Discovery Gaming Community
Your RP sucks - here are some tips to make it better - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Tutorials & Tools (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+---- Thread: Your RP sucks - here are some tips to make it better (/showthread.php?tid=189809)

Your RP sucks - here are some tips to make it better - Corile - 09-22-2021

YOUR RP SUCKS
How to make it better?

If you're doing any kind of RP or storytelling on Discovery Freelancer you probably aren't very good at it. To be honest, there are very few people in the world who are good at it. But it's a fun exercise. It would be even more fun if you knew that you got better at it while doing it. So, in order to raise the level of quality of stuff posted in the Stories and Biographies, Comms and in game, I prepared this short list of tips that helped me improve my writing and perhaps they can help you improve yours.

These are ordered from the easiest to implement to some that require more practice or work. It's up to you how much work you want to put into developing your craft, but note that the ability for storytelling is a very useful skill not only in Discovery but in real life as well.

This is intended primarily for avid and aspiring forumlancers, but some tips are more generally useful in the game as well.

1. Write in English
Discovery is in English and you should also write in English. This means that you should spellcheck and grammar check your writing if you are not a native speaker. This also means that you should not import grammatical rules from your native language if you are not a native English speaker. If you're German, this means that you do not capitalise improper nouns. If you're French, this means you do not put spaces in front of punctuation marks, and so on. These things might look natural in a foreign language to you, but if you want your RP to be readable, it has to adhere to English rules of style.

Also, if you're writing dialogues, make sure to understand how dialogue punctuation works in English. This is much less important in game, where the dialogues are written directly and any actions are in helper text surrounded usually by asterisks, than the forums.

2. Continuity of tenses
When you write your own stories or participate in RP with multiple people, it makes it a lot easier to read if everyone is writing in the same tense. The default mode for storytelling is writing in past tense (because you are telling a story, that is, narrating events that happened). Another popular way is to write in present tense, because it makes the story more dynamic.

Here is an example paragraph in present tense narrative, and then in past tense. Note the underlined verbs that change their forms (present to past, past to past perfect).

As Vaillant goes off to confer with another guard and put the documents in their place in the archives, she studies the jottings that she wrote that are a crude copy of Katsouranis's note. Unable to make any more sense of it, she puts it in her pocket.

As Valliant went off to confer with another guard and put the documents in their place in the archives, she studied the jottings that she had written that were a crude copy of Katsouranis's note. Unable to make any more sense of it, she put it in her pocket.

(source)

3. Show don't tell
The very point of roleplaying is to get a feel for how your character would behave in certain situations. This is why it is unnecessary to write a long-winded exposition about who your character is, what is his or her background or things like that. It is nice to do it in the beginning, perhaps to set a scene for the story. However, in most other cases it is better to focus on what your character says, thinks, feels and does. Even the smallest minutiae can help you get more in the zone of making your character more believable. And if you're writing blind (i.e. without sending your fragments to people to confirm before posting), it can help the other people participating in a story to get a better feel on how they can progress.

At the same time, you must remember to stay relevant to what you're leading towards. A great flaw of RP in Discovery is that before publishing it is quite hard to edit it and remove the irrelevant bits. Because of that, you have to learn to be relevant from the very beginning.

4. Read more
In Discovery, you write fiction. To write good fiction, you need to read good fiction. There is a lot of content online that you can digest and learn from. When you're reading a story, don't just look at the content but also the form. Note the ways the author makes his points and progresses the stories. Write down good combinations of words and curate fine turns of phrase. Avoid stock phrases and pop-culture, they make stories feel less like its own universe and more like a poor calque of reality. Originality is overrated: most plots were invented a thousand years before any one of us was born, if you read more you will find some that fit Discovery and you might be able to spring off into an interesting character arc. And if you read a lot, don't shy away from hiding things that you read in your work: inside jokes to yourself, obscure literary references, images you saw in a dream, something that happened in your childhood - even if no one catches them, they add texture and depth.

On top of reading other people's work, read your own work. Read it aloud and feel how words taste in your mouth, see how you can improve them. We might not be poets here, but the way words sound is very important even if we don't read them aloud. Storytelling is not just unrolling semantics, it should have a hint of poetry in it as well.

5. Pace the narrative
The point of every sentence in a literary work is to lead the reader to the next sentence. The way this is achieved is through tension, which is unrealised desire. The speed at which this desire is realised is called pacing. Pacing is important because it makes the story feel less stale and more dynamic, and is achieved by carefully structuring your sentences. The shorter the sentence, the faster we feel the action is progressing. So when you are writing about a calm situation, a conversation between friends, the sentences will be longer and more runny. If the situation is tense, words and sentences are short. They hit like quick punches, one after another. When things are supposed to be slow, pay attention to smallest detail, when they are fast, skip it.

6. Vary your structure
This is something that is qutie difficult to do and naturally comes with practice. When you're writing about something that is fairly similar, perhaps a description of a room or a sequence of actions that your character does, you should remember not to repeat the same sentence structure too much. Instead, try to use different structures to pace it better and make it more interesting.

Here is an example of a paragraph that uses the same structure, and then one that varies it.

She must have missed something. She carefully went through the two documents again. She looked for patterns in the wording or letters. She could not decipher anything. She shook her head.

She must have missed something. She carefully went through the two documents again, looking for patterns in the wording or letters, but there was nothing that she could decipher. She shook her head.

7. Conceal the why
Aristotle, when defining the basics of analytical thinking in 4th century BC identified four causes of why anything exists, the most important one of which is the "final" cause, relating to why it exists. Playing around with the final cause makes for good reading because understanding something well really amounts to understanding its final cause. Thus, when you're writing, you might want to first be more explicit with the reasons for your character's behaviour, but gradually tone it down so that the reader can make this discovery on his own. This makes it so that not only you get to understand your character and its motivations, but also your readers.

8. Write more
Write more. Write every day, at least a single sentence. Experiment with form and learn to avoid clichés so that your writing is fresh and every new story is an adventure.

I hope this was useful and if you have any feedback or further tips, feel free to leave them below.

RE: Your RP sucks - here are some tips to make it better - Czechmate - 09-22-2021

Nice effort, thank you!

RE: Your RP sucks - here are some tips to make it better - JojKyLizaLe - 09-22-2021

Thank you! We need more of this!

RE: Your RP sucks - here are some tips to make it better - Uknown - 09-22-2021

These are nice tips for everyone, i cannot say and on behave of my sister that we write best RP in whole game .... but being English at least our third or fourth language is pretty impratical to us since we only practice the language right now in game ... so ...
I could say i have taken "parts" of my learning to each day i play if i have some interaction in some way ... to exercise in order to be a better Roleplayer ...
So ...
All i can say, is "Thank you" and take a note this to punt in consideration for next steps Smile

RE: Your RP sucks - here are some tips to make it better - Wesker - 09-22-2021

Of all the threads you’ve made this is by far the best one. I suck at roleplay in writing but I try to improve. Thanks!

RE: Your RP sucks - here are some tips to make it better - Solo Wing Sagume - 09-22-2021

Thanks for your effort writing this guide, always feel need to keep at it improving my writing. Will bookmark this.

RE: Your RP sucks - here are some tips to make it better - Thunderer - 09-23-2021

I like some of these, but I think it's important not to forget that this is a guide how to make your RP better according to Corile. There is no absolute standard for writing and that's what makes it fun. When you write, you are free.

However, I disagree with two points. While I agree that writing RP is a good way to improve your English, I don't think it should be the reason why you would improve it. I don't mind when the English is creaky, especially if the writer is not a native speaker, as long as whatever is written is comprehensible. What matters is the story, language is only a medium that conveys it. If it conveys it, it works. Also, I think that "show, don't tell" is more of a film technique rather than one desirable in literature. I myself prefer the opposite in books, but I agree that it works better in motion pictures.

RE: Your RP sucks - here are some tips to make it better - Corile - 09-23-2021

(09-23-2021, 01:54 PM)Thunderer Wrote: how to make your RP better according to Corile

no

I compiled this list from a number of tips from a number of people who I know and who helped me develop writing style. This is not just my fancy but actually it is advice from a number of really good authors. Some of it I got personally (which is mentioned in the very beginning of this guide, that these are tips which helped me specifically develop my style), but some are general and apply to everyone.

I merely curated the ones which are relevant to disco. The only one which is my personal observation that happens on Discovery a lot is the first one - that there are a lot of ESLs here who inject their own language rules into English writing. This is not a subjective opinion. Capitalising common nouns in English is wrong. Putting spaces in front of sentence-terminating punctuation marks is wrong. Whether you agree with this or not doesn't concern me because those are the rules of the English language. Some are up to preference (like whether to put a double space after a full stop) but the ones enumerated in the first tip are not.

Also I should point out that these are tips not rules. Another way to think of them is as heuristics. They have a very big chance of improving your writing, but once you get them and internalise them, you might find that you would rather break them for artistic benefit.

Quote:While I agree that writing RP is a good way to improve your English, I don't think it should be the reason why you would improve it. I don't mind when the English is creaky, especially if the writer is not a native speaker, as long as whatever is written is comprehensible. What matters is the story, language is only a medium that conveys it.

I don't think that's right. RP is not just storytelling, or rather storytelling is not just storytelling. Everything in life competes for everyone's attention and if your RP is poor quality then it does not invite others to engage with it. The fact is that language, grammar and style (especially style) is the first sieve through which one might decide whether to engage in RP with you or whether to just /1 /2 you in game because you're a lolwut. Sometimes you might get through that sieve with poor grammar/style but on a wider scale you are just limiting your audience and that shouldn't be your goal. (If it is your goal then the most limited audience possible is your drawer.)

I want to emphasise though that I don't mean that you shouldn't write if your English is poor. Strive to improve it in general because it's useful beyond Discovery Freelancer dot com.

(09-23-2021, 01:54 PM)Thunderer Wrote: Also, I think that "show, don't tell" is more of a film technique rather than one desirable in literature. I myself prefer the opposite in books, but I agree that it works better in motion pictures.

The point is rather that you should convey information as it relates to your characters rather than how it is relevant. This is a heuristic, it is not always desirable or true, but it is a great rule of thumb in RP because it helps you stay relevant (and also because oftentimes exposition is unnecessary because we all RP in the same universe).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

(09-22-2021, 11:35 PM)Wesker Wrote: I suck at roleplay in writing but I try to improve.

[Image: WfJcD2L.png]

Many such cases!