Discovery Gaming Community
Possible JD rework - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Possible JD rework (/showthread.php?tid=145635)

Possible JD rework - Epo - 11-24-2016

So... @Skorak has already made a thread about JD's being mountable on cruisers. It's a valid point, which would totally make sense in terms of RP, but it's not what the following thread is going to be about.

I'd like to discuss about a possible rework of JD mechanics. They're consuming some kind of fuel to work in present state of things. I'd like to change it to what follows: (since I'm too lazy to write a long wall of text, ima just put it simplier)

- Make JDs use a special commodity named "Jump Drive Fuel" or something that way.

- Make the mentioned commodity being buyable only at some stations around the whole Sirius for a certain price
( since jump drives aren't meant to be a common technology in terms of RP )

- By 'certain price' I mean a rather high one. 10 m for two jumps or even more

- The stations exporting JD Fuel should be intelligence and military along with some different spots in 'uncivilised' area, like omicrons, including some neutral or unlawful spots for such people

- The said commodity should be buyable to a maximum of 1000, using 500 each jump ( so one load would last for two jumps ) in case of regular jump drives or more in case of JD mk IV ( as this one is supposed to serve the whole fleets )

- JDs (not a fleet jumping one) should be mountable both on battleships, battlecruisers and cruisers (well I'd want also gunboats and snubs to be included in this list, but that has doubtful chance of going through* )

- * in case of snubcrafts, the price of fuel might be even higher to avoid random freelancers and pirates jumping everywhere **)

- ** or just making the snub jump drive to be accessible in a simplified SRP-process - requiring a certain amount of RP to be done with the certain character and ship

The text above is just some thoughts.

Please discuss.

RE: Possible JD rework - Kopesh - 11-24-2016

I second this

RE: Possible JD rework - Skorak - 11-24-2016

I don't know if that fuel rework is really necessary as cargo space limitations make more than one jump rather impossible anyways. I just don't see how it would improve the concept. Sure the inrp rarity can be brought up but pob commodities all make little sense anyways... look at just how many cloaks there are around and on ships so low tech they are painting on walls in caves.

RE: Possible JD rework - Epo - 11-24-2016

The fuel might be like the cloaking device batteries, so it would take no space. It would open JDs to a wider area of vessels, improving it's performance, but requiring some money input. This way jumping would be easier (two jumps per loading), but it would cost some money, also giving us a money sink.

To be honest, I'd like the Disco's range of vessels being capable of using JDs to be improved. I'd like it to be available even to snubs, like in BSG, Star Wars etc. Make it restricted, make it need some effort, including RP background or something else, but make it possible.
It's benefits wouldn't be that visible in house space, but it would be really epic in the omicrons, where are no tradelanes and the possibility to jump from point to point would be pleasing. What's more, it would still require taking coords on other ships to jump effectively, so even if smaller vessels were able to jump, would still need a hand in longer period of time.

The amount of people using JDs is also lower than ones with cloaking devices, so it wouldn't concern that big part of our community.

That's just some thoughts