Discovery Gaming Community
Revert Forum Playerlist Changes - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Revert Forum Playerlist Changes (/showthread.php?tid=148645)

Pages: 1 2

Revert Forum Playerlist Changes - Goldberg - 03-12-2017

The new playerlist got implemented to prevent "shadowlogging" and metagaming, the problem is, that is negatively affect players who were using the playerlist normally (To find activity and RP encounters)
If a player wants to grief another player, he can even do it without the playerlist, since he only needs to know if the guy is online.

Players who want to have interactions would use the old playerlist to find RP encounters, right now the playerlist only tells you in which region maybe one player is, but the Omicrons are really big, not only like 2-3 systems. The old playerlist gave you more activity, since people saw who is online and where he exactly is, so he can log a char and direclty head to him, and have an encounter.

Lyth explained it really good, so I just gonna use his quotes.
Quote:[04/03/2017 15:08:12] Luc E-W: and this current playerlist is just the coup de grace
[04/03/2017 15:08:37] Luc E-W: the region itself already doesn't support activity generation outside of people yelling on skype chats that there's stuff to shoot in x system
[04/03/2017 15:08:42] Luc E-W: but now people don't even know where that stuff is
[04/03/2017 15:08:49] Luc E-W: and so gradually people have just been logging less and less
[04/03/2017 15:09:10] Luc E-W: no one is going to go through the effort to open up disco just to see where stuff is
[04/03/2017 15:09:23] Luc E-W: and faction leaders can't pull stuff from the forum playerlist to let their members know there's stuff to shoot
[04/03/2017 15:09:29] Luc E-W: i mean look at this
[04/03/2017 15:09:57 | Edited 15:09:40] Luc E-W: visser[S] Border Worlds 188 0 0 6 minutes, 53 seconds

this person could be in any of the following:
Sigmas
Omegas
Taus
Border Systems
[04/03/2017 15:10:14] Luc E-W: and each of those regions are huge
[04/03/2017 15:10:32] Luc E-W: and although our zoi covers one of those regions, we don't actually even know if the guy is in our zoi in the first place
[04/03/2017 15:11:11] Luc E-W: =/\=Warchief Edge Worlds 94 0 0 12 minutes, 58 seconds

this person could be in any of the following
one of the Sigmas
Omegas
Omicrons
Tau-37
Gallic Edge Worlds

The current playerlists actually harms the efforts of factions that aren't based in the houses, and it's also really bad, that we can't see the systems... for example, if you add more Omicron systems, it will take even longer to find interactions...
As the new Core leader who is obviously working in the Omicrons, I need to say, that I don't like this change, so can we please revert it.

(A few people think, that the current playerlist is probably one of the reason, why the activity and population is so low)

RE: Revert Forum Playerlist Changes - nOmnomnOm - 03-12-2017

Voted with my official account by mistake, but I voted yes.
Revert, please!

RE: Revert Forum Playerlist Changes - Jack_Henderson - 03-12-2017

I am torn somewhere, but voted "no" after discussing it a bit.

Why?

I think the lack of "exact system" on the forum player list is somehow making it harder to find interaction. Especially for the places that the OP has described.

However, it is not bad to just be logged into the game more often. I actually am on the game (even though not doing much) more often now just to have a better overview. For example I see "Liberty, 25 ships", so I would log the first ship I find and check the player list for what is going on.

To be honest, I expected the change to have much worse consequences. That's also a reason why I voted "no" in the end because the good consequence of this is that it becomes harder to "shadowlog" and to target people effectively. If Disco was a better place in terms of community, I would have definitely voted differently.

RE: Revert Forum Playerlist Changes - nOmnomnOm - 03-12-2017

Jack, all you need to do is log in and the shadowlog issue is the same.
The only thing that this change did is make someone log in if they are more curious about the vagueness of the results on forums.
I really doesnt change anything in the end, but it makes it just an unnecessary change that is more annoying.

I much preferred the lag time for the tracker. The shadowlog issue was fixed for that since it was delayed by X amount of time.

RE: Revert Forum Playerlist Changes - Haste - 03-12-2017

All that's changed is that I now log in some random Sabre in Conn once in a blue moon to check if there's anything remotely interesting happening. It's annoying, and I usually don't bother and just play a different game instead.

I'm not even as bothered by having to log in as I am bothered by the in-game player list just being infinitely less user-friendly to scroll through (as it displays only a few players at a time). The forum player list, when sorted on systems, allowed you to quickly glance over it and see if there was a (potential) major activity spike somewhere. The current version doesn't. Seeing twenty ships in "Liberty" or "Border Worlds" doesn't even indicate anything. Could be assorted traders all over the place.

I obviously voted "Yes".

RE: Revert Forum Playerlist Changes - Sombs - 03-12-2017

Quote:[04/03/2017 15:11:11] Luc E-W: =/\=Warchief Edge Worlds 94 0 0 12 minutes, 58 seconds

one of the Sigmas
Omegas
Omicrons
Tau-37
Gallic Edge Worlds

And it takes me less than a minute to find out.

RE: Revert Forum Playerlist Changes - Laura C. - 03-12-2017

This is a failed experiment. It would have been worth it giving it a shot if it would have been prepared properly. That means, regions labeled properly and not Conn showing as Liberty or 30 systems all over the Sirius stuck under the same label as Border Worlds. Current form is a bad one.

Also, I still don´t see how this prevents shadowlogging. If someone wants to shadowlog, he usually waits for his victim to log. Once he see the name in the list, he will log and check ingame playerlist where the victim is precisely.

RE: Revert Forum Playerlist Changes - Mao - 03-12-2017

As a person that was shadowlogged numerous times, I voted no. It is supposed to make people log without pinpointing the exact location of their target. That means, they have to spend more time ingame, searching for a ship.

RE: Revert Forum Playerlist Changes - Sombs - 03-12-2017

(03-12-2017, 04:13 PM)Laura C. Wrote: Also, I still don´t see how this prevents shadowlogging. If someone wants to shadowlog, he usually waits for his victim to log. Once he see the name in the list, he will log and check ingame playerlist where the victim is precisely.

(03-12-2017, 04:09 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote:
Quote:[04/03/2017 15:11:11] Luc E-W: =/\=Warchief Edge Worlds 94 0 0 12 minutes, 58 seconds

one of the Sigmas
Omegas
Omicrons
Tau-37
Gallic Edge Worlds

And it takes me less than a minute to find out.

Apparently, a minute makes a clear difference, because people have been less likely to log as a counter reaction. I prefer having a server with 50 people doing their thing instead of a server with 50 people doing their thing plus 20 people counter-logging without having any other motivation to log in.

RE: Revert Forum Playerlist Changes - Corile - 03-12-2017

but why arent you putting in the effort to open game and check urself?????????????????