Discovery Gaming Community
Broken Bonds - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Broken Bonds (/showthread.php?tid=37767)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Broken Bonds - Capt. Henry Morgan - 04-03-2010

' Wrote:I'd recommend renaming House Queensland to something like Oceania. Queensland doesn't really sound... like a house name following the Freelancer theme.
Of course it does. Rheinland/Rhineland, anyone? We are open to suggestions, however. Everything's a work in progress at the moment. Oceania makes me think of 1984, which is not the imagery we're trying to evoke with the Australian house.

Broken Bonds - tansytansey - 04-04-2010

Liberty is named after America's ideals and apparant slogan
Bretonia is a play on Britain (I would have named it Albion or something personally)
Kusari is Japanese for chainmail or something, which is quite a symbolic name, each ring in chainlink extends to the chainlinks around it, individually they are worthless but linked together they are strong.
Rheinland is a play on Rhineland. I'm not sure of it's meaning. Seems to be a broad term describing an area in Germany around the two World Wars.
Gallia is something to do with the latin word for the french I think, the Gauls or something.
Lucania even, an ancient province of southern Italy.

But Queensland? It's a state of Australia.

It's just... too obvious and uninspired.

Broken Bonds - Sprolf - 04-04-2010

Kusari also has a double meaning as "corruption."

Broken Bonds - Capt. Henry Morgan - 04-04-2010

' Wrote:Liberty is named after America's ideals and apparant slogan
Bretonia is a play on Britain (I would have named it Albion or something personally)
Kusari is Japanese for chainmail or something, which is quite a symbolic name, each ring in chainlink extends to the chainlinks around it, individually they are worthless but linked together they are strong.
Rheinland is a play on Rhineland. I'm not sure of it's meaning. Seems to be a broad term describing an area in Germany around the two World Wars.
Gallia is something to do with the latin word for the french I think, the Gauls or something.
Lucania even, an ancient province of southern Italy.

But Queensland? It's a state of Australia.

It's just... too obvious and uninspired.
I get what you're saying there. I didn't care for Oceania for the aforementioned reasons, but I didn't find anything in Australian history that would've fit. I'm in favor of a renaming of House Queensland, but I'm short on ideas.

Broken Bonds - NixOlympica - 04-06-2010

So ... what about feedback from some other people?

Broken Bonds - Tenacity - 04-06-2010

Hm... this is actually one of the concepts that had come up in our 250 AS dev chat. Might consider joining teams.

Broken Bonds - Dusty Lens - 04-06-2010

In a turn of events best described as amusing I was having this very conversation with Blodo this morning in addition to having discussed the idea at length with people in the past.

Feel free to throw me into the chat sometime. I have a lot of ideas that I would really enjoy discussing with you.

But then again my concept has almost nothing to do with what you've outlined so far. Being more of a wild west/dystopia type scenario with emphasis on player established lore as opposed to FL esq cookie cutter concepts.

Broken Bonds - Coin - 04-06-2010

Australasia?

Liguria? Etruscia? Italia? Romana?

Broken Bonds - pieguy259 - 04-07-2010

I had ideas about an Australian House. Skype me.

Broken Bonds - Turkish - 04-07-2010

I'll Skype you guys sometime, but keep going please. I really like the angle you're coming from and have some thoughts.

Also, the Canadian thing was pure humour.:)