Discovery Gaming Community
Ivan's guide for a healthier community - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Flood (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Ivan's guide for a healthier community (/showthread.php?tid=182786)

Ivan's guide for a healthier community - Username removed - 08-20-2020

delete my profile already

RE: Ivan's guide for a healthier community - Groshyr - 08-20-2020

Move it out of flood to real tutorials thread or you shall be attacked by trolls.

RE: Ivan's guide for a healthier community - Username removed - 08-20-2020

RE: Ivan's guide for a healthier community - Karlotta - 08-20-2020

(08-20-2020, 07:36 PM)Ivan Norovich Wrote: Unless you are in charge of guaranteeing the server's continued existence or you joined the development team and created content to be implemented into the mod, you are not entitled to anything.

While I agree with many of the things you said, especially the part where you say that catering to vets and ignoring the interests of noobs leads to toxicity (it's actually a symptom as well as a cause of toxicity and therefore a vicious cycle), the quoted statement is counterproductive and contradictory to the more justified things you said. You probably mean "you're not entitled to special treatment" and not "not entitled to anything", but the statement as you made it has often be said and is highly problematic, and the probably intended statement "you're entitled to special treatment if..." is just as harmful (if not more or less equivalent), so I'll dissect it a bit.

"you are not entitled to anything"

There is something that everyone is entitled to when being here, and it's that those who run disco stick to the promises they made when inviting people to play here. Some of those promise are:

https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2334 Wrote:-- Game Masters are obliged:

To develop and safeguard the health of the Discovery Freelancer community, official server, and forums.

To be fair and treat all players equally, independent of their level and faction alignment.

Not to mix server roleplaying with server administration in any way.

Not to ignore any cases of server rules violations that are reported.

If staff don't stick to that promise, the social contract a.k.a community rules is null and void, and meaningless, and staff can't really expect the other side to stick to the rest of the contract either.

Now, if you say that those " in charge of guaranteeing the server's continued existence or you joined the development team and created content to be implemented into the mod" aka devs/staff are entitled to something but others are entitled to nothing, it basically tells them that rules can be selectively enforced, differentiating between those who are entitled to nothing, those who are entitled to something, and those who are entitled to nothing but are popular enough to be granted this privilege. And that's in direct contradiction to the "social contract".

There is absolutely no hope of reducing toxicity here before the staff comes to understand and accept that.

Unfortunately the particular brand of "group think" that discogc has had for over a decade (which would need its own post to be characterized more extensively, but of which your statement is an often repeated manifestation) is keeping people from doing just that.

Finally, I also find your classification as either "in charge of guaranteeing the server's continued existence or you joined the development team and created content to be implemented into the mod" or... well... what ever you call a class that is "entitled to nothing" probably because they are "worth nothing"... highly problematic and misleading.

There are people who are not part of the staff, but who keep server and community alive by helping others, by creating (the positive kind of) excitement for others, by inspiring and motivating people. There are also some who contributed more to the mod than some "devs" but who either don't want to be in the club of "entitled people" or are not let into it for "reasons". Telling everyone who doesnt fit in your narrow definition of "in power" they are "entitled to nothing" is extremely disrespectful and can never lead to a respectful and healthy environment.

tl;dr

respect starts at the top

RE: Ivan's guide for a healthier community - Username removed - 08-20-2020

RE: Ivan's guide for a healthier community - theflyingrock - 08-20-2020

Disco is too toxic i log like once a month even for my fav fraction then after that i have to disappear that says something about disco itself

RE: Ivan's guide for a healthier community - Lonely_Ghost - 08-21-2020

I guess, someone should create Discover Detox Tea for such situations.
One cup before and after playing on disco server.

RE: Ivan's guide for a healthier community - Username removed - 08-23-2020

RE: Ivan's guide for a healthier community - Mick - 08-23-2020

To be honest it's only toxic if you take it too seriously, The toxic folk of Discovery are just plain trolls with nothing better to do!

Take that out of the equation from my own personal experience Discovery is quite the fun experience!

If you let those toxic folk get to you then you've in effect ruined your own gaming experience by succombing to the Trolls most favourite thing a negative reaction cause they feed off it they want that from you because thats what Trolls do!!

I would personally say to any new player stay off the forums and play the game first immerse yourself into the game yourself and find your own fun then interact with forums! As from my own experience when starting here most of the folks here don't respect or value a new persons opinion or ideas you're just a noob that no one cares about so theres no point in even trying to get anywhere in this forum community until you've settled in after a month or so cause to a lot of these folks they think they're high and mighty over noobs cause they been here a long time and don't understand how to meet and greet and make folks feel welcome... However i am part of a big group of highly active players who endeavour to help and teach folks in game because of my experiences in the Forums i don't want to see others leave cause of Trolls and Toxic Community members a lot of the time being attacked for no reason whatsoever!

RE: Ivan's guide for a healthier community - Zaltarias - 08-23-2020

Like irl but boi this is why we love it