Discovery Gaming Community
Ghost in the Shell 2017 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Ghost in the Shell 2017 (/showthread.php?tid=145305)

Ghost in the Shell 2017 - Geoffacake - 11-13-2016

My cyberpunk boner went through the roof.

RE: Ghost in the Shell 2017 - mayu20 - 11-13-2016

Oh yeah, can't hope for this movie, not because Scarlet Johansson or because its based on an awesome cartoon, but because of the cyberpunk future portrayed. The amazing large city, the small crowded streets, the neon lights and all the crazy fashion. The same reason I loved Blade Runner. For the feel of the city alone.

RE: Ghost in the Shell 2017 - Char Aznable - 11-13-2016

I frankly don't see why this is necessary. Ghost in the shell was a perfect movie. It was a masterpiece, from its aesthetic, music and portrayal. The fact that they've shown us 'their version' of some of the most iconic scenes in the movie lead me to the assumption that they're trying to cash in on the nostalgia, while neither adding something new nor actually doing anything good for the franchise.

And no, this is not only because I think that Scarlett Johansson is the wrong cast for the Major, although I do still think that.

RE: Ghost in the Shell 2017 - Eurobeat - 11-13-2016

i will give this movie a chance to prove me wrong, but i doubt anything beats the original

although i do like the high quality cgi

RE: Ghost in the Shell 2017 - Demonic - 11-13-2016

(11-13-2016, 01:51 PM)mayu20 Wrote: ...its based on an awesome cartoon...

Anime. It's based on Anime. Geez. Learn the difference.

(11-13-2016, 02:05 PM)Char Aznable Wrote: I frankly don't see why this is necessary. Ghost in the shell was a perfect movie. It was a masterpiece, from its aesthetic, music and portrayal. The fact that they've shown us 'their version' of some of the most iconic scenes in the movie lead me to the assumption that they're trying to cash in on the nostalgia, while neither adding something new nor actually doing anything good for the franchise.

And no, this is not only because I think that Scarlett Johansson is the wrong cast for the Major, although I do still think that.

Movie? Man, Ghost in the Shell has a ton of movies and at least two series, one of which has two seasons.

RE: Ghost in the Shell 2017 - Char Aznable - 11-13-2016

(11-13-2016, 03:33 PM)Demonic Wrote: Movie? Man, Ghost in the Shell has a ton of movies and at least two series, one of which has two seasons.

What are you trying to say here? That I don't know the subject matter?
Ghost in the Shell has one movie. The original Anime called 'Ghost in the Shell'. Even if the Manga is older, this movie is generally what people refer to if they're talking about GitS. The other ones all are adaptations of the subject matter (only GitS 2 is a direct continuation of the first movie). This Hollywood movie is an adaptation of this movie, and just as much has every other adaptation been (Stand Alone Complex and its movie was just as much an adaptation as Arise was).
So no. There is one, and only one movie called Ghost in the Shell. There are adaptations and things that add to the franchise, and my criticism was going towards the fact that this movie is very unlikely to add anything new.

(11-13-2016, 03:33 PM)Demonic Wrote:
(11-13-2016, 01:51 PM)mayu20 Wrote: ...its based on an awesome cartoon...

Anime. It's based on Anime. Geez. Learn the difference.

Oh, and just so you're aware: This is pretty smug (not in a good way), and generally considered rude. Anime is nothing else than a cartoon drawn in a japanese artstyle. You could also say that what we call 'Cartoon' is an Anime with a particularly western influence.
Please do all of us a favor and cut down on the superiority complex.

RE: Ghost in the Shell 2017 - Benoit - 11-13-2016

A Ghost in the Shell without a Kenji Kawai making its soundtrack is like and elder scroll without Jeremy Soule: a waste of time.

RE: Ghost in the Shell 2017 - mayu20 - 11-13-2016

I know its an anime, like Cowboy Bebop and every good other cartoon out there, I just refuse to call it so because in the recent years, anime has been associated with strange and childish, not to mention the fan service, well, for the lack of other words, crap. So yeah, anime, cartoon, its the same bloody thing.