Discovery Gaming Community
COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+---- Forum: Discovery Wiki (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Thread: COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. (/showthread.php?tid=27324)

Pages: 1 2

COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. - chovynz - 09-28-2009

I'm prompted to make this thread because Common Sense seems to be lacking.

DO NOT BAD MOUTH OTHER SERVERS OR FORUMS. OR THEIR MEMBERS.

I've been hearing things for the last couple of months now about how *this server* or *that server* or *our work* or *our wiki* whatever else there is.

Freelancer Discovery RP is a service provided to you FOR FREE.
Don't abuse this gift, by harassing or badmouthing other servers or forums. OR THE PEOPLE ON IT. No matter what they have done, you do not need to badmouth them.

EVERY Freelancer player is a fellow brother. Don't badmouth other servers.

----------

I want to address some related issues that I've seen/heard about.

[font=Impact][size=medium]The wiki

The Discovery Wiki is written to benefit all users of the Discovery mod.
  • It is primarily written for THIS server
  • It is primarily written BY this server.
  • Because it is FOR this server there are parts that can benefit all Mod users, and there are parts that will benefit only this server. Player Factions is the easiest example I can think of.
  • I expect all people to contribute to the wiki. However I also expect people to listen when I or one of the more experienced wiki editors say "no" or "lets try it a different way".
  • We are always looking to improve the wiki. If you have an idea for improvement, please either
    • Think through all the implications, and if it's fine, do it. If in doubt, ASK.
    • Contact one of us to see if it will work with the Wiki structure and processes. NO IDEA IS SILLY OR TOO SMALL.
      List of experienced Wiki editors.
    • Tazuras
    • Cshake
    • Blodo
    • Chovynz
    • Nathrael
    • Tumble-Weed
    • (if your name is not here and you think it should be either pm me or skype me or IM me.)
  • [font=Impact][size=medium][color=#FF6600]If you are going to complain that the Wiki has "too much info", or "too little", or "OMG it is so out of date, it sucks!", then I encourage you to read this story.
[color=#FF6600]Since Common Sense seems to be lacking
I will spell it out for you here. If you have common sense, then just smile and nod. If you don't understand what I mean, then READ THIS CAREFULLY. Hopefully by the end of my little rant you will achieve Common Sense Equilibrium. /End sarcasm.

General information on the wiki is for every user of the Discovery mod. We encourage all users to use any info that they see on the Wiki

Player Factions are for this server. This is a common sense thing, However you can take that info and use it if you wish. If you are part of a different server you are welcome to use the ideas that are within.

NPC factions are for all users. The more info those pages have based on Vanilla + Discovery, the more useful those pages are for other servers that use the Discovery Mod.

Now I will specifically address other servers factions on this Discovery Wiki. For now, I request that other server factions do not yet post their faction informations on THIS wiki ( -read that as "I will remove"). Please get your own wiki or wait patiently. MediaWiki is free and is not a difficult thing to use. To be able to organise - both this server's faction informations AS WELL AS other servers factions - is a logistical nightmare. Editors and Readers would get confused between which factions belong to which server. For simplicity sake please either get your own wiki (if you are impatient) or please wait until general information is at a stage where we can start looking at including other servers information. If you do have any ideas on making it all work together please talk to me. I will not allow other servers specific player or faction information on there until there is a well thought out plan for dealing with the different servers info. The end result needs to be clear, communicate which server, work with the wiki search button, the styles, accuracy with content, consistent with context, and be useful.

There is still lots to do on this wiki in terms of General Mod information, and these are what we as Wiki editors are focusing on (alongside adding things for our own server.)

----

People from this server, feel free to add your character and ship information. Especially long term players and well known ingame characters. Please add links to your forum stories, and other related information so that people can know about you.

When you add information to the wiki, please take time to MAKE IT ACCURATE. Double check your stuff. There are alot of people reading the wiki now. Be consistent and accurate.

COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. - Lucend - 09-28-2009

I think it would be a cool idea for other factions, if they do indeed exist on other servers, to be included in the wiki with additionally having them link their server webpage or pennant information so any user can look them up.

Might provide more diversity and a greater sense of community between disco mod users versus disco RP 24/7 server users.

COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. - chovynz - 09-28-2009

That is a plan for the future, but not right now.
At the moment there is an other server list which is sufficient for now.

COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. - Fletcher - 09-28-2009

I have a suggestion.

Make a Wiki campaign with something everyone wants in this server.

Ships, CODES and money.

I would be willing to trade some more to chip money in towards people contributing to the Wiki, and I'd be happy to ask if I can become an editor, albeit in training since I've never edited the Disco Wiki. But I'm getting 4 day weekends with my course and would be willing to go for a good cause.

When it comes to that idea before, ships codes and money could be earned or nominated by the current Wiki editors for the best helpers.

This may encourage more users, and continue the improvement and additions to the Disco Wiki.

COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. - chovynz - 09-29-2009

Interesting idea. Might have some merit.

Whose going to supply those? I certainly can't. I barely have enough money I'm so busy on the wiki.:D

Pity that people have to be rewarded to do good work...

------

I can certainly provide Wiki training, however the best way is to jump in and start. Ask questions either here, on skype or anywhere else you can grab me/us. My PM box is hungry.

(hmmm. I might make some wiki tutorials on this forum.)

COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. - Barrier - 09-29-2009

I'll contribute to the Wiki from my Freelancer char by exploring the uncharted systems. (pictures, uninhabited planets info, stuff...)
In RP, I'll call Wiki W.I.K.I. - World-wide Interspacial Knowledge Infonet.

COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. - Elvin - 09-29-2009

Just remembered one of the posters.

"Common sense is so rare that it's a goddamn superpower!"

COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. - Alex. - 10-05-2009

Crucial_Mistake, don't bother, soon Cshake will have made a content generator for bases.:P

COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. - Barrier - 10-05-2009

' Wrote:Crucial_Mistake, don't bother, soon Cshake will have made a content generator for bases.:P

Err, ok?
It's not like I'm doing contents of bases... Just filling up the empty systems.

COMMON SENSE NOTICE: Watch your mouth. - Canadianguy - 10-05-2009

CShake made a wiki code generator for IDs, Commodities, Ships and Weapons (Maybe one ore two more, but thats what I tough of.). These where 100% functional before the update, while they might be now, we still need to verify it to make sure if it gives the good info.
Althoug, the generators for IDs and Commodities are all correct.

Any work on the wiki will be welcome, either its pictures or info.
Here is the todo list. Still, dont really base you on it for now, since it dates from before the update.
http://discoveryfl.com/wiki/index.php?titl...ki:TODO#Systems

And Crucial mistake, you are doing a nice job on systems, keep it on, dont worry about what Alex said.