Discovery Gaming Community
Making events count - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Server Events (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=411)
+---- Forum: Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+---- Thread: Making events count (/showthread.php?tid=20876)

Pages: 1 2

Making events count - Panzer - 05-23-2009

Alright, I understand there's a divine plan for the Disco storyline, but all over Sirius there's things and places that have little or no influence over what might hapen in the future.

What if timeslot-like fights actually had some meaning aside fro two factions ganging up and wrecking eachother just for the fun of it>

What if we started fighting over space, rocks, stations...?

let's theorize a bit.

Suppose RHA and TBH/OPG agreed to do something decisive over Omega 5. A three-match series. whoever wins two of those fights - blows up/captures Ronneburg or Cadiz.

Today, we've got many modders, who could handle the fought-out changes. Territorial disputes are as an old concept as as Freelancer modding in general. Why not experiment with it here?

Making events count - reavengitair - 05-23-2009

It would be more realistic - but in some cases its not. For example. If the BHG v Order were realistic, minor and 100 would be blown up by the BHG already.

Making events count - Tomtomrawr - 05-23-2009

' Wrote:It would be more realistic - but in some cases its not. For example. If the BHG v Order were realistic, minor and 100 would be blown up by the BHG already.

Agreed, I like the idea but for some factions it just wouldn't work.

Making events count - Friday - 05-23-2009

You need to have much smaller strategic objectives - and space any 'takeover' over a longer timeframe.

The main reasons for this are 'quality control' the devs need over the Disco storyline, and the time it would take for devs to modify Disco to reflect changes.

So small, very small steps.

But this is not without precedent. The Okinawa events are supposed to determine how the system is developed. Let us see what comes of it...

Making events count - JakeSG - 05-23-2009

Maybe some minor systems with generic bases between two factions specifically designed for this, with events for ownership every month or something? Eta would be a good place if a base were added specifically for the purpose. New Hampshire/Minnesota/Quebec etc could have one system where the winning side moves their Battleship into it.

If something like this were to happen, it couldn't do anything to majorly harm the losing faction's players. More an aesthetics thing I think.

Making events count - swift - 05-23-2009

I fully agree with this.
If both factions agree, and it's done over a larger period of time, I see absolutely no reason why not.

I don't want to step on any divine toes here, but I can't help but feel that player actions should have more consequences.

And to whomever said something about unfairness up there,
the actual idea of this is that the events would be strictly controlled, with forces of each side determined in advance to maximum precision.

Making events count - Linkus - 05-23-2009

Quote:Discovery's conflicts are well documented in the story line that is included with every update. Anything outside
of that, including 'clan style' system takeovers, have no place in the roleplay scenario, nor on the server.
There is a possibility now of minor logical updates being made between final version releases, but not large
ones entirely based on player faction numbers that turn up for a scheduled battleslot event.
That isn't what Discovery is all about.

Hoodlum

Basically, you can do nothing to affect the overal storyline of Discovery.

Why? Who knows, they like control?

Making events count - Malaclypse 666 - 05-23-2009

"Capture the Flag!" on a Galactic scale...

Interesting...

Making events count - swift - 05-23-2009

Also it's not just that, Linkus.

Even the RP of factions of Disco mostly doesn't affect the mod storyline.

I could name a few examples where logic is simply defied.
But that can be talked about with Igiss I believe, so it's perhaps not a problem of us not being able to affect the story, but not trying.

But it's probably a little of both.

Making events count - tazuras - 05-23-2009

I'm kinda on the line on this issue. On one hand making events count would provide more motivation for participation at first but it would also cause more discouragement for the side that loses. It could also lead to things that really arent terribly realistic in Disco and could spoil the RP of people who can't even participate int the events due to time conflicts.

Now, the issue of who has greater numbers isnt a big deal. Battles can be balanced before hand, in terms of numbers. When this is the case what causes one side to win is skill. Personally I dont think it would be terribly fair that the more skill full PvPer's get what they want in game territorially and in RP, that is unless someone wants to write RP about losing, somehow I think that would be the minority of players.

Now doing the events over time, that can help bring balance, maybe. I think on this one we're are just going to wait and see how the Okinawa events turn out and learn from them to decide what can be done in the future.

In the mean time you can still make events count, at least to those that care about RP. When I run an RP event I always try and have some RP objective that will benefit the winners side in RP. Although this is not quite the boon a territorial gain would be, it's still something. I think having access to the RP commodities that are now in the game would help with this as well, as they can act like trophies. I am sure we will see more of this sooner or later.