Discovery Gaming Community
Broken Bonds - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Broken Bonds (/showthread.php?tid=37767)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Broken Bonds - Capt. Henry Morgan - 12-31-2010

' Wrote:Mkay... that is awesome. It is so god damn awesome, that I wet my pants while looking at the first post. And that was before I even read it. Once I had read it I was... well, no need to explain what happened then.

Anyway, sounds/looks great! And THANKS for the new trade lanes!
Since I didn't read the entire thread, I shall, even if it has been done before, ask, when is this gonna be done?! CUZ ME WANT IT!!!!11!!!ONEONE!!!11eleven!
We're glad you like what we're doing. It's really coming together nicely so far. As for a release date, we're nowhere near even thinking about a beta release. As far as we've come, we've still got a long way to go.

Broken Bonds - arvg - 12-31-2010

I must say, this project is shaping up into something unique and rather interesting.

Broken Bonds - Shagohad - 01-01-2011

This shows promise. Sign me up.

Broken Bonds - Capt. Henry Morgan - 01-04-2011

Hello there, boys and girls. Time for another preview into what's going down with everyone's favorite Freelancer mod! For this one, I was considering showing off another system, but decided on a different treat this time. For today's preview, we've got a couple new visual effects. Screenshots don't really do them justice, as they're animated in-game. Still, these will give you the idea.

First one up is for a normal jump hole. When I get around to it, we'll be relabeling them as unstable wormholes (no real reason, just our preference). I always hated the vanilla jump hole's appearance. Not nearly impressive enough for what's supposed to be an odd gravitational anomaly. This one is much better.

Unstable Wormhole 1
Unstable Wormhole 2

A wormhole is supposed to be a type of singularity, so we chose the effect accordingly. The accretion disc is formed by dust and gases captured by the wormhole's gravity well. The bright part in the center is where particles are striking the event horizon, giving off light in the process. Despite the bight, flashy effects, it does no damage to your ship, and otherwise works just like a normal jump hole.

The second new effect is for a different type of wormhole. A stabilized one. The Lucanian Empire relies on artificial wormholes to move between systems, similar to Sirian jump gates. The Southern Cross Commonwealth, on the other hand, had no luck in developing their own artificial wormhole technology. In fact, their failure was marked by a major disaster that devastated Planet Perth in 297 AA (500 AS in Sirius) Instead, they focused on stabilizing natural wormholes, culminating in the creation of the Wormhole Stabilizer Ring. The process changes the appearance of the wormhole itself. Here's the screenshots:

Stabilized Wormhole 1
Stabilized Wormhole 2

Notice that the ring is missing. I have a model sitting around for that purpose, but I still need to convert and implement it. Look for that in a future update. For now, we're just showing off the visual effects.

That's all for now, children. Keep checking in for more previews and updates!

Broken Bonds - Toaster - 01-04-2011

New Wormholes?
Different types of "Jumpgates" for the houses?

This, sir, is AWSHUM!!!!

Now get the bloody mod done so that I can powergame it 24/7 pl0x

Broken Bonds - schlurbi - 01-04-2011

***Excitement***

Broken Bonds - Malenka - 01-14-2011

This is awesome, I have no skill in modding or anyting, but I can put up some ideas :O

Broken Bonds - Erasmas - 01-20-2011

Same here. If you need anything very simple, like building stations or systems with FLE, I guess I could give it a try; otherwise, I'm willing to partecipate to brainstorming sessions.

I have something to say about the name of the Lucanian Empire. I am italian, and that name sounds plain silly to me. Lucania has never been a very important region for Italy (it doesn't even have that name anymore in the charts nowadays), nor it was for the Roman Empire: basically, they invaded and conquered that area only for the widespread woodlands that once occupied the region, which they needed to build their fleet. Period. Now, Lucania is a territory of farmers and sheperds, with little else of notice, so I'm sorry, but as much as I can try, the name Lucanian Empire really doesn't inspire me the slightest idea of grandeur ^^'

If you really don't want to use the name "Roman Empire" (and I can understand that), you can always try for variants: Tiberian Empire, for example, from the Tiber river that crosses Rome. The possibilities are many, but you should stick with things that REALLY recall the Roman Empire.

Broken Bonds - Capt. Henry Morgan - 02-04-2011

Well, children, I know it's been a while since our last update, but we're still here! Our dev team has grown a bit, and we've been tossing a ton of ideas back and forth. Some of that is the focus of today's update. The initial post has been updated to show the changes we've made.

One of our new members is the guy who made the last post, and we took his point to heart about the name. We tossed a bunch of names around, and settled on one just yesterday. Without further ado, I present to you, the Medicean Empire. Where does that come from, you ask? Simple. It's based on the old, influential Medici family from Italy. We altered it a bit to give it a bit of a Latin flair, and we ended up with Medicean. It was the one idea that finally stuck out of at least two dozen others. Don't ask me to list them, because we're not changing it again!

For the other change, this is one we've been batting back and forth since we started the mod, and only recently come to a decision on it. It's the origins of the Medicean Empire's leadership. We left it vague before, but now we've got some clarity. The Empire has it's origins in the Catholic church. You can read the details in the updated initial post, but long story short, all the Italian political leadership died on the trip. The Pope took charge of some of the remaining Italians, and set to organizing. Eventually they absorbed the other groups on New Rome, by which time the Church had corrupted significantly. Some were absorbed peacefully, others by force. By the time they established the Empire and went back into space, the Catholic Church had become corrupted almost beyond recognition. It has almost nothing in common with it's real-life, present day counterpart.

Well, that's all for today, keep tuned in for more details, and keep posting those comments and questions! It's nice to feel loved. :)

Broken Bonds - DartStriker - 02-04-2011

Hey you guys, I had another ship I made for you. I lost it when my computer crash finally dug out all my old files. I just need to find it again. It's was some kind of freighter thing I think.