Discovery Gaming Community
RE: Border Worlds SHF - Personal Concept - Pet Project Tracker - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+---- Thread: RE: Border Worlds SHF - Personal Concept - Pet Project Tracker (/showthread.php?tid=161845)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Border Worlds SHF - Personal Concept - Pet Project Tracker - Errant.Venture - 06-10-2018

Alrighty. So I slapped this together today, because I've been putting it off. The link below is where my random modeling ended up. It's Version .000001, and my questions are as follows:
  • How hard is it going to be for me to hitbox this thing?
  • Will FL Hook allow this to have the following:
    1. x4 Fighter Class 9 Guns (Hardpoints are Hexagons Below (Gun) and on engines
    2. x2 Fighter Class 6 Guns (Nose fin thingy hexagons)
    3. x1 Class 4 or Class 5 Gunboat / Transport turret (Preferably for a Missile Turret) (Big Hexagon on Underbelly)
    4. x1 CM Dropper (Hexagon / Circle Thing between 4 circles on underbelly)
    5. x1 Thruster (Hopefully to be able to mount between 4 main engines, center aft, in receded Rectangle.
    6. x1 Gunboat or Transport Shield
    7. 600 -750 Cargo space
  • Inspiration for this came from my old Spatial crap models from .85, and a dromedary.

So basically the idea behind this thing is Long-Burn, Border World / Edge World SHF / Freighter where ideally you're running cap 6 armor, and are dealing with nomads, and other unsavory characters. The premise or notion is, this ship is for those true independent's that explore, survive, and fight in the most remote regions of space.

Original Model link: Errant.Venture's Border World SHF - Freighter Hybrid
Current Model link: Border Worlds SHF Concept
Approx. 15 M long nose to aft.
Approx. 12.5 M wide wingtip to wing tip.

Drop a reply here, hit me up on discord, or PM me if you're willing to assist.

Thanks,

-Errant / Tereus

RE: Modeling / Hardpoint / Other questions - Durandal - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 05:56 AM)Errant.Venture Wrote: Alrighty. So I slapped this together today, because I've been putting it off. The link below is where my random modeling ended up. It's Version .000001, and my questions are as follows:
  • How hard is it going to be for me to hitbox this thing?

This depends entirely upon the modeling program you are using and your proficiency in it. In 3ds max, this model would take me under 20 minutes to hitbox.

(06-10-2018, 05:56 AM)Errant.Venture Wrote:
  • Will FL Hook allow this to have the following:
    1. x4 Fighter Class 9 Guns (Hardpoints are Hexagons Below (Gun) and on engines
    2. x2 Fighter Class 6 Guns (Nose fin thingy hexagons)
    3. x1 Class 4 or Class 5 Gunboat / Transport turret (Preferably for a Missile Turret) (Big Hexagon on Underbelly)
    4. x1 CM Dropper (Hexagon / Circle Thing between 4 circles on underbelly)
    5. x1 Thruster (Hopefully to be able to mount between 4 main engines, center aft, in receded Rectangle.
    6. x1 Gunboat or Transport Shield
    7. 600 -750 Cargo space
  • Inspiration for this came from my old Spatial crap models from .85, and a dromedary.

• FLHook has nothing to do with the kind of hardpoints a ship possesses, that is defined in shiparch.ini. However, if you are asking whether or not the balance team would accept such a ship, that would be a resounding no. What you are requesting would be far too powerful for its size, particularly the gunboat/transport shield.

(06-10-2018, 05:56 AM)Errant.Venture Wrote: So basically the idea behind this thing is Long-Burn, Border World / Edge World SHF / Freighter where ideally you're running cap 6 armor, and are dealing with nomads, and other unsavory characters. The premise or notion is, this ship is for those true independent's that explore, survive, and fight in the most remote regions of space.

While the lore premise isn't a bad one, keep in mind that we balance according to how ships interact with each other in the game. We aren't going to give a ship better stats simply because it is meant to be flown in a certain scenario within the context of the lore.

(06-10-2018, 05:56 AM)Errant.Venture Wrote: Model link: Errant.Venture's Border World SHF - Freighter Hybrid
    Model Info:
    Approx. 15 M long nose to aft.
    Approx. 12.5 M wide wingtip to wing tip.

From a technical standpoint:

You have a lot of intersecting geometry that could be cleaned up here. There is no reason for the hardpoint hexagons to be attached to the hull of the model. There are also sections of this model which are using far too many polygons on small curved surfaces, an effect which could easily be emulated by smoothgroups and far less polies. The biggest offending areas are the engine exhausts, the inset rings on the bottom of the ship, and the cylindrical protrusions extending from the wings.

From an aesthetic standpoint:

You are largely using intersecting shapes referred to as primitives, which are basic geometry such as cubes and cylinders. You have almost nothing in the way of actual human interaction with the model, and as such it feels very artificial. I strongly suggest cutting out custom shapes, moving vertices around manually, and utilizing bevels. It will give your model a much more natural feel. As it stands now, this is not something I would implement into the game.

RE: Modeling / Hardpoint / Other questions - Errant.Venture - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 06:15 AM)Durandal Wrote: From a technical standpoint:

You have a lot of intersecting geometry that could be cleaned up here. There is no reason for the hardpoint hexagons to be attached to the hull of the model. There are also sections of this model which are using far too many polygons on small curved surfaces, an effect which could easily be emulated by smoothgroups and far less polies. The biggest offending areas are the engine exhausts, the inset rings on the bottom of the ship, and the cylindrical protrusions extending from the wings.

From an aesthetic standpoint:

You are largely using intersecting shapes referred to as primitives, which are basic geometry such as cubes and cylinders. You have almost nothing in the way of actual human interaction with the model, and as such it feels very artificial. I strongly suggest cutting out custom shapes, moving vertices around manually, and utilizing bevels. It will give your model a much more natural feel. As it stands now, this is not something I would implement into the game.

Yep, I'm really bad at modeling, and I have to reteach myself 3DS max. This was done in Sketchup. I already converted the .skp files to .3ds since you said that's the program you prefer for models.

Quote:FLHook has nothing to do with the kind of hardpoints a ship possesses, that is defined in shiparch.ini. However, if you are asking whether or not the balance team would accept such a ship, that would be a resounding no. What you are requesting would be far too powerful for its size, particularly the gunboat/transport shield.

I wasn't planning on submitting it, it was just a pet project thing / intro to modeling in FL I spose. I figured any submitted ship models that get accepted you just slap what you want balance wise on there.

Thanks @Durandal I'll putz with it in 3DS.max

RE: Modeling / Hardpoint / Other questions - Durandal - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 06:22 AM)Errant.Venture Wrote: Yep, I'm really bad at modeling, and I have to reteach myself 3DS max. This was done in Sketchup. I already converted the .skp files to .3ds since you said that's the program you prefer for models.

.3ds is only a file format and is not specific to any one program. Many programs can import and export it. That said, it's a decent choice for moving models between programs, second only to .obj for SketchUp. For moving files between more advanced programs, I'd recommend fbx for autodesk programs (Max and Maya) and .dae for anything else.

RE: RE: Modeling / Hardpoint / Other questions - Errant.Venture - 06-10-2018

@Durandal I sent you another .skp.

This is variant 2, cleaned up the poly's a bit more, changed the front end for this variant, cleaned up the back end, and added more detail. Still primitive asf most likely.

Variant 2 - Border Worlds SHF - Freighter Hybrid

Length: Approx. 14 M
    Width: Approx 12.5 M

RE: RE: Modeling / Hardpoint / Other questions - Errant.Venture - 06-10-2018

//Got the answers I need, you can lock this thread, or whatever. Model is being updated under Link 1, found here: Borderworlds SHF

RE: RE: Border Worlds SHF - Personal Concept - Pet Project Tracker - Errant.Venture - 06-11-2018

//Wing Nacelles 90%

RE: Modeling / Hardpoint / Other questions - Felsvar - 06-11-2018

(06-10-2018, 06:22 AM)Errant.Venture Wrote: I wasn't planning on submitting it, it was just a pet project thing / intro to modeling in FL I spose.

If you are learning to create models for FL, I will give you 1 of the common mistakes that majority of first-time modelers does - Mesh's Polycount. I understand that this is not for submission, but assuming you are learning, those small repetitive details are not needed. Texturing got your back on that. The model got over 40k vertices and that is only on its wings - it's not evenly spread throughout the model.

RE: RE: Border Worlds SHF - Personal Concept - Pet Project Tracker - Errant.Venture - 06-11-2018

@Felsvar Yeah poly count is stupid high. I'm currently doing this in sketchup...as I'm a noob and have to relearn 3DS Max / Blender. Once I get the basic details hashed out, my hope is I'll be able to find a matching texture for what I have in mind, and then reduce the poly. Apparently the "new" sketchup allows me to smooth only.

Add me on discord, we can chat, always looking for pointers / tips, and I'll inevitably need help texturing how I want. Updated model up, Working on some aesthetic body tweaks / changes. Same link: Updated - Super High Poly Noob Model

RE: RE: Border Worlds SHF - Personal Concept - Pet Project Tracker - Errant.Venture - 06-12-2018

Newest model revision updated. To Do:
    • Fix / Fiddle / Clean up Top half of ship.
    • Find someone who knows how to texture.
    • Reduce the poly count by alot.
    • Find someone who can help me reduce poly count by alot.

Newest Version Here

If you have texture knowledge, or can help me reduce the poly count, please DM me on Discord, or PM on forums.

-Errant