Discovery Gaming Community
PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 (/showthread.php?tid=201020)

Pages: 1 2 3

PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 - Wesker - 12-08-2023

Alright, so I've been playing for a while since the release of 5.0. There are a couple of things that I love and a couple of things that infuriate me to the moon. The topic I am about to discuss doesn't fall on either end of the spectrum. Normally, I would just take this straight to the balance developers. I find that they usually at least hear me out on this since I have a good amount of experience and fly fighters regularly. This, however, I think requires more of a unanimous consensus. Mostly because this is something that people are fearful of reverting back due to hardware differences among players or whatever the case may be.

Snub weapon arcs were reduced greatly to counteract people who had wider displays and level the playing field. At first when I heard this I thought "whatever doesn't make a difference to me at all". I played for a while, things didn't really bother me or make a difference that much for the most part. In general, this doesn't really hinder players who favor higher refire weapons or players who prefer to joust. If anything it makes it easier since you save powercore.

For players who prefer to use heavy weapons however, this becomes a real problem.

I noticed this at first using my irezumi, in general, the balance team has stated that they don't want pvp to be 1 dimensional. They do NOT favor a game where turning and out-maneuvering is the only option, but they also do NOT favor a game where jousting and boxing is the only option either. The entire essence behind heavy weapons is that they command respect from your opponent, you cannot sit and box and fly head-on with heavy weapons. Now that minirazors are more or less neutered, you need to be able to turn and fly properly to connect multiple consecutive heavy weapon shots. The muzzle cone weapon arcs make this extremely difficult in particular when you utilize these weapons. It makes it nearly impractical unless you have a lot of experience flying. In general, I think if I consider something impractical for myself or Haste, I consider it stupid for the average player to humor the general idea of utilizing that weapon/ship. This also leaves out the whole concept of ships that are designed to rely on maneuverability vs ships that are designed to fight head-on.

You can kind've see what I'm talking about first hand below, I sound like I'm complaining. It's not the end of the world, but I do think it's really dumb. (Also just chatting in discord lol)

It's just silly to me at this point. I understand the phobia behind why this was changed, but I'd still rather deal with some clown utilizing an IMAX theatre display and lose once or twice than have several ships and setups permanently neutered because of this change. You have to consider how this affects all fighters in the long run too, bombers right now absolutely trivialize fighters. If you force fighters to fight more head-on, even with a nerf to strafe force - the end result is the bomber likely winning.

I thought at first with the changes to gun speed it would fix the issue, but the issue persists in my opinion. I think either the balance team should consider amping the arcs of heavy weapons or just reverting the change altogether.

You could ALSO consider giving VHFs the same treatment the defender has with the obnoxious camera angle, that might help the issue - but I'm not sure.

tl;dr read poll.

RE: PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 - -Revenant- - 12-08-2023

I agree with your points regarding the reduction of snub weapon arcs. While I understand the intention behind leveling the playing field for players with wider displays, it has inadvertently affected those who prefer to use heavy weapons. The essence of heavy weapons is to command respect and require skillful maneuvering to connect consecutive shots. However, the reduced weapon arcs make this difficult and impractical for many players, limiting their options in combat. Additionally, the changes to gun speed may not have fully addressed the issue at hand. It may be worth considering either amping the arcs of heavy weapons or reverting the change altogether to ensure a more balanced and enjoyable gameplay experience.
Another potential solution could be to provide VHFs with a similar camera angle as the defender, which may help alleviate the issue. Overall, I believe it is important to consider the long-term impact on all fighters and how this change affects the balance of power between different ship designs.

RE: PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 - Haste - 12-08-2023

A revert followed by specifically restricting horizontal arcs per individual ship, as needed, to combat 1900:1 resolutions being too oppressive is probably the way to go. It is what it is.

RE: PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 - Saronsen - 12-08-2023

all you had to do was leave solaris usable against snubs and you could phone in people like me to deal with people with 5 foot wide monitors

RE: PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 - Megaera - 12-08-2023

(12-08-2023, 12:18 AM)Saronsen Wrote: all you had to do was leave solaris usable against snubs and you could phone in people like me to deal with people with 5 foot wide monitors

And return bombers as a proper anti-cap class instead of turning them into SHFs. They were never meant to fight snubs. Buff their DPS, return snac as a proper one-shot weapon, and none of this would be an issue.

RE: PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 - Dragomar - 12-08-2023

(12-08-2023, 12:18 AM)Saronsen Wrote: all you had to do was leave solaris usable against snubs and you could phone in people like me to deal with people with 5 foot wide monitors

Dude, the solaris forced miss is so bad. There's basically nothing good to put in secondary slots anymore. Your choices are: Solaris that has forced miss and is garbage even against npcs (try it lol), or Secondaries that are so inefficient with your awful regen and powercore its better to just not shoot at the snubs at all. Only viable secondary slot weapons are Dual Gattlings which require crazy grind to get or flaks which are situational. Blech. Also agree with Megaera.

RE: PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 - -Rax- - 12-08-2023

(12-08-2023, 06:42 AM)Couden Wrote: #Antimattermatters

[Image: KK6fniz.png?1]

RE: PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 - -Rax- - 12-08-2023

(12-08-2023, 12:16 AM)Haste Wrote: A revert followed by specifically restricting horizontal arcs per individual ship, as needed, to combat 1900:1 resolutions being too oppressive is probably the way to go. It is what it is.

I don't think that affects the whole pvping population. I mean fair enough you fight Cobalt and loose it is what it is but as Wesker says I'd rather just loose a couple fights against such people than modifying my whole fighting style just bcs newbs need more jousting. Im actually tired of those newbies needing more help, even for the fact that they will never notice the gun arc stuff since they're loosing anyway.

RE: PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 - Czechmate - 12-08-2023

It's annoying not being able to see your opponent as he shoots sideways, jousting is more "fun" for a newb like me, it makes missiles work better too

RE: PETITION: Snub Weapon arcs to return pre-5.0 - Yazov - 12-08-2023

I'm not playing fighters and nothing at this point will motivate me to, mechanics don't have anything to do with this though.