Discovery Gaming Community
Docking Rings --> Atmospheric Entry Points - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Docking Rings --> Atmospheric Entry Points (/showthread.php?tid=147679)

Docking Rings --> Atmospheric Entry Points - Mr.Fabulous - 02-05-2017

Origins of thread: http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=147656&pid=1863915#pid1863915

So this was initially just a response... yet when I thought about it even more, apparently my mind was thinking out loud, "WHY HAVEN'T WE DONE THIS?!"

1. turn ALL Docking Rings into Atmospheric Entry Points (entering a docking ring instead takes you to a 'system' that's called "Planet X Atmosphere", similar to an AEP)
1.1 Docking Rings will still retain their faction status, so factions hostile to said planet can't go in, so you won't be able to make anything as lulzy as a Liberty Rogue Planetary Outpost existing within Planet Manhattan; exceptions are when it's within RP that the docking ring would be considered 'neutral', such as borderworld planets like Planet Curacao

2. taking an example from Barrier Gate Station, make the planet be divided into two bases: one for capitals and transports via mooring fixture, and the other via entering docking ring, then landing in the 'capital city's beacon', or CCB
2.1 The CCB will always be 10Km away from the Docking Ring Exit Point, for ease of navigation, and that it makes sense you'd put the CCB right close to the Docking Ring anyway

3. take away ALL contraband prices from mooring fixture bases or MFBs, and then put them all instead in docking ring bases or DRBs (this means you can't profit from hauling contraband in transports: you'll have to bring/hire the services of a freighter to deposit them for you)
3.1 the reason why is that being able to moor a SLOW transport filled with contraband and then offloading it (via frequent freighter trips to-and-fro the planet and back) without much of a problem would NOT make much sense....... unless you have an Illegal Trading Goods Permit, but even then:
- a connect and trade with a mooring fixture is such a high-profile event,
- you'd still be able to do the job iRP if you brought a freighter with you and hauled the goods that way
- the high profit margin for contraband is due to their illegality, so with this, sure you can dock in the mooring fixture and haul out the contraband, but that'd mostly be for RP purposes, since you won't be gaining money

4. make snubcraft-based equipment for fighters and freighters be only produced in Player Operated Planetary Outposts, or PoPO's, while Player Operated Bases, or PoB's, produce transport- and capital-ship-based equipment

What this will hopefully do:

1. make places where the focus are snubcraft, thereby giving them new use and therefore new life and purpose
1.1 GIVE FREIGHTERS SOMETHING TO ACTUALLY DO NOW, other than being transitional-ships

2. create scenarios where police factions can take their fighters out for a spin and interdict smugglers the right way, rather than the current scenario of LF vs Trans

3. allow factions such as the Junkers to shine out as mediators for pirate factions to smuggle their goods into a planet

RE: Docking Rings --> Atmospheric Entry Points - Corile - 02-05-2017

No because each atmosphere is a separate system and that's way too much work.

RE: Docking Rings --> Atmospheric Entry Points - Mr.Fabulous - 02-05-2017

(02-05-2017, 02:36 AM)Corile Wrote: No because each atmosphere is a separate system and that's way too much work.

I don't think it's THAT bad. All you're doing is
- creating a new empty space,
- give it a good skybox that fits the planet's theme,
- then add in at least two static objects: one for the CCB that's ALWAYS 10Km away, and the Docking Ring Exit Point.

That's kinda it. Then copy/paste process with the rest of the planets.

... Well, depending on places such as Planet New Paris, where it already has multiple docking rings, which could also be simplified with this process into one docking ring entry point, and then have multiple CCB's within "Planet New Paris Atmosphere"

RE: Docking Rings --> Atmospheric Entry Points - Jayce - 02-05-2017

(02-05-2017, 02:46 AM)Mr.Fabulous Wrote:
(02-05-2017, 02:36 AM)Corile Wrote: No because each atmosphere is a separate system and that's way too much work.

I don't think it's THAT bad. All you're doing is
- creating a new empty space,
- give it a good skybox that fits the planet's theme,
- then add in at least two static objects: one for the CCB that's ALWAYS 10Km away, and the Docking Ring Exit Point.

That's kinda it. Then copy/paste process with the rest of the planets.

... Well, depending on places such as Planet New Paris, where it already has multiple docking rings, which could also be simplified with this process into one docking ring entry point, and then have multiple CCB's within "Planet New Paris Atmosphere"

Feel free to get to work, then.

RE: Docking Rings --> Atmospheric Entry Points - Enkidu - 02-05-2017

This. The best way to get content to happen is to do it yourself. Start making some skyboxes!

RE: Docking Rings --> Atmospheric Entry Points - Xalrok - 02-05-2017

I would much rather see effort concentrated into the addition of a few atmospheric systems with actual content that can be interacted with, rather than spread thin by a ton of blank atmospheric systems whose only difference from a deleted system is having a base, a jump point and a special starsphere. One system with gas refineries, storage depots, clouds and weather effects > 10 Planet Tomiokas. Some of what you propose could also be done without these systems.

RE: Docking Rings --> Atmospheric Entry Points - R.I.P. - 02-05-2017

3. take away ALL contraband prices from mooring fixture bases or MFBs, and then put them all instead in docking ring bases or DRBs (this means you can't profit from hauling contraband in transports: you'll have to bring/hire the services of a freighter to deposit them for you)

No, just no. population is too low for that.

RE: Docking Rings --> Atmospheric Entry Points - Mr.Fabulous - 02-06-2017

(02-05-2017, 02:48 PM)Xalrok Wrote: a.) I would much rather see effort concentrated into the addition of a few atmospheric systems with actual content that can be interacted with... One system with gas refineries, storage depots, clouds and weather effects > 10 Planet Tomiokas.

b.) Some of what you propose could also be done without these systems.

a.) on one hand, I understand your viewpoint. Maybe this idea would've made more sense had we have, and are able to house, 1000+ people, and this idea at our current state would just fragment our small community even further.

On the other hand, there isn't anything stopping places like Planet New Paris from having this system, because it'd be too clunky to have multiple docking rings and mooring fixtures on a planet, and would also be a nightmare to select on NavMap (I'm talking about you, Shasta).

b.) And yes, you can separate the planet into two bases as mooring fixture and docking ring, without having to make an atmosphere-system. I'm down with that, and I'm still up for making all contraband only sell for profit in docking ring bases, so that freighters will have a purpose and can compete against transports.

And if you really wanna haul lotsa money with contraband with a transport, bring a--

(02-05-2017, 02:59 PM)R.I.P. Wrote:
Mr.Fabulous Wrote:... you'll have to bring/hire the services of a freighter to deposit them for you)

No, just no. population is too low for that.

You'd prefer to powertrade contraband in your single transport, rather than have a coordinated and cooperative effort with just ONE freighter? Much lone wolf. Very wow.

There has to be a higher and much better risk-reward system in place for hauling contraband.

IMO, a single freighter with AU8 hauling 500+ units worth of contraband ought to be competitive in terms of profit with at least a 4k transport, but have the risk that police are after you. And because it's a freighter, you're more susceptible against them.

Also, would add a bit of suspense factor to have transports need to use a freighter to tediously offload their 5k worth of contraband through a freighter, needing at best 8 trips total to offload them, increasing the window to be intercepted by police, but by the end would be just as profitable as mining ore.