Discovery Gaming Community
The Ames Interlude - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Unofficial Factions and Groups (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+--- Thread: The Ames Interlude (/showthread.php?tid=192668)

Pages: 1 2

The Ames Interlude - ellipsis - 05-16-2022

Ames Research Station | 19:00 - 19:15

Under the promise of sharing a drink in the radioactive sea that is Kepler, a lone Tachi boards the station as it rests its fantastical body on the pad. The roar of the old engines come to a slow and harmonious stop as the majority of the ship's functions power off to allow her to safely exit. Before that, however, she takes the time to make a full change of clothes, considering a flight suit to be rather uncomfortable to wear into a bar. She didn't really care if it made her late. Several moments afterwards, the clicks of heels could be heard escaping the cockpit and echoing out into the hangar as she sets foot into Ames for the first time. She'd heard that the station used to belong to Deep Space Engineering before the first storms came through and destroyed all chances of them maintaining the station, but it seems the Zoners have done a fairly good job at refurbishing the once lost Ames. She just had yet to see it for her own eyes.

She passed the so called grandfather of the Defender belonging to the Xeno she met earlier, wondering if it's really as deadly as its reputation holds. Then she scoffs. Of course. The Dragons have worked with all of their ancient designs and made them even deadlier than their adversaries as well. Of course, the Xenos would adopt a similar lethality. Of course, they'd be able to adapt the old designs to compete with the modern counterparts. They wouldn't have made it this long without that form of power. 'How resourceful', she thought, as she stepped through the hangar bay doors into the station's residential facilities, which obviously included the bar. The doors to the bar opened with a resounding hiss to welcome another poor soul in need of some liquid courage. In walked what could be called a walking history lesson, stepping to the beat of high heels.

At a glance, someone with a good eye for measurements could tell she was about 5'7'' without the added height from her three inch heels. From her feet to her head, the only color she wore was black save for her jingasa, which was a nice shade of crimson. Tsuya's face was very symmetrical down to the littlest detail of her silky, jet black hair, trimmed nicely and evenly to present herself as professionally as possible. Her traditional Kusarian robes were neatly dressed and tied tightly to her body by the two leather belts around her chest. Accentuating it was a small, light cloak that covered her shoulders. it was connected to her cloak using leather cords, and the backside of it stretched only halfway down her back, while brandishing the emblem of her clique. Her hands were covered up entirely by long, armored leather gauntlet/bracer combo that seemed to travel up to her forearms before it's covered up by her sleeves. Her boots were of a similar material. The heels and toe boxes were all metal and the region of the vamps up to the tall shafts were leather, combined with external armor plating.

The realization soon hit her that she doesn't even know what this guy looks like, let alone his real name. Going around and asking people would be extremely awkward, so she quickly tosses that plan in the trash. She resolves to simply wait around near the bar and hope that she stands out enough for the Xeno to spot her. Maybe people dressed so uniquely like her aren't a dime a dozen.

RE: The Ames Interlude - Reeves - 05-16-2022

As she stood around and waited rather awkwardly, several people seemed to take note of her from a variety of positions in the bar. But it didn't seem like any of them were intent on approaching or making a move of some kind. But eventually one straggly individual was on approach and it was highly doubtful this was the person she'd come to see, the fact he'd worked up the courage seemed to motivate two others.

Her view of the approaching individuals was eventually blocked in its entirety as a man stopped in his path between her and them, taking note of the three men who now seemed remarkably more hesitant to approach. The one in the way was by all means different, standing a head taller than the others and with an appearance that evoked style and grace. His white uniform was broken up by red accents, the insignias of a hooded snake and a proud white star displayed proudly. His sleeves were neatly rolled up and the pair of gloves that came with the set were tucked into a back pocket of the trousers.

When he did turn to face the woman who seemed to be the focal point of all this unwarranted attention, he just smirked and nodded before commenting. "A rose, good choice." It was a familiar voice and tone but it was up to her to connect the dots and figure that out before he just kept walking.

RE: The Ames Interlude - ellipsis - 05-17-2022

Ames Research Station | 19:15 - 19:20

She'd stood still during the entire exchange that led up to the familiar man scaring off the riffraff. Either she was completely unfazed or completely naive as to what they may have been intending to do. It mattered not. It seemed to her that the mere presence of this guy was enough to strike fear and obedience into anyone if it was necessary. Out of habit, she graciously bows to the man at a 30 degree angle, expressing the usual Kusarian method of introduction and respect. When she returns to an upright position, she can't help but return a smirk of her own when the man came face to face with her. He must be standing at least six feet tall, as her heels almost raise her height enough to exchange glances at an equal level. At first, she was somewhat surprised by the juxtaposition of his somewhat youthful, angular face in comparison to his tidy, snow white hair. The signs of a budding mustache and beard were present on his face, hinting that the man shaves frequently but refuses to let it grow out. It was as though every ounce of this man radiated a certain aspect of genteel while maintaining his naturally intimidating presence that somehow warded away the suspicious group.

"A rose can mean many things..." She says, taking one step further towards him. Intimacy, splendor, determination... It's the flower of romance, but its thorns can be just as deadly and deceptive as a feline of prey. The meanings even change with its color. " She crosses her arms and looks the man in the eyes, leaning into a slight contrapposto. Immediately, she recognized the voice as the same one she'd heard over the relay earlier. By process of elimination, this would be the 'Cobra' she was looking for. She wasn't certain, but for a second she felt as though the deep blue of his irides captivated her in a way that she hasn't experienced before. The look he gives her is one of an unreadable expression, and her hunger for knowledge began to get the better of her. What secrets, what emotions lay deep within this man who spearheads the contingent of what could be considered one of the deadliest outlaw organizations in Liberty? She wanted to know, even if it was piece by piece. Scrap after scrap.

Rather than being direct about it, she wanted to see if he would recognize her as well. If it weren't for the insignias that made it somewhat obvious, she might have let him walk off. "For the record, I'd have been able to handle them myself. In my position, I must learn countless methods of martial arts. Regardless, I thank you for the help. You must be the one and only, then, if you're able to scare people off just like that... 'Cobra'. The mere mention of that codename must strike terror into the hearts of your enemies. You weren't kidding when you said you earned your position." Even with Ames being a frequent and convenient resting point for many wandering pilots and captains, she has a knack for remembering voices, moreso than names. Singling out a voice among a crowd is an easy task for her.

RE: The Ames Interlude - Reeves - 05-17-2022

"The only reason they're afraid is because I've already killed people on this station and with minimal hesitation." That statement created more questions than answers, much like how the Detroit perforator creates more holes than necessary. The voice was familiar for him too, though she wasn't what he was expecting despite the fact that she'd openly disclosed just how young she actually was. It was strange to see a leader of an organization with such a storied tradition not abide by some kind of conservative norm, but then again he knew little about the Dragons other than the fact their cause went so far back into history that it was practically an antique.

"Let's go get a seat before there are none left." It was a good idea considering this place wasn't going to get any emptier at this hour, and especially not with the heightened traffic. He had his eyes locked on a currently empty table and was heading directly for it, gesturing for her to follow along with a nod.

RE: The Ames Interlude - ellipsis - 05-18-2022

Ames Research Station | 19:22 - 19:25

With a silent nod in return, she follows him to his table of choice and seats herself on the opposite side. She seats herself on the opposite side of the table, allowing them both to have considerable personal space. The show of influence he put on earlier removes any trace of anxiety from her mind. What he said earlier only made her more curious about him. If he was to be believed, then it meant he is just as lethal, just as decisive, as any Dragon would be. "That must be quite a story to tell. I suppose Zoner law isn't necessarily respected around these parts, hm?" Her eyes met his in a certain gaze, the nature of which was hard to put into words. Her eyes were alight with a firey, radiant youth, yet showed the patience and tranquility of a wise elder.

"Firstly, I apologize if I 'stick out like a sore thumb', so to speak. I'm sure it must be obvious, but I'm largely unfamiliar with the nature of freeports like Ames, as I usually am not required to visit them myself... except for sparse or chance meetings such as this." The fingers of her left hand gently drummed the table, yet not out of boredom. The anticipation she felt was something else, something she hardly experiences in her natural element, Kusari. Here, she was like a fish out of water. No longer in the home of honor. That understanding of the situation put her on edge slightly, but she tries her best to set it aside. "I'd intended to respect Zoner law by not bringing weapons into the bar, but perhaps that was a mistake..."

RE: The Ames Interlude - Reeves - 05-18-2022

The comment about what he'd just mentioned being quite a story evoked a shake of the head and a shrug as a response. It was a long time ago and the details felt distant and like they were part of another lifetime now, certainly not this one at least. He also just didn't feel like recounting that particular tale either and instead skipped past it when making conversation. "Nothing to apologize for, it's not against law to bring a weapon but it is against guidelines to go around using it for no good reason." Having explained this, he focused on getting the attention of somebody that could serve them drinks, intending to order the "usual" for himself and letting his company decide for herself.

The contrast between them was like glass and wood, he was entirely in his element here and seemed to revel in that fact. Likely visiting Ames often when he felt the need to lay low for a while and just think. The storm reducing the volume of traffic just seemed to make him more comfortable with the notion of coming here, the less crowded - the better.

RE: The Ames Interlude - ellipsis - 05-19-2022

Ames Research Station | 19:22 - 19:25

She takes a mental note of the man's apparent unwillingness to talk about the conflict, and decides not to push it further. "Perhaps even the presence of a weapon on a person could instigate some form of conflict or tension, though. I was unwilling to take that risk for such a casual meeting, but my inexperience outside of Kusari proves that I unnecessarily endangered myself. Won't happen again." She sits quietly, waiting for 'Cobra' to grab the attention of a server, who promptly walks over to address their orders. As the server made their arrival, she asked for the selection of specials tonight for drinks. On that list was one name that caught her attention; a 'Singapore Sling'. A gin based tall cocktail that is originally a Jakartan recipe, made with 1/4ths lemon juice, 1/4ths dry gin, 1/2th cherry brandy, mixed with sparkling water. For the special, the drink has the added ingredients of pineapple juice and orange juice to the same measurements as the lemon juice. To her, it sounded like the perfect mix for her. A sophisticated and fruity mixture of flavors that was a callback to her favorite back in Kusari. Having been enchanted by the unique sound of the mix, she orders that.

RE: The Ames Interlude - Reeves - 05-21-2022

He ordered a soda and requested for it to be served in a glass with three ice cubes. A rather unassuming thing going by the branded name of "Blue Bolt" - quite popular on Curacao due to how balanced its flavor was. But it was almost always used as an addition to a drink rather than just on its own, clearly he was part of that latter minority though. Ames was not nearly as popular as it used to be, although it had recovered something in the way of regular visitors, it was never the same. And whether or not it was more interesting now as a result of that was up to perception.

"Well, we're both here and I assume you were so keen to sit down and talk because you wanted an idea of what life is like out here. So if you have questions, ask and I'll answer directly, even if you might not like what you hear." That was both a promise of absolute honesty, but also a warning that it would probably be wise of her to not ask questions she didn't want to hear answers to. The barriers were hers to define, and dictate what kind of tone this conversation was going to take on.

RE: The Ames Interlude - ellipsis - 05-27-2022

Ames Research Station | 19:25 - 19:27

So as they waited for her drinks, she took a moment to dig up some basic questions. She'd only ever seen the nice side of Liberty, the one she saw when she was only a child. But she wasn't going to stray away from the rough questions that have rough answers. Here sat two leaders who know the cruel truth behind their nations, who fight bravely to make a change. Any change for a future they believe is right. Inheritors of ancient ideals. She didn't know the man in front of her, but she knew the Xenos, despite being distant, weren't all that different in some aspects.

"Well... I suppose I'll start simple. I've only ever seen Liberty as an outsider. I don't know what life as an average Libertonian could possibly be. Is that something you're able to answer? Lives of the average citizenry should tell me a lot about the nature of Liberty."

RE: The Ames Interlude - Reeves - 06-03-2022

A fairly tame choice of question, not the worst idea when starting out with conversation but certainly not the most thought provoking thing either. Regardless of that fact he nodded slowly and thoughtfully expressed an honest answer. "Simple. The average person can have a fairly nice life he has a relatively stable income. The only problem is that Liberty doesn't offer much in the way of jobs, so this is easier said than done. The majority of the population scrapes by or winds up on prison, it's only somewhere in the realm of forty percent that actually lead what you might consider decent lives. To be poor is a crime here, entire planetary populations have been displaced for it and used to fuel prison industry." Despite how plainly and politely he'd put the information across, it felt consequential and even personal. But that was likely on account of the fact that it was like the awkward first few seconds of being inside someone else's home. Even if it did come with an invitation.

Once he'd grown quiet and let her process what he'd said, there was the sound of ice clinking in a glass nearby. Their drinks were on the way over to the table.