Discovery Gaming Community
Zoner trader? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Zoner trader? (/showthread.php?tid=147253)

Zoner trader? - CaseyMarie - 01-21-2017

Hi everyone.

I'm quite new to this game and I'd quite like to set up a dedicated trading character. I have heard that Zoners make the best trading characters and reading the ID I think I can see why as if I am understanding it correctly you can pretty much go anywhere you want as long as your ship is small enough and I can imagine there is a lot of money to be made going between lawful and unlawful bases especially if you are willing to smuggle!

However I haven't been able to find any rules on a generic Zoner character outside of the restrictions on the ID. I don't know if I just haven't been able to find them yet or if the ID really is the only restriction so if you could point me in the right direction or answer a couple of questions for me I would appreciate it so much!

Firstly I'd quite like to have my character name be a ship name. Are there a certain set of rules or a theme that Zoners like to use for a ship name? Also as a Zoner do I have to have a tag at the start of my name like a lot of the other players do?

As I've rejected house rules does that mean my character wouldn't fly a ship like the Mammoth as its got a big liberty logo on it or would that be okay? I can't afford it yet but ultimately I'd like my character to fly BK-65 "Serenity"-class Transport. Would it be acceptable for a Zoner to fly that ship?

Would I be on neutral or hostile terms to official navy and police forces? Would I be allowed to use trade lanes and if I did would I be safe from most people (other than pirates).

Many thanks!

Casey x

RE: Zoner trader? - Arioch - 01-21-2017

Hey there - welcome!

I'll answer as best as i can.

1 - No rules or themes regarding Zoners and their shipnames. Typically (and this is not unique to just Zoners), players will have snubs be their character names, and transport/larger vessels given a ship name (As many will RP multiple characters on the ship/bridge. But, that is preference. More than welcome to use your character name for the shipname if that is your preference. Also, no tag is needed. Zoners don't really fallow the military designation that say House militaries use (For instance, LNS- for Liberty Navy Ships, though the tag is generally for Gunboat or higher).

2 - Just because Zoner lore is that we left House rules, doesn't mean the typical Zoner will go as far as refusing to utilize a ship built by a House corporation. So a Zoner flying a Mammoth isn't unheard of. Though, some RP may be warranted to "purchase" such, and keep in mind that pirates/unlawfuls may target you even more so, given you're flying a House Corp ship. Now, the Serenity is an ideal ship that would allow you to dock anywhere for the most part, but it is a generic/Civilian ship, thus not affiliated with a House.

3 - As a Zoner, you aren't rephacked hostile to any House/corporation. It really is up to you on how to rep your character, as you can be completely green with Navy and Police factions, if you spend the time to rep your character that way. As far as trade lanes, perfectly acceptable. Obviously though if you're red to said House, NPC weapon platforms and stations will shoot at you, but there is nothing preventing you from using tradelanes. Though if you are smuggling contraband in said house, it's is advised to avoid tradelanes so you don't run the risk of getting caught.

Hope that helps!

RE: Zoner trader? - CaseyMarie - 01-21-2017

Hiya

Thank you for such a fast and detailed reply! I really appreciate it Smile
I'll have a go at setting this character up now ^_^ have a great weekend!

RE: Zoner trader? - CaseyMarie - 01-21-2017

Oh just one additional question, I'm looking at the restarts now, whats the difference between a fcZonerBw and a fcZonerCo?

Many thanks!

RE: Zoner trader? - moebus - 01-21-2017

Hi,

these two restarts make you start your character in different places (I can't remember exactly where but one of them will make you start close to House space (probably the Bw one, "Border Worlds"*) while the other will probably make you start in the omicron region.

You mentioned in your first message that you are interested to roleplay a trader. I would not say zoners are the best traders. It is true zoners may go and dock everywhere but this come with a significant limitation if you fly a big ship (large cargo). In that situation you are not allowed to dock in House spaces (defined in 'server' rules). So you might be interested to look at the House corporations and large organization such as IMG and GMG.

More important, you should also think about a character concept. Was he born zoner or did he become one? In the later case, what was his motivation? Also, what is his opinion regarding the other factions (legal, quasi-legal, criminal). It will be appreciated that your character is more a virtual person than just a ship to make credits.

*edited

RE: Zoner trader? - Zyliath - 01-21-2017

(01-21-2017, 11:27 PM)moebus Wrote: these two restarts make you start your character in different places (I can't remember exactly where but one of them will make you start close to House space (probably the Bw one, "Border Worlds") while the other will probably make you start in the omicron region.
The /restart fcZonerco will set you in Baffin, on Shasta Orbital Skyhook, while the /restart fcZonerbw will set you in Omicron Theta, on Freeport 9.
Letting you know

~ Zyl

RE: Zoner trader? - moebus - 01-22-2017

damned, I was so wrong about the restarts!

RE: Zoner trader? - JohnyWalker - 01-22-2017

Hey Welcome to Sirius! hehe.

If you want to be a RolePlay tradder, I can suggest you to use Freelancer, its is limited to 3600 cargo, no bad!!! The great point here is Freelancer ID have no rephack with any other faction, so its up to you to fix your reputation with any faction you want so easy (bribes, missions, hunting NPCs)

I remember there are 2 Freelancer restarts, the one I use more often is "/restart FreelancerLi" in Liberty, Coronado system, BArrier Gate Station, in this base you can buy the Serenity Trasnport with 3600 cargo (also really interesting equipment there!)

Im not sure about the other one, i think it restart in Border Worlds... anyway check "/showrestarts", you can use one... if dont match with your needs, use another one, but remember to not earn a coin!!, the restart command is really limited about level and money amount.

Safe skies pilot!!. Contact me in Pennsylvania if you need anything! Im also Johnywalker there.

RE: Zoner trader? - CaseyMarie - 01-22-2017

Well I have been trading like crazy today and I finally made the money to purchase the Serinity so I'm ready to start using that character Smile

I don't intend to fly a 5k ship at least for a while I've had my eye on the Serinity for quite a while now as it seems really big but not so horrifically bulky that it struggles to dock and use the lanes also I think pirates tend to go a little easier on you compared to a 5ker. I really don't mind interacting with pirates but as I'm still quite new and have hardly any money 5/10 million demands could quickly bankrupt me...

I need to read up a little bit on the zoners as I don't really know all that much about them other than the idea that they want to live outside of house rules but not in a way where they are disliked...I think part of the problem is I've never played through the single player portion of freelancer and I really probably should at some point just to get a bit of a foundation of all these factions (assuming that the single player actually goes into that stuff).

I do very very much intend to roleplay a lot and I have a few ideas for characters but I currently have very little idea of just about everything including what the various corporations are and do, what the value of a credit actually is and a general idea of the geography and I think a trader is a good excuse to fly to lots of different places and to make a bit of capital in the process. I have been role playing as best I can with other players but I think with the steep learning curve that this game has its going to take a little while before I fully get my head around things!