Discovery Gaming Community
Widescreen 1920x1080 Perfect HUD Trick - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Widescreen 1920x1080 Perfect HUD Trick (/showthread.php?tid=63265)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Widescreen 1920x1080 Perfect HUD Trick - Kirzan - 07-15-2011

**************** IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE UNTIL THIS NOTICE HAS BEEN REMOVED ****************
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY INSTALLED THIS GUIDE, PLEASE DEFER FROM PLAYING MULTIPLAYER OR REVERT BACK CHANGES

Guide is pending approval, jflp.dll might be considered a cheat due to it's supposed maneuverability features. This still needs to be tested out in Single-player, anyone can help me with this. I personally cannot get Barrel rolls and Vertical/Horizontal Strafing to work. Refer to the updated "dacom.ini" to disable said features.

----------

Hi everyone, I'm Kirzan and I am new to this Freelancer modding and Discovery thingie!

First off I would like to apologize if this trick has already been covered elsewhere. In my hourly extensive quest to make this game show in my 1080p resolution with the HUD perfectly placed in ALL menus, I have searched everywhere in vain. Also, I would like to point out that if using jflp.dll is "illegal" or something... well... I guess you can delete this thread!

Onto the trick! Installation order is crucial and some things might sound stupid... but doing this exactly has worked on 2 different configurations (both using 1920x1080 native monitors) Thing is... I couldn't get it to work if I didn't do it exactly in this order. Game would crash on boot.

REQUIREMENTS:
Freelancer Mod Manager 1.3 Safe Version, added out of fear of being shunned.
Latest version of Discovery.
Latest version of HudShift.
Latest version of Jason's Freelancer Patch (JFLP)

*NOTE* You might need to make .ini files NOT Read-Only. You will know it when you won't be able to save it. So just make dacom.ini and freelancer.ini NOT Read-Only.

*NOTE* Freelancer Mod Manager is ONLY used to install Discovery. So get whichever version you know is safe, legit, and works for you.

STEPS:
1. Install Freelancer Mod Manager.
2. Install Discovery.
3. Patch Discovery by booting the game once.
4. Copy HudShift.dll and jflp.dll into your EXE folder.
5. Copy HudShift.ini to your DATA>INTERFACE folder.
6. Configure HudShift.ini by removing the comments on your desired Aspect Ratio.

Quote:; 16:9 (1280x720, 1440x810, 1600x900, 1920x1080).
[HUDShift]
Horizontal = 0.17

7. Configure dacom.ini located in your EXE folder to look like this:

Quote:[Libraries]
;;;dosfile.dll
ReadFile.dll ;optimized read-only version of dosfile.dll
x86math.dll
EngBase.dll
system.dll
RP8.dll
SoundStreamer.dll
SoundManager.dll
Deformable2.dll
Thorn.dll
Shading.dll
RendComp.dll
alchemy.dll
ximage.dll
.\flmaterials.dll
jflp.dll nofovx nostats no4way no8way
hudshift.dll
dsupdate.dll
dsace.dll

8. Double check and make sure "jflp.dll" has the "nofovx" modifier that way for some reason jflp takes care of all cameras in the game and it looks fantastic.
9. Double check and make sure "jflp.dll nofovx" and "hudshift.dll" are both above "dsace.dll" (That's the part I'm not sure if it's relevant or not... either way, it works if and doesn't if not.)
10. Proceed to your C:\Users\(username)\Documents\My Games\Freelancer\ folder.
11. Edit "PerfOptions.ini" so that the bottom part looks like this (That space after the comma is IMPORTANT):

Quote:[Display]
size= 1920, 1080
color_bpp= 32
depth_bpp= 24

12. That about does it... if you're resolution is still weird, edit the [Display] part of your Freelancer.ini located in your EXE folder.

Screenshots as per request:

[Image: screen1ave.th.jpg]

Screenshot of the Main Menu. As you can see, the font size and menu placement are perfect.

[Image: screen2sms.th.jpg]

Screenshot of the Load/New Game menu. As seen with different attempts at getting this to work, the details text isn't overlapping the border. Everything is placed perfectly again.

[Image: screen5d.th.jpg]

Screenshot of the first login to the server. As you can see, the green login text is there meaning I have not been to space yet. The HUD elements are all placed meaning I loaded that way with everything placed right.

[Image: screen6ee.th.jpg]

Screenshot of the in-game HUD. Everything on screen edges, Shield/Hull/Energy bars look great, Fonts are sharp and clear, everything looks good!

NAV MAP SCREENSHOTS:

[Image: screen8j.th.jpg]

Basic Nav Map as first opened.

[Image: screen9r.th.jpg]

Nav Map with a Right Click for options.

[Image: screen10g.th.jpg]

Zoomed in Nav Map.

[Image: screen11e.th.jpg]

Nav Map with a Player Waypoint. Looks the same for Mission Waypoints.

[Image: screen12k.th.jpg]

Political Map. Now I never got far enough in this game to actually use this to my advantage so I don't know if all that white is normal. I assume it is because every single Reputations around me are Neutral.

[Image: screen13nl.th.jpg]

Asteroid Fields.

[Image: screen15g.th.jpg]

Universe Map. I should add that all the clicks and the clacks work fine too. Like the zoom in option and all.

I'm sorry for the general lack of POIs on my maps... this was made before I even started playing. Though from what I've seen, some maps really just don't have ANY text or... anything on them except the pilot's own position.

******UPDATES******
(If you used this guide, make sure to update yours accordingly)

- Added "nostats no4way no8way" to "jflp.dll nofovx" in the "dacom.ini" quote.
NOTE: THIS UPDATE MUST BE MADE BY ANYONE WHO HAS INSTALLED THIS! It disables vertical and horizontal strafing which could be considered cheating.

-----------
That is all,
Kirzan out...

Widescreen 1920x1080 Perfect HUD Trick - Dart - 07-15-2011

could you provide a screenshot?

Widescreen 1920x1080 Perfect HUD Trick - FraserTE - 07-15-2011

i need this for 1366/768 on a widescreen

' Wrote:i need this for 1366/768 on a widescreen

I'm no Pro or anything, this was a LOT of trial and error. HOWEVER! You could try doing the same thing but using your appropriate Aspect Ratio in HudShift.ini (resolutions are written in each section) and modify PerfOptions.ini to reflect your resolution. No guarantees! That's just logic speaking. Theoretically, jflp.dll should take care of automatically adjusting cameras for you.

Screenshots and Links added.

Links are from: Adoxa, ModDB, Discoveryfl.

Widescreen 1920x1080 Perfect HUD Trick - mwerte - 07-15-2011

I feel kinda bad because you wasted a fair amount of time, but that is pretty nifty reworking of the system.

For the lazy among us, here is the easy way. http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49046

e; and yes, this way works with 1366/768

' Wrote:I feel kinda bad because you wasted a fair amount of time, but that is pretty nifty reworking of the system.

For the lazy among us, here is the easy way. http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49046

e; and yes, this way works with 1366/768

I did the command line thing but it really didn't fill my need for perfection. Of course I would use it if I didn't work out a way to make the changes permanent and make 100% of the game look good. For me, the command line kept menus weird. I'm not sure but I think it also leaves your HUD in 4:3 so you get a weird HUD cluttered around the center of your screen with empty spaces on the sides. Again, that's just me wanting to squeeze every single detail I can out of this very old, yet very... omnipotent... game.

I don't see it as a waste of time though:)My friends who I will coerce into playing this will have a one-stop place to make their game beautiful.

Widescreen 1920x1080 Perfect HUD Trick - Zahas - 07-15-2011

Awesome work.

Widescreen 1920x1080 Perfect HUD Trick - AeternusDoleo - 07-15-2011

Nice. I've always been annoyed with the HUD not being at the screen edge. Will give this a try this evening.

Widescreen 1920x1080 Perfect HUD Trick - AceJoker - 07-15-2011

Good work, mate. But I herewith request a screenshot from your NavMap. Most widescreen users reports
that when play in widescreen, their NavMap is screwed up, cuz the numbers and letters are not perfectly aligned
with the grid, making quick coordinate setting a little more difficult. And that zoom-in-zoom-out trick doesn't work.