Discovery Gaming Community
Custom Bases - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: Custom Bases (/showthread.php?tid=47368)

Pages: 1 2 3

Custom Bases - Not Espi - 09-22-2010

' Wrote:Design Restrictions

What MUST NOT be added to a faction system:

14) Objects added by Discovery. Use original models for everything, even for weapon platforms. The last Discovery-added model should be Nightfall's dockable Outcast dreadnought. No more allowed.

am i to understand this as 'No custom base models'?

Not even if modelled, textured, hitboxed etc and tested before the submission?

Asking because we would like a custom modelled base for a system and if it won't be used, it's a waste of time.

Custom Bases - AeternusDoleo - 09-22-2010

There's a number of systems that violate this rule already, if I read this correctly. For instance, Vespucci uses Rogue Destroyers as turrets. Those are not original models present in base freelancer.

Custom Bases - Curios - 09-22-2010

Well this statement not going together with latest dev's announce for modelers to stop making ships and start making stations\weapon platforms and other stationery and misc content.

Custom Bases - Jinx - 09-22-2010

custom models in general may be a "guideline" not to be used...

reasons for that:

- players in general get carried away with things they so "desperately need... and more... even totally DESERVE" - hence, custom stuff tends to get too big, too awesome, too much....

- guard systems are not meant to change the faction characteristics dramaticly ( planets for zoners, food for corsairs, cardamine-rehabilitation facilities for outcasts, a copy of gaia for gaians... whatever )

all in all.. custom models can be used i think. ( but in terms of models that can basicly also be used elsewhere ) - so maybe not something like an outcast facility whats littered with maltese crosses everywhere.

a dreadnought should not be a problem, nor any other custom , but still generic station material. - as long as its use is in RP - reasonable and fitting. i wouldn t even mind seeing a unique temple of eris ( or whatever the name was ) in baffin with a unique mesh and all. - our mod is named "disovery" - so ppl can discover stuff. ( mind you - our server is also called roleplay )

edit:

to be clear about it

- yes, we can use custom models and model parts for guard systems and public systems alike.
- yes, a station part / module can be made for a faction - as long as it can also be used publicly, too ( meaning, it may not be something that the faction "claims as their own" ) - that means that you don t have a faction-copyright on it ( faction as in playerfaction ) - but thats also mostly up to the situation.
- it must go along with the factions history ( canon )
- it must be reasonable. - meaning - no mega shipyards of uberness, no habitats that exceed augsburg by a twentyfold.... etc.

edit2:

- the order is supposed to get a custom base / shipbase in their system
- as said previously - unique station designs are appreciated to achieve more variety. - cause why does a corsair station look exactly the same as a liberty station after all.

Custom Bases - Slartibartfast - 09-22-2010

' Wrote:- guard systems are not meant to change the faction characteristics dramaticly ( planets for zoners, food for corsairs, cardamine-rehabilitation facilities for outcasts, a copy of gaia for gaians... whatever )

Hmmmm...

Custom Bases - frozen - 09-22-2010

in addition to what jinx has said, a base model's standards/quality requirements are much higher than a ship, since it will be a static object. so if you wish to do that, bear in mind that your model must be nigh perfect, in both modelling, texturing, as well as hitbox, because we do not have the spare resources to divert to creating hitboxes for someone else as it stands.

furthermore, do not forget, hitboxes for structures can only be made via sur splicing.

your model has also got to be sensible as jinx stated. no nuke production faclities for gallia who can launch em from burgundy to NY, or a food creating artificial planet for the corsairs, etc. and make sure you test your models before you submit anything.

Custom Bases - Denelo - 09-22-2010

' Wrote:Vespucci uses Rogue Destroyers as turrets

Um. What?

The Hellfire Legion doesn't have stationary Rogue Destroyers in Vespucci.

The Hellfire Legion also wouldn't use them as... turrets(?) even if we did.

Did you maybe mean Cassini?

Also, the guideline in question is talking about dockable bases, not undockable non-bases (which are actually usually done as weapon platforms or similar).

Edit: Also, 2001st post. Custom title. Woot.

Custom Bases - AeternusDoleo - 09-22-2010

Yep. I meant Cassini. My bad. So basically, any base you whip together out of a few common components would be okay... (Which can end up something the size of Shasta) but anything you model yourself is not? That's what was meant here if I interpret this correctly?

Custom Bases - yurineova - 09-23-2010

Some custom stations would be intreguing, but for the most part, every station in discovery shares a generic base and is made from generic parts.

From these parts a custom base might be makeable

Like wise, a remodel of certain things (like, lets say the Zoners developed a new type of biodome) would also be interesting to see.

Its a very very picky and sensitive subject and therefore generally is jsut thrown to zero tolerence "no more custom bases".

It may change before/after 4.86 however.

Custom Bases - Seth Karlo - 09-25-2010

Outdated. Last I heard it was knock yourself out on making new base models.