Discovery Gaming Community
A Gateway to Hope - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: A Gateway to Hope (/showthread.php?tid=148500)

Pages: 1 2

A Gateway to Hope - Etaphreven - 03-06-2017

Part I: The Message

[Image: ITF9BjD.jpg]
Captain Haynes was in his quarters, spending the time between point A and point B the way he knows best - sleeping, plotting and worrying about when they'll get the next job, with a half empty bottle of whiskey next to his bed. Point B in this case was Freeport 11, where the crew of the Equanimity was supposed to drop off the Pharmaceuticals they picked up on Denver. Suddenly, a beeping noise disturbs him from his usual routine. He sighs and gets out of bed to push the big, red talk button on the comms by the door.

Malcolm: "What is it now?"
Jim: "Captain, we're almost out of water on the ship."
Malcolm: "Jim. Did you call just to tell me something I already know?"
Jim: "Oh. Ugh, no, captain. We're approaching Freeport 11."
Malcolm: "Great. Anything else?"
Jim: "Actually, yes. We received a transmission from a certain Nick Stenn. All the way from New York, heh. We got another job offer. Sort of. He knows a bit about us, he's asking to set up a meet. Anyway, I'll forward it to your room."
Malcolm: "Don't bother, I'll be on the bridge in two."

Said and done, the captain was on the bridge a couple of minutes later.

Malcolm: "Where's everyone else?"
Jim: "They already listened to the transmission."
Malcolm: "Of course they did. Remind me again why I hired you all?"
Jim: "Cheap is our middle name, sir. Also, our profits would halve without Mina onboard."
Malcolm: "Ah, yes. Damn. Guess nobody's getting fired today."
Jim: "No, sir. Maybe tomorrow."
Malcolm: "A man can hope."
Jim: "Back to reality, sir. Listen to the transmission."

Jim plays the transmission for the captain.

Jim: "So? Are we doing it?"
Malcolm: "Let's answer him, first."

Jim records the captain's reply and sends it back to Nick Stenn.

Malcolm: "Now that that's out of the way, let's finish our current job. I want everyone in the cargo hold in ten minutes, ready to unload. And tell Jacob not to bring his entire friggin' armory this time, it's a Freeport. The payment's already been wired, all's we gotta do is get the crates out."
Jim: "You know he won't listen."
Malcolm: "Right. Tell him not to bring any machine guns, heavy assault rifles and other assorted anti-tank weaponry, then?"
Jim: "I'll try, captain. No promises."

The Equanimity receives confirmation for the meeting. They proceed to dock and unload the cargo on Freeport 11.

Part II: Arrival

[Image: 1o18PyJ.jpg]
After a long journey from Omicron Delta to Coronado, the Equanimity is finally approaching Barrier Gate Station. The entire crew is on the bridge. Yes, all four of them.

Mina: "Well, here we are, Mal. It's been a while since I last saw this place."
Malcolm: "Let's hope we don't have to spend more time here than we need to."
Jacob: "Aw, and here I was, thinking I could buy me a couple new shotguns for my collection."
Malcolm: "A couple? Last time you went shopping, you came back with a dozen handguns."
Jim: "Not to mention we had to return all of them because you, and I quote, forgot to pay for them."
Jacob: "But that's what happened! Tell them, Mina, you were with me."
Mina: "Oh, you're on your own on this one, buddy."
Malcolm: "Alright, alright. Quiet down, people. Jim, take us in. Also, you're staying on the ship. The rest of us will grab the shuttle and head to the station. We'll radio in if anything goes wrong, so be ready to take off at a moment's notice. Bring some guns, Jacob. We might need them. And help Mina prep the shuttle for departure."

Mina heads to the shuttle while Jacob grabs his favorite handgun. The captain arrives moments later, ready to share the action plan with them.

Part III: The Plan

[Image: 7m2Z36M.jpg]
The shuttle takes off, leaving the Equanimity behind. Mina is piloting, while Jacob and the captain discuss.

Malcolm: "Jacob, you'll be my wingman on this one. We're not expecting trouble, but let's be prepared for it."
Jacob: "The usual, then?"
Malcolm: "Just don't start waving your gun around before it's needed. Maybe we can finally get a job without being involved in a bar fight first."
Jacob: "Aye, aye, captain! Been a while since our last bar fight, though... Just saying."
Malcolm: "Jacob."
Jacob: "Fine."
Mina: "Be safe, boys. I have some business of my own to attend to while we're here. Call me when you need me to rescue your asses after you inevitably mess something up again."
Malcolm: "Haha. Heh. Very funny. Less talking and more flying, if you don't mind? We've got a date to get to."
Mina: "Always a romantic, Mal."
Malcolm: "Shut up. Listen up, Jacob. On the station, you don't know me and I don't know you. Just go grab a drink at the bar while I wait for my date. Don't do anything stupid until I tell you. If I tell you."
Jacob: "But captain, I was already planning on smashing the bartender's head with a beer bottle."
Malcolm: "I should've just hired a couple of comedians.", the captain sighs. "Let's go."

Mina lands the shuttle and the guys head for the bar.

Part IV: Meet & Greet

[Image: g7WGRPr.jpg]
The guys enter the bar, acting as complete strangers to one another. Mina is somewhere around the station, taking care of personal matters unknown to the rest of the crew.

Malcolm: "Whiskey. Ice."
Bartender: "Ah, welcome back.", the bartender recognizes him. "Try to leave the place in one piece this time, will you? And here you are."

Malcolm: "Oh come on, not you too. I've got a, ugh, date. The business type. Is my usual table free?"
Bartender: "Yes it is. Enjoy your drink, Mal."

Jacob grabs a drink as well, and starts chatting up a pretty woman sitting next to him at the bar. Malcolm takes a seat at his table and starts scanning the room for possible danger, but also his "date".

RE: A Gateway to Hope - The Sovereign - 03-07-2017

Barrier Gate Station, Coronado, Independent Worlds.

Enjoying a perfectly chilled drink, Nick allows his eyes to sweep over the room once more, hidden in the crowd. He'd seen Malcolm in action a few times, even though he had worked to make sure he wasn't spotted, and the girls had given him even more information about the potential recruit. Nick shifts slightly in his seat, wondering if his hunch that Malcolm will arrive early to gain the upper-hand will pay off. He hoped so, otherwise he would be sitting in the bar for several more hours than he had already been. Going over the plan again, Nick feels a moment of worry for his companions, who will be the ones in the spotlight initially, dismissing it as he reassures himself that both of them are every bit as prepared and dangerous as he is.

Even as Nick contemplates contacting Sarah for a sit-rep, his comm buzzes briefly, and text scrolls onto the display. "Target has arrived, coming in by shuttle." Smiling Nick toasts himself quietly as his hunch is confirmed, and watching the entry to the bar, almost laughs as he sees two men enter, walking as if they refuse to acknowledge each others existence, the carefully concocted ruse they had come up with foiled by their lack of suspicion towards each other. Even here, on Barrier Gate, a man couldn't afford to let his guard down, especially not the way the man on the left seemed to be ignoring the man on his right, who was attempting to hide an impressive amount of weaponry. If the amount of weapons the second man was carrying was any indication, Malcolm was the man heading to a table, and his bodyguard was supposed to be his trump card, standing near the bar.

Hiding his smile, Nick fires off a message to Elena and Sarah, telling both of them the information that they need to know, as well as to carry out the next steps of the plan. Patting his side to ensure his own pistol is still there, Nick watches as the armed man attempts to chat up a blonde, and as Malcolm takes a seat at a private table. The anticipation of Elena's momentary arrival crawled up along his skin as his heart began to pick up speed. Whatever happened next, would definitely be interesting.

RE: A Gateway to Hope - Byron - 03-07-2017

With a small smile on her face, Elena entered the “Slimy Seagull”, trying to look as friendly as she could. Before Nick had hit her up over the small headphone she had put in her ear, she had stood outside the bar, nervously looking around and tapping with her feet. Looking into her small back handbag she carried with her again, hoping the pistol was still there. Nick had told her it would might become necessary. Shooting around in her outfit wasn’t what she was planning, though.

Right now, she could have literally punched everyone in this room in the face, not liking the situation at all. Nick’s plan sounded awesome at first, but now, she kind of disliked it, not really knowing how it would end. In fact, she felt more than uncomfortable, as her feet also began to hurt far too much from the stilettos she had decided to wear. And the backless dress she had bought, even though it might wasn’t looking bad, wasn’t making it any better. Actually, it was scratchy as hell – she could already feel a severe rash coming in a few days. So why did she even wear that crap? Simple. She had been told some distraction for Haynes was needed for their plan. So here she was, ready to distract.

After Elena had scanned the bar quickly, she finally thought she had recognized the person she was actually looking for, sitting at an empty table and probably already waiting for someone’s company. ‘So this is Haynes, huh’, she thought. ‘Doesn’t look bad.’ Holding a bunch of blue roses in her hands for her guest, she slowly made her way to his seat, consciously avoiding tripping over her feet. In the distance, she could recognize Nick sitting at another table, having a look at her. She greeted him with a tiny nod. As she went through the bar, she was ignoring some of the pesky – and probably drunk - weirdos in the bar who instantly tried to make body contact or to get into some chat with her.
“Hey maid, come over here”, said one.
“Got a nice dress. Are you also avail without?”, asked another.
“Don’t be so shy, wanna play with ya!”, cried a third.
“Sweetheart, go play with yourself”, was the only thing she briefly answered.

Her sight was locked at Haynes, though, as she tried to establish eye contact while tottering over to him. It took quite a long while until he finally recognized Elena, after he had taken a sip from his glass of Whisky. She wasn’t really sure what his eyes would tell her, whether he liked what he saw or not. Personally, she didn’t like it for sure what he saw, feeling factitious and all tarted up. But that didn’t matter anymore now, she thought.

Still giving him a nice smile – after all, her guest should feel comfortable -, she sat down on the opposite side of the table, crossing her legs. “It’s a pleasure to meet you in person, Haynes”, she said, trying to switch to a rather sweet voice. She giggled. “Nick told me you like blue roses, so I thought I’d make your wish come true.” She handed over the roses to him, before running her fingers through her dyed hair slightly.

Then she went on. “I hope you had a good time since we’ve met last.” She smirked at him again mischievously. “And that you had good rest. Business with the Forlorn Hope is known to be quite … exciting, you know.” Ordering a glass of Ale, she leaned back, still looking deeply into his eyes.

RE: A Gateway to Hope - KamiFaby - 03-07-2017

Equanimity, Coronado, Independent Worlds.

Sarah's ship was already moored to the Equanimity and remained cloaked. Leaving the cockpit in a spacesuit, Sarah made her way to the shuttle bay and waited for it to open. As the door opened she tried to move as little as possible until the shuttle left the bay. She saw her chance and slipped unnoticed into the ship. Inside the ship she quickly looked around and searched for an exit.

After she got out of the the spacesuit and holstered her gun, hoping she wouldn't need it, Sarah walked towards the exit of the shuttle bay. While walking she quickly grabbed a Data-Pad and sent Nick a message, that they have left the ship and are on their way to Barrier Gate. Walking through the corridors searching for the bridge, she already prepared a few sentences.

After a short time she stood in front of the bridge and drew her gun. "You can do this Sarah. Just take a deep breath and relax. Nick and Elena count on you." After her short motivational speech, she opened the door.

"Okay, hands away from the console! It's nothing personal, we just need you to send a comm." Sarah shouted and smiled carefully. "Now, get next to me pal. The message I want you to send goes directly to your boss Malcolm. Tell him that the 'Forlorn Hope captured the ship'. But first, let's wait for a bit until I get the word." Sarah smiled again.

While walking to the console Sarah smirked and started talking again. "You know, you should see your face, it's hilarious. Don't get me wrong, we just want to prove something, I'm not going to shoot you."
"Oh and by the way, I'm Sarah. Mind telling me your name? I gotta know the name of the guy I'm pointing my gun at."
Sarah stated laughing but didn't let her guard down.

RE: A Gateway to Hope - Etaphreven - 03-08-2017

Aboard the Equanimity

Waiting for the crew to return from job, almost falling asleep in the pilot chair, Jim is startled by a young lady pointing a gun at him. He listens to her demands and does as she says with a dumbfounded look on his face.

Jim: "Oh, hahaha, ha. Haha. What are we laughing at?!", he laughs in response. "Listen lady, you scared the s**t out of me!", he almost shouts, his face turning to a shade of grumpy instead. "Don't know you better than to sneak up like that on someone who's taking a nap? What if I had heart problems?! I think you just gave me heart problems right now. This is not funny at all", he mumbles to himself. "Just gimme a second, gotta catch my breath."

Jim tries to relax a little before continuing; as much as one can relax after waking up with a gun to the face, in any case. The lady, who introduced herself as Sarah, is still smiling at him.

Jim: "Whew. Okay. Name's Jim. I'd love to say it's a pleasure meeting you Sarah, but, you know, THERE IS A FREAKING GUN IN MY FACE.", he shouts, before clearing his throat. "Speaking of which, put the god damn gun down, will you? You're so busy pointing it at me that you failed to notice the door closed behind you after you entered. You ain't going nowhere unless I unlock it. You think we don't have safeguards in place? I mean, come on, how stupid do you think we are?", he asks, pausing for a second to think about the words that just came out of his mouth. "Actually, don't answer that. But put the gun down, really; unless you're planning to shoot me, in which case you'll be spending a lot of time locked on the bridge with a dead body. And that would be really awkward for everybody. Seriously, I've been complaining about a raise to the captain for ages now, it would be easier to just pay me off. So let's start over, shall we? There's tea somewhere around here."

A Slimy Situation

Malcolm is pleasantly surprised to see a more familiar figure take a seat at the table instead of Nick.

[Image: SLMPqQK.gif]

Malcolm: "Oh. The flowers.", he laughs. "You actually brought them. Can't wait to tell my crew about that, they're going to laugh their asses off. We had a bit of a bet going on, some didn't think you'd do it. Anyway, they're for you," he says, before handing them over back to Elena. "Did you know that in ancient times, back on Earth, this day, today, was actually celebrated as Women's Day? Glad you showed up instead of Nick, would've been really weird saying that to him. Unless Nick is just a codename, and you're actually him. Her. It. You know what I mean. Then it's still weird."

Strange thoughts cross Mal's mind as he thinks of Nick as a she instead of a he, before being quickly dismissed.

Malcolm: "Huh", he says, recovering from his daydreams. "Right, where were we? Ah, yes. Manners. Pleased to meet you as well. You look stunning - no kidding about the exciting business part, heh. Wait, did that come out wrong? Never mind. So, shall we talk business? Or are we still waiting for someone? Either way, it must be a really interesting job if he sent you, all dressed up and pretty like this. Surely he's not trying something with that, is he? I mean he must know I'm not just your run-of-the-mill cargo misplacer; I served in the Navy for quite some time. I learned to never trust a pretty lady with good intentions. No offense though - I really am hoping this is your general mercenary outfit, that would be cool as hell!", he says passionately.

The captain's eyes connect with Elena's, as he waits for her reply.

RE: A Gateway to Hope - Byron - 03-09-2017

As Haynes handed the flowers back to her, Elena said: “Oh, I see. You’re a gentleman. Well, thanks.” She could already feel becoming less pissed than before. Haynes for sure was good company, one you could relax with for hours, and she even began to slightly forget what her actual task was. ‘This guy is distracted enough when I just talk to him’, she thought. ‘No need to do this flirt thing Nick suggested’.

After taking a sip from her Ale, she went on. “And, don’t worry. Nick’s a guy. Maybe bit too much of a guy, if you ask me. Anyways, I think we can begin with the business talks, Nick’s somewhere trying to pouch someone I guess.” She made a little pause, beginning to look pissed again. “Yep, it was his idea, me approaching you … well, that way. Thought you could need some distraction, if you know what I mean. Don’t ask questions about it though, just simply don’t. No need to, right?” She smirked at him, rather amused. “Believe me, it’s uncomfortable as hell, even though it might doesn't look bad. Be happy you’re not a woman and gotta wear stuff like that. As soon as this – whatever it is – is over, bet what I gonna do. Go and grab my jeans and T-shirt again.” She laughed.

RE: A Gateway to Hope - KamiFaby - 03-09-2017

"Alrighty. I like it that way." While Sarah was laughing she lowered her gun and eventually holstered it.
"So Jim, money you say? Well, we got plenty of money somewhere. I just have to push a few buttons on my data pad and you might find a higher number on your account. Though I'm only sending you money if you promise to comply" Sarah chuckles and starts smirking.
"You know I'm glad you decided to talk. I'd really hate to fight a partner, if you know what I mean." Still smirking Sarah walked towards Jim.
"Oh and 'bout that drink. Are you kidding me, Tea? Got a glass of whisky around? I haven't had one in a long time. I suggest we get something to drink and talk"

"So, let's get to business. You want money? I got money. I need you to send a comm to your captain. It's pretty simple. Just tell them that the Forlorn Hope got the ship. And on top of that you'll get five hundred thousand credits. And another two hundred if you open the door again." Sarah smiled confidently.
I got him and hell, who cares about that money anyways.

"Sounds like easy money right? I might even raise it if you accept without complaining. But let's have a drink first, shall we?"
"Before I forget, if you are interested in the Forlorn Hope, I can arrange something. Though only if you accept to help a girl out." Sarah leans back and smirks while she waited for an answer.

RE: A Gateway to Hope - The Sovereign - 03-10-2017

Seeing both Elena and Malcolm relax, Nick begins to move, standing with a stretch as he approaches the table. Gliding in between a couple of merry makers, Nick arrives at the table, and smiles at both of its inhabitants. "Elena, you look lovely." Nick says before turning to Malcolm. "Captain Haynes, a pleasure to meet you. Apologies for my lateness, I got delayed dealing with the Crayterians. I'm here now however." He says as he offers his hand to Malcolm. "I believe we can get right down to business, unless you want to call your friend at the bar over to even out the numbers? Barring that, we can get started when you are ready" Nick smiles as he pulls up a chair and sits, waiting for Malcolms reaction. He already knew Elena would give him grief about the dress later, but he was ready for that. It's never a bad idea to be cautious. Waving a nearby waitress over, Nick takes a moment to scan the room, still on guard.

RE: A Gateway to Hope - Etaphreven - 03-10-2017

Aboard the Equanimity II

Jim: "Great. See? We can get along without violence," he smiles back. "So just send a transmission and the credits are mine, huh. Hard to say no to that. Sure, I'll do it. Go ahead and push the buttons that need pushing."

Jim looks around confused as something seems to nudge the ship slightly. He shrugs it off as he turns his eyes back on Sarah.

Jim: "And yes, we do have whiskey. It's in the galley though. We'll have to go there after I send your precious message, and you can tell me all about your other offer. You should know I don't normally drink while I'm on duty, though. But enough of that, do you mind?", he asks, as he moves to pick the radio up.

Fortunately, the pilot is not met with disapproval from Sarah, so he continues with his end of the deal.

Jim: "You there, captain? There's a lady here; she said to tell you that the Forlorn Hope have our ship. I offered her tea." He puts the radio back down and smiles at Sarah. "Done. You happy now, partner?"

(continued in pt. III)

A Slimy Situation II

Back at the bar, Malcolm is still talking to Elena. Nick arrives just in time to join in.

Malcolm: "Gentleman? Hah!", he chuckles. "I think you have me confused with someone else. Anyway, don't worry about it, I enjoyed being distracted like this. Gotta say though, my mind is going to have a tough time imagining you in anything but this dress. Or as the intelligent denizens of this bar surely suggested to you - without it."

The captain notices someone coming straight towards their table, correctly assuming this was the Nick person he was supposed to meet. He stands up, shaking Nick's hand firmly, before taking a seat again.

Malcolm: "I'm all about evening the numbers. I nearly forgot about that. Jacob!", he shouts, but gets ignored. Malcolm sighs and clears his throat, "Just a second guys." He touches his earpiece and whispers awkwardly, "The rooster is in the hen house", while trying to avoid eye contact with his new friends. "Just get your ass here, Jacob. They know."

Another transmission comes in immediately after, interrupting them.

Jim: "You there, captain? There's a lady here; she said to tell you that the Forlorn Hope have our ship. I offered her tea."

Malcolm: "Huh. That's interresting, don't you think, Nick? Seems I have no choice but to talk business now. Let's not waste anymore time, shall we? What's this job you need my crew for?"

Meanwhile, Jacob is still at the bar. He turns around for a second from the woman he was talking to use his earpiece.

Jacob: "You got that too, Mina?", he whispers.
Mina: "I did. Jim sent it to all of us; smart thinking. I'm already back on the Equanimity, I'll check it out. Hope they didn't hear me coming."
Jacob: "Good. Captain called for me just now. Gotta go show these folks my guns."

Jacob excuses himself, and heads to the table. He takes two handguns out of his coat and places them on the table before taking a seat as well and barging in on the conversation.

Jacob: "You didn't mention it was a double date, Mal. Would've come 'ere sooner. Oh, and I pick the girl. Anyway, it's very nice to meet you guys!", he says, caressing one of the handguns on the table. "This one's my favorite, it's custom made, you know." He picks it up, resting his feet on the table instead. "It's shiny, do you like it?"

Malcolm: "Guys, meet Jacob. He likes guns as you can see. Let's not allow that to distract us, though. I'm very curious about your offer."

Aboard the Equanimity III

Jim and Sarah are still on the bridge. They prepare to leave for the galley.

Jim: "Well, you better be", he says, opening the bridge door. "Well? What are you waiting for? Let's get you some whiskey and me some mo-"

Mina pops up from behind the door as it opens up, holding one of Jacob's rifles and interrupting their conversation.

Mina: "Hey Jim."
Jim: "Oh. Hi Mina."
Mina: "Who's this?"
Jim: "My new friend Sarah. Was gonna get her some whiskey; she doesn't like tea. Didn't expect to see you back so soon."
Mina: "I see. Nice to meet you, Sarah. Well, don't let me stop you", she smiles roguishly, letting them pass, her rifle constantly pointed at Sarah.

All three of them head to the galley.

Mina: "Great. Now let's all sit down and wait for our captains to be done with their talk. Enough with these stupid ego measuring contests. It's obvious you need someone like us and we sure as hell could use the money from a job." She lowers her rifle and then proceeds to prop it against the wall. "Whiskey, you said? Jim and I will be having tea. Oh, and ice? That's how Mal enjoys his whiskey."

Mina takes a few steps away from the table to prepare drinks for everyone.

Mina: "By the way, feel free to contact your friends if you want, Sarah!"

RE: A Gateway to Hope - KamiFaby - 03-11-2017

"Erm, yeah good idea." Sarah pulls out her data pad and sends a message to Nick and Elena.
They somehow seem to knew what we were planing. There's another women on the ship. I hope it goes well on your end.
"So, yeah, Mina, right? How did you know I'm on the ship? Oh wait let me guess, I wasn't careful enough and your captain sent you to look if every thing's alright after he got that transmission, right? Huh, I suppose I kinda failed." Grabbing the glass of whisky, she started laughing.

"Well, I think there's no point in hiding,"
A quiet sigh can be heard. " We were trying to show that we mean serious business. But hey, you guys are not stupid. You clearly evened the odds. I seriously think we can work together."

Sarah pulls out her gun and places it on the table. "Guess I won't need that lil' thing. I just hope you don't take it personally that I broke into your ship. It was one of Nick's glorious ideas. Well, seems he underestimated you guys." Sarah laughs again and puts the gun aside.

"So are you still interested in my other offer? Oh maybe you might be interested as well Mina. I offered Jimmy over there to have a chance to join the Forlorn Hope. If any of you guys are interested, just give me the word and I'll arrange something. I can also tell you a bit about the Forlorn Hope if you want." Smiling at the other two people, Sarah took another sip from the whisky.

"Oh and Jim, even though the message wasn't planned to sound that way, I've sent you the money."