity system put in place as to what he was used to on the Blackhack. Back there, he could freely jump into the air and move around the ship easily to access all around it. He might notice also Flora look at him strangely, though he ignores it.

He reaches into his tool-belt that he had brought with him, leaving behind his other equipment that would be larger back on the ship they came with, and grabbed a scanning orb. Flicking the button on, the orb lit up read and floated up in the air head-height, following Sunny as he started to face around the ship.

He walked to the reactor that is now a load of unusable scrap and kicked it with his leg it shove it a bit. He shook his head as he noticed this would be a lot of work and not just a simple replacement of parts.

"You've got ... quite the job to do with this one ... how did you manage to scrap her up so bad?.... never-mind... not important." He waved it off and took the orb in his hand. "Mind if I do some scanning around the ship? I need to have it properly inspected... especially with this much damage to everything." He shook his head a little.

With another command on the orb, the object turned a bright red and rose up higher into the air. Once middle-level to the ship, the orb shot out lazers and started to travel around the ship as it scanned and mapped out the ship's condition.

[Image: GcLQ2gk.png?1][Image: RD9zLd1.jpg?1]

RE: The Miracle Work - TheSauron - 10-31-2016

- Feel free. - Flora answered with a sigh. Sunny's remarks about the ship's conditions weren't really making her mood any better. She briefly followed the orb with her look before turning her attention back to the ship.

Although majority of parts that were still on the ship were original, it was pretty easy for the orb to determine that the entire frame was made of cretan alloys. It was quite a marvelous piece of work, most likely superior to what originally held the ship together.

- A single nuke was all it took. It's not one of those new models with heavier armour. It was made of paper... - Flora sighed again. - It'll pretty much be a completly new ship once I'm done with restoring it. - she looked at Sunny. - Do you think it's even possible to put her back into action?

RE: The Miracle Work - nOmnomnOm - 11-10-2016

"Hmm... well... funny you should mention that... there is actually some philosophy behind that... I think it's called the Paradox of Theseus' Ship..." Sunny says as he looks at the orb traveling around the ship and finishing it's scan. "It's something like... if you replace one part of a ship... you'd argue it is still the same... but what happens when you replace another and another until you end up replacing in the end all the parts. Is it still the same ship? And then... what happens if those old parts that were replaced you put back together to make another ship... which one would be the one you started out with?" Sunny says, and then smirks back at her for a little before looking back and seeing the orb has finished it's scan and was descending to him,

As it traveled down, it then pointed towards sunny and created a hologram in front of him with a perfect holographic model of the ship in three-dimension. Sunny smirked and walked around the hologram.

"In any case... anything is possible when it comes to these things, Flora..." He interacted with the orb and did some searches, studying the model and making it render it's probable full completed state from what the orb knew from it's memory banks. The orb had identified the ship and was now creating and organizing parts that would be needed in the model with a blue light instead of the base color of red light indicating the scanned ship. Sunny studied the model as it progressed further. "... just... the question is if it is worth it or... how long... hmmm... I see you already did some work on this ship before..."

RE: The Miracle Work - TheSauron - 11-11-2016

- It's worth it. - Flora said almost immediately, seemingly upset that he dared to consider the restoration to be not worth the hassle. - And yes, I have already employed Tripoli's engineers to restore the structure. It's not falling apart on its own now. Everything else, though... It'll be worth it. - she repeated. She then observed the hologram in silence.

- I'll have a new powercore soon enough. The scanner will also need a replacement, and so will onboard computers. I'll get those as well. - she spoke while observing the growing number of blue parts in the hologram. - Well, this roughly matches my shopping list...

RE: The Miracle Work - nOmnomnOm - 11-21-2016

"Hmm... so you'll need me to help you assemble all of that stuff too huh?" He asked her, though noticing as well she was very attached to this ship as well. "Don't worry about her... She'll be up and running... just takes some skilled work to do this little surgery, heh." He says and watches as the rendering of the model finishes with all the blue vs red parts put in place. With a wave of his hand, the model's parts expand into a 3D exploded parts model, showing how they all connect but are now separated to see individually. "And you need that engine.... here." He says and touches the engine on the hologram to select it.

"So you're telling me the corsairs will hook you up with a new powercore? That can be useful... and would help with the new engine... perhaps would even get some updates out of it's performance."

RE: The Miracle Work - TheSauron - 11-26-2016

Flora couldn't hide a smirk when Sunny lectured her about the location of the engine.

- A Corsair powercore? Goddess, of course not! It won't even fit. I ordered one from Samura instead. Sure, it won't be as strong, but it's much lighter. As for assembling the entire ship... Well, I can do that on my own. I like tinkering with my ships. But I'll appreciate the help, if you're able to. - she turned her attention back to the ship, focusing on where a fin used to be.

RE: The Miracle Work - nOmnomnOm - 11-26-2016

Sunny chuckles. "Suite yourself, sweetheart. Though I can give you a copy of the file for this model here. SIM technology. Ship Information Modeling. A chip is all you need on a computer to get the simulation going on a screen. Quite handy stuff.

"Right ... so ... the reason why I am here. I guess I'll radio in the crew and have the ship fly around and dock next to the entrance here and get a connection going so we can get that engine we brought in here.... I'll have to mount that myself and make sure it goes on well.... in the mean time... the electrical stuff isn't working either... but all I need is the stuff to get the engine working.... Hmm...."

He made some adjustments on the holographic model and hid some 'layers' so it would only show the electrical wiring for engine use. "Right.... that's what we need to rejoin... Where are the tools around here?"

RE: The Miracle Work - TheSauron - 11-27-2016

- They're in the containers by this wall. - she nodded behind them. - The containers hover, if you don't feel like running back and forth. Actually, I may as well... - she rolled up her sleeves, revealing a small device on one of her wrists, and a bracelet on another. She played a bit with the device and soon the containers raised themselves with a groan, barely floating above the ground, and slowly moved towards them. Upon reaching the desired location they coughed and fell on the ground with a thud. - Here. Want me to help you with something? Or should I just sit back and watch?

RE: The Miracle Work - nOmnomnOm - 12-02-2016

"Well you could give some moral support... either that 6 pack I mentioned to get or perhaps you in a bikini would do." He laughs and teases her.

"No... but really... find me a wrench or something in there to look at this thing. Some bolts I guess will need to be unscrewed.... " he says and walks up closer to the spacecraft to start meddling with it.