Discovery Gaming Community
The death.. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: The death.. (/showthread.php?tid=2865)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The death.. - Dab - 05-16-2007

Well hard drive busted. Goes to show harddrives are not parent-proof on laptops.. Mother slammed it shut, and now she has to dish out ~230 USD to fix it and buy me a new harddrive. Yes, you heard right. A new harddrive. That means FL gone .(Need a new copy, don't think its sold anymore, and the bittorrent I got mine from before no longer has any seeders.) Korrd has the AW treasury account, which means I have a Luxury Liner to trade with, AW treasury ship, my AW GB and a nomad fighter due to be decommissioned.. I'd ask for compensation, but this is kind of my own fault for not heeding my own advice and e-mailing it to myself.. Didn't think my mother would turn her hand into a hammer and hit my laptop closed..

This means ALL AW ships of mine are lost (unless I sent copies to Korrd when I sent that treasury account key [unlikely]) as are my infamous pirates.

Not sure when I'll be able to get back on the server. Another 2-3 days for my laptop to come back, after that it depends on how long it takes to get another version of the game. (To all those out there with pirated copies.. HELP!)

You won't see me on Xfire/Skype/MSN/AIM/TS for a few days. Hopefully I'll have it this weekend.

The only good to come of this is that I'm upgrading from a 50gig to a 100gig HD.

The death.. - supernova - 05-16-2007

Wow..that sucks...My mom got mad at me once and uninstalled FL/FLMM/FLAM and I didnt have the accounts backed up...I know the feeling man.:sleep:

The death.. - Razr - 05-16-2007

Wow wierd i never have to back up my account after uninstalling FL i just unistall, install and wham! i got all my accounts and characters no idea why and how but Sry Dab!!!!!!!!

The death.. - Virus - 05-16-2007

' Wrote:Wow wierd i never have to back up my account after uninstalling FL i just unistall, install and wham! i got all my accounts and characters no idea why and how but Sry Dab!!!!!!!!

Because no matter what you do (unless you manually delete them), the account ID is permanently saved in the registry of Windows... Now, when you get a new hard drive or wipe it completely, that registry key goes away. For good.

The death.. - supernova - 05-16-2007

Well my accounts were still there but when I went to Program Files/Microsoft Games/Freelancer/EXE/MyFLAccountID And I tried to print it up it said <Not Found>:(

The death.. - onca - 05-16-2007

That's too bad, Dab. Nothing like a bit of "percussive maintenance" to hasten that PC upgrade :\

I have a cracked FL I torrented a while ago... if you still have no luck getting a copy I'll, get this one to you somehow. (Free file sharing sites anyone? Gmail attachment? Snail mail... nooooooo!)

The death.. - Fellow Hoodlum - 05-16-2007

Dab is now suffering from what we call here ... 'A Virus'. Not the sort that infects your computer, but the
complete loss of all accounts, chars etc. caused by unrelated family events. This is commomplace to those
that fail to back their accounts up with the old fashioned methods of e-mail, printing out, or even pen and
paper.

Hoodlum

The death.. - Virus - 05-16-2007

... Haha, Hood. Named it after me, how nice of ya.:dry:

The death.. - Eppy - 05-16-2007

Oh, that's cold. Let's keep using it till V kills somebody.

The death.. - Korrd - 05-16-2007

The error you described to me has nothing to do with a fried HDD. Only with a fried partition table.

Tell those "Tiefnicians", to tell you the truth instead of replacing your functional disk with a new overpriced one that you are paying, effectively giving them an used disk to sell.

Because UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME means that the partition table is damaged, not that the disk is fried...