Discovery Gaming Community
Question in regard to lore - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Question in regard to lore (/showthread.php?tid=147819)

Pages: 1 2

Question in regard to lore - Revoked - 02-09-2017

With loss of Leeds, Bretonia lost pretty much of the economy after Tau Wars and Gallic Invasion - with Newcastle and New London being unable to produce even quarter of efficiency Leeds offered. Technically speaking, the only thing Bretonia has is gold for exports - with no serious heavy economy behind it. That should have serious impact onto Liberty as well, which heavily depends on imports which were already refined into ready products by Bretonia. Liberty got rid of heavy industry years ago, according to the lore.

Bretonia was an industrial backbone for Liberty, as Liberty became a trade hub for all the houses - and the main market for Bretonia because of Leeds infrastructure, as far as I understand, no other house ever had.

So here goes my question:
Is the fact that both economies should get hit by loss of Leeds simply ignored within story arc?

RE: Question in regard to lore - Croft - 02-09-2017

I think there is a mention of the industrial impact in some of the news pieces but beyond that there isn't any method of showing it. Anything else is up to the players themselves to act out.

RE: Question in regard to lore - Laura C. - 02-09-2017

Like Croft said, it is kind of complicated to represent this ingame. Bretonia is suffering enough so any further negative consequencies would likely have to mean its collapse what is not planned. Also I think that some industrial capacities were moved from Leeds (to Manchester mainly I think) because it was not conquered overnight.

And if Liberty could somehow survive waging two full scale wars with Rheinland and Gallia while facing Kusari fuel embargo on top of that at the same time without single negative consequence, I doubt something less serious like this will bring negative consequences to it. Though to be fair a little, now when war with Rheinland is over, they can buy heavy industry products from there so loss of Bretonia production does not hurt them that much anymore.

RE: Question in regard to lore - Revoked - 02-09-2017

In a private chat, I expressed my opinion what Bretonia should do was to submit to Gallia and swap alliances. This way, the activity wouldn't collapse (BAF would simply go against Liberty Navy) but it would put Bretonian corporates into making heavy decisions in regard to affiliation - with certain parts of BAF co-joining Allied Forces (LN-CR-Council).

This however would put Rheinland into a very indecisive position, because such a sudden affiliation shift would put them into questioning "what may happen now"?

Rheinland is weakened by war with Liberty and their own internal issues. In theory, they are somewhat allied with Kusari, but then Gallic-backed Bretonia would be on their other end - and Omegas are rich in various resources. As far as they are on good terms with Kusari - which had their fleet rebuilt already to reasonable size - I would be pretty careful if I had two Gallic-backed houses right at my borders.

Who would guarantee me that Kusari won't push their forces from the north (remember that GMG doesn't really like Rheinland, especially Kruger) and at the same time BAF-GRN wouldn't try to sack Omegas? Omegas are way away from Libertonian reach (only via Rheinland), and Gallia NEEDS resources as they exploited pretty much everything at their own turf.

RE: Question in regard to lore - Laura C. - 02-09-2017

That´s very hypothetical scenario which can be questioned from several points of view. It was also stated somewhere that Gallia can not go any further because their forces are stretched too much already and inRP they still have a thorn in a side named Council so if they will concentrate too much forces on Bretonia/Liberty campaign, they can face serious troubles on home turf.

Not to mention that Bretonia submitting to Gallia would not work. Look how it did not work for Kusari at all, it was never roleplayed as vassal like state because local players were not interested to do so. I doubt it would work for Bretonia. Also inRP the house would likely collapse and civil war would broke out because there would be split between loyalists (supported by Liberty) and turncoats (supported by Gallia). And that is another scenario which previously did not work as activity source in Kusari as well.

RE: Question in regard to lore - Thunderer - 02-09-2017

Leeds indeed was the workhouse of Sirius, and New London truly is less rich with resources, but that doesn't mean it has none. It is merely more expensive to extract them and they will be depleted quicker, plus a significant part of Leeds' infrastructure was moved to Planet NL. Bretonia is also importing a lot from Rheinland, which is why the Omega connection is very important. It is not Bretonian industry that is hit heavily, but rather its exchequer. Whether its gold reserves will last long enough, I don't know. I think it could potentially be interesting if Bretonia switched sides, but experience with Kusari teaches me that it might not be the best option.

RE: Question in regard to lore - Revoked - 02-10-2017

Quote:Whether its gold reserves will last long enough, I don't know. I think it could potentially be interesting if Bretonia switched sides, but experience with Kusari teaches me that it might not be the best option.

That's because Kusari was not forced to fight Liberty or Rheinland as they lost entire fleet (which in 824 A.S. should be rebuilt with help of Rheinland) and had hub-like role between Taus and Rheinland. Bretonia? It's on the verge of Sirius and can be easily flew around via Baffin-Coronado corridor.

Given such a situation, explained by lore of Bretonians tired of constant fear of death, changing sides would be very good because it wouldn't be the internal civil war only - as Kusari suffers from lack of intervention from outside.

But that's just my own opinion.

RE: Question in regard to lore - Shizune - 02-10-2017

(02-10-2017, 12:12 AM)Revoked Wrote:
Quote:Whether its gold reserves will last long enough, I don't know. I think it could potentially be interesting if Bretonia switched sides, but experience with Kusari teaches me that it might not be the best option.

That's because Kusari was not forced to fight Liberty or Rheinland as they lost entire fleet (which in 824 A.S. should be rebuilt with help of Rheinland) and had hub-like role between Taus and Rheinland. Bretonia? It's on the verge of Sirius and can be easily flew around via Baffin-Coronado corridor.

Given such a situation, explained by lore of Bretonians tired of constant fear of death, changing sides would be very good because it wouldn't be the internal civil war only - as Kusari suffers from lack of intervention from outside.

But that's just my own opinion.

Kusari is also in the middle of a civil war in which the Imperials, Republic and Shogunate are all battling for control, so dispite them having 'rebuilt' their still in the center of their own problems and really can't focus else where, if you have yet to notice the Exiles invading Kyushu and the Blood Dragons pushing into Nagano, so really Kusari can't do much in regards of helping.

RE: Question in regard to lore - Revoked - 02-10-2017

What if I find laughable in Kusari Civil War is the fact that KNF now (824) has full fleet capacity, while Exiles had no place to tend their ships. About Dragons, I'm really unsure in here as they have ties to GMG and I'm pretty sure it means infinite funds at that stage.

But initially I put out Kusari as example of the house that suffers due to no external intervention. Bretonia wouldn't be such a case, because of on-going Liberty Navy inclusion already.

RE: Question in regard to lore - Shizune - 02-10-2017

(02-10-2017, 12:24 AM)Revoked Wrote: What if I find laughable in Kusari Civil War is the fact that KNF has full fleet capacity, while Exiles had no place to tend their ships. About Dragons, I'm really unsure in here as they have ties to GMG and I'm pretty sure it means infinite funds at that stage.

But initially I put out Kusari as example of the house that suffers due to no external intervention. Bretonia wouldn't be such a case, because of on-going Liberty Navy inclusion already.

You need to look around for the lore stuff then, but as it stands Kusari (its leaders) have no interest in involving external factions into the civil war to stop it as there are already plans in motion to push the story for the war along soon enough.