Discovery Gaming Community
Quick RP question - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Quick RP question (/showthread.php?tid=5098)

Pages: 1 2

Quick RP question - Dusty Lens - 12-21-2007

So, without delving into all of the boring details; I found myself in a situation where it seemed prudent to take my burning transport to land on Huston rather than let it sit in the way of some gent's enthusiastic live fire exercises.

While sitting on the landing pad, cleaning out my cockpit, I decided to go ahead and look through the neighboring systems to see if I could track down any friendly LSF who might come on over and give a lecture on weapon safety.

I found one in New York, with me being in Texas, and shot him a private comm wondering if he could round up some folk and lend a hand to a poor working man.

Didn't get a response but, that aside, was that a move that was on the level? Or somewhat shady? Inquiring minds want to know.

Quick RP question - Drake - 12-21-2007

That's fine, and a good idea for a trader being pestered by pirates in an area of space which has lawful defenders. Just long-range comms.

Quick RP question - Spear - 12-21-2007

Nothing wrong with that, just bear in mind that the person you are contacting may not be able to respond wether they are AFK or fighting. I get PM's all the time and sometimes you just cant reply.

Quick RP question - Scott_Rip - 12-21-2007

Just thought my question belonged in this thread...

Is it generally considered appropriate RP to ask about ships, equipment, trade routes, or even factions and allegiances? For instance I have a character which appears to be a Molly to everybody, but I haven't dealt with the Mollys for some time. It seems to me that trying to explain this could be done without necessarily going OOC. But if you all disagree, I recognize this aint my server and I'm still new. So...

Quick RP question - Horon - 12-21-2007

Generally, you are supposed to RP in system chat. But, PM's are ok as far as I know. Just make sure the other person knows you are talking OOC.

Quick RP question - P*Funk - 12-21-2007

' Wrote:Is it generally considered appropriate RP to ask about ships, equipment, trade routes, or even factions and allegiances?
You ever asked someone where the bus stop was? Ever inquired as to the best produce in the neighbourhood? Ever seen someone playing with a new tech toy and asked him how much it cost and where he got it? People keep saying "Its discovery, go discover." as an excuse to not help people. Fact is that in real life people are outside of the know and most people don't spend hours determining the current standings of groups or where to find this thingy (besides 90% of the ship info is in the readme). People learn by word of mouth.

So... who are you? Which faction are you in? What does that name mean? Hey where do I find a gun like that? Wheres this system I've been hearing about?

All valid questions since we ask them in real life too. IC is always better because thats the reason you're here right? And people can choose not to answer, but I think they should also give it an IC reason. Like... maybe a Corsair isn't gonna tell a trader with a strong GC affiliation where to get a Tizona...

But going out of character to get the info can sometimes be necessary or also faster cause sometimes you don't want to RP a noob.

Hope that helps....

Quick RP question - Scott_Rip - 12-21-2007

Thank you, Funk. May way of thinking is exactly the same. I was just looking for confirmation. It just seems on the server that people have different views about what constitutes being in character.

Quick RP question - P*Funk - 12-21-2007

' Wrote:Thank you, Funk. May way of thinking is exactly the same. I was just looking for confirmation. It just seems on the server that people have different views about what constitutes being in character.
I know what you mean. I once was getting hassled in my Outcast Smuggler character for the Blue Lotus crew and this LSF bugger was camping out a Rogue base wanting to waste me. I just yapped and finally told him I was only in a Starflier... well he told me, OOC, that I shoulda told him I was setting up a char and that he'd have let me be, but I found it more fun just to say the exact same thing but IC, even though it took longer.

Some people just want the wet dream of mega battles and PvP, and don't have patience for the little stuff.

Quick RP question - bluntpencil2001 - 12-21-2007

' Wrote:You ever asked someone where the bus stop was? Ever inquired as to the best produce in the neighbourhood? Ever seen someone playing with a new tech toy and asked him how much it cost and where he got it? People keep saying "Its discovery, go discover." as an excuse to not help people. Fact is that in real life people are outside of the know and most people don't spend hours determining the current standings of groups or where to find this thingy (besides 90% of the ship info is in the readme). People learn by word of mouth.

So... who are you? Which faction are you in? What does that name mean? Hey where do I find a gun like that? Wheres this system I've been hearing about?

All valid questions since we ask them in real life too. IC is always better because thats the reason you're here right? And people can choose not to answer, but I think they should also give it an IC reason. Like... maybe a Corsair isn't gonna tell a trader with a strong GC affiliation where to get a Tizona...

But going out of character to get the info can sometimes be necessary or also faster cause sometimes you don't want to RP a noob.

Hope that helps....

Thank you. I'm not alone!

Quick RP question - Hyperwave22 - 12-22-2007

Quote:Thank you. I'm not alone!

Make that at least three of us.

And, Dusty Lens, sounded perfectly acceptable. A lot of people will place //, OOC, etc. in front even in a private message, but I think it's unnecessary. There comes a time when RP can be taken too far. In private chat, it should be used as necessary, but not as a standard.

Hype