Discovery Gaming Community
POB Grieving and the Rule-Abiding Grievers - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: POB Grieving and the Rule-Abiding Grievers (/showthread.php?tid=144373)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

POB Grieving and the Rule-Abiding Grievers - Skyelius - 10-18-2016

Dear everyone,

It is no secret that POB grieving and OORP hate are the primary cause of people leaving our community.

Many, when frustrated with the decisions of Administrators and Developers, resort to hurting others, which slowly destroys the server.

This is a call to all players: active, inactive, banned, and forumlancers - to protect the feelings, time, and work of your fellow players.

Discovery, for many players, remains an "unfinished chapter" in their lives, but damaging people is not the way.

If you're invited by your friends/buddies to raid a base "for the lulz" or after hearing a lame or barely convincing bad thing about the POB owner(s), you can say no, and true friends will remain your friends!

There are many ways to enjoy the game. Everyone knows that having a ship blown up doesn't cost as much as losing a base.

Admins, please hear me out:
-Perhaps, it could be a good idea to inflict a penalty for losing your ship during a base siege, of several million credits, proportional to the risk to the base.
-I no longer find the part where it says that "POB Attack Declarations last 2 weeks". Was that removed? Why? Still, If it wasn't removed, I think POB attack declarations SHOULD ONLY LAST 3 FATEFUL DAYS, and 2 different cooldowns should be implemented:
---1) Cooldown for the Faction(s) participating in a POB Attack. 2 months seems fair to me.
---2) Cooldown for the base being attacked. 1 month seems fair to me.

Reduce these windows, reduce the chances of people hurting others.

Grievers, please hear me out:
-Watch the movie or read the plot of: "Law-Abiding Citizen" so you can understand why Admins must sometimes act the way they do.
---The main antagonist in the movie is a man that feels he was wronged and decides to unjustly dish out pain and suffering.
---Essentially, this man studied law well and his actions were impossible to concretely accuse in court; people knew the damage he was doing, but the legal system did not provide a means of catching him.
---This translates to "Rule-Abiding Griever" in our community. Sure, nobody can catch you because you do the damage you do cleverly, but remember: this is a private server, and justice will ultimately crush you, in this community or your next; in this existence or the next: you will pay for the damage you've done.
-Knowing this, you shouldn't be proud of the fact that the reason for sanctioning you is obscure or nonexistent, but instead ashamed of the fact that you do not have the courage to openly declare what you will do before you do it; that you hide and sometimes even dare to blame others in order to not get caught.

I am committed to fighting this behavior. I don't know who you are, but if you're doing this, I don't hate you, but I will fight you, until you change. I believe in second and third chances. I believe that there is healing for broken hearts and people who consider themselves victims IRL and pass that damage on to others in games.

With all sincerity and good will,
Skyelius

RE: POB Grieving and the Rule-Abiding Grievers - Kalhmera - 10-18-2016

Interesting read...

It is true the attackers dont really lose anything...

as far as implementing some sort of penalty upon death... the rules already do that. player cant come back in for 2 hours... making the defense easier.

I see your point but trying to implement something at that scale is impossible.

RE: POB Grieving and the Rule-Abiding Grievers - Skyelius - 10-18-2016

(10-18-2016, 03:14 AM)Kalhmera Wrote: Interesting read...

It is true the attackers dont really lose anything...

as far as implementing some sort of penalty upon death... the rules already do that. player cant come back in for 2 hours... making the defense easier.

"Come back in 2 hours!" is not a penalty at all compared to some bases that are lost with LOTS OF RP MADE, LOTS OF TIME INVESTED, and BILLIONS OF CREDITS.

As you said, attackers don't really lose anything.

RE: POB Grieving and the Rule-Abiding Grievers - nOmnomnOm - 10-18-2016

I am kinda in favor of this sort of cool-down thing.
You can also see in seiges that people in caps can even run away and switch the snubs to take out the enemy and then come back later in caps to shoot the base down.

Definitely... I think there is room for a cool-down rule to be set in place.

RE: POB Grieving and the Rule-Abiding Grievers - Wesker - 10-18-2016

I take it this thread is being made because of my little brigade.

Welcome to Rheinland, Hessians are not nice people. Please read the RHA lore if you want to see the inrp history Daumann and kruger have with RHA. I'm sure it will enlighten you on why RHA wants to screw over Daumann and Kruger inrply.

All other complaints and accusations should be sent to the RHA feedback thread.

RE: POB Grieving and the Rule-Abiding Grievers - nOmnomnOm - 10-18-2016

For the record, I am responding to the OP and the idea it has.
I don't have any other involvement in ideas about where this thread came from.

(10-18-2016, 03:47 AM)Wesker Wrote: I take it this thread is being made because of my little brigade.

Wesker, this thread is being made to address the root of the problem and not the drop that spilled the glass or a situation that may have inspired me to think in a greater scope*. In the final lines of the post I wrote "I don't know you", and that applies in many senses.

(10-18-2016, 03:47 AM)Wesker Wrote: Welcome to Rheinland, Hessians are not nice people. Please read the RHA lore if you want to see the inrp history Daumann and kruger have with RHA. I'm sure it will enlighten you on why RHA wants to screw over Daumann and Kruger inrply.

This is about the future and the community, not about iRP excuses, lame or not.

(10-18-2016, 03:47 AM)Wesker Wrote: All other complaints and accusations should be sent to the RHA feedback thread.

When I have an argument that, in my honest opinion, can improve RHA only, or that is confined to RHA, I will not hesitate to use the RHA Feedback thread.

RE: POB Grieving and the Rule-Abiding Grievers - Wesker - 10-18-2016

3 days is not nearly enough time to coordinate and knock out core3-above pobs especially ones with loads of defences.

2 months? Are you serious? 2 months cooldown? I could get banned and unbanned in that time. That's way too long.

(10-18-2016, 03:59 AM)Wesker Wrote: 3 days is not nearly enough time to coordinate and knock out core3-above pobs especially ones with loads of defences.

2 months? Are you serious? 2 months cooldown? I could get banned and unbanned in that time. That's way too long.

Perhaps.

I guess you have vast experience with this sort of thing. You could contribute by fairly suggesting more adequate times.

The general idea of a risk for attackers (who have nothing to lose right now), I believe, is a necessary implementation, and also a window of relief for the victim base.

The current time of 2 whole weeks in which the attack can take place at any time is too big...

RE: POB Grieving and the Rule-Abiding Grievers - Thyrzul - 10-18-2016

Reading the OP got me the feeling this is more like about nerfing siege options in general, not really anti-grief, but anti-siege, somehow the tone felt like suggesting all sieges are bad, and I disagree with such notions. Building bases is part of the gameplay, but then so is losing them, after all they weren't set to have infinite health for a reason. Sieges aren't necessarily bad or unjustified either.

So how about we drop the idea of suggesting even more rules and regulations and just stick to the good old but sadly still unimplemented idea of nerfing repair rate big time and buffing hull points big time so that we'll have more than a narrow line between infinite and minute-long sieges where the difference between the two is just the DPS of mere 1-2 cerbs, and finally have things like week(s)-long sieges where both sides can prepare and coordinate appropriately?