Discovery Gaming Community
Setting up a private discovery server for friends, Questions about configuring it. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Setting up a private discovery server for friends, Questions about configuring it. (/showthread.php?tid=152885)

Setting up a private discovery server for friends, Questions about configuring it. - Bomjus1 - 08-17-2017

EDIT: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=152891 this thread (that laz made, thanks) pretty much covers anything one might need to get your server started and all my questions have been answered save for #3 and #4.

so, like some here, i am playing on my own private server with 2 other friends and back when discovery used FMM i could configure starting cash, reputation and starting system when i activated the mod. Now that there is a launcher i don't know how to do this anymore.

so looking for some help on these things:

1. admin "cheat" commands, my 2 friends are completely new to freelancer so i will probably be using these to help show them the ropes at the beginning. also how do you specify who the admin of the server is in the first place? and how do you apply a command to another player, like giving my noob friend godmode for his first combat mission so he gets used to flying, for example.

2. how do i configure starting statistics? starting ships, starting reputation, starting planet etc.

3. is there a way to remove licenses (the ones you buy for ships)? or do we even have to buy them to use their respective ship? i haven't played in a while but i remember having to buy an expensive capital ship license to use a capital ship. but maybe that's only a requirement on the RP server and not in a private server? since i'm not sure, i'm asking.

4. if i am just plain ol' running FLserver does it save the characters when i close the server? and those same characters will be available when i launch it again at a later date?

5. any other tips from people who played in a small group. i've done this tons of times with vanilla freelancer but first time hosting a private server with the discovery mod and FLhook. so anything that might have helped you and your friend's experience is welcome information to me.

EDIT(Solved): well, having problems with my friend joining (of course) and i think it's because the flserver is listening on a different port than i forwarded? i tried using 2302-2304 but i got connection refused on canyouseeme. however, the port i use from terraria (7777) works fine so is there a way to change what port the flserver uses? i'd rather not have to either fix this singular port or call my ISP to see if they are blocking it. Solved by adding /p7777 to the target line for the FLserver shortcut. this command line changed the port that the server was listening on.

glad to be back playing this fantastic game and fantastic mod. thanks for any help.

RE: Setting up a private discovery server for friends, Questions about configuring it. - Goliath - 08-17-2017

Hello. From what I know, option to make your own server has been disabled

RE: Setting up a private discovery server for friends, Questions about configuring it. - Occam Razor - 08-17-2017

That is not true, you can still make your own server, but it requires some technical expertise. The only thing they removed is showing other servers in the client automatically. Do you know how to give Freelancer the server IP via command line parameter?

RE: Setting up a private discovery server for friends, Questions about configuring it. - Bomjus1 - 08-17-2017

(08-17-2017, 09:04 AM)Occam Razor Wrote: That is not true, you can still make your own server, but it requires some technical expertise. The only thing they removed is showing other servers in the client automatically. Do you know how to give Freelancer the server IP via command line parameter?

yes i know about the -sip:port command to add to the .exe's shortcut. i have already been able to connect to my own server so my only questions/problems (so far at least) are the ones stated above. thank you for the concern though, i did have to do a bit of searching to get that part all figured out.

RE: Setting up a private discovery server for friends, Questions about configuring it. - Laz - 08-17-2017

https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=152891

Regarding your question about starting character, you'd have to edit mpnewcharacter.fl in the EXE dir, and make sure both you and him have the same file. Note, you'd need to back this up if you still want to use the main Disco server.

EDIT:

(08-17-2017, 09:04 AM)Occam Razor Wrote: The only thing they removed is showing other servers in the client automatically.

It was never automatic, but rather you'd have to register your server with the admins who would then add it to all launchers. However, you are correct in the fact that it is no longer an option.